Chowhound archive and most memorable posts

I’m not really interested in the old Chowhound, but I just tried out the Wayback Machine. It took a long time to load, but I got a webpage with all the comments and everything. I had to click on “Discussion” and then open the list of boards.

2 Likes

Would you post the link that worked for you?

1 Like

First off
https://web.archive.org/web/20150320054328/http://chowhound.chow.com/boards

Then “View Full Board List”

5 Likes

I still can’t see comments on specific threads, unfortunately.

I go from View Full Board List → Home Cooking (or Manhattan), pull up a thread, and the original post shows up, but the comments don’t load.

For example this.

The landing page archives from 2022 and 2021 themselves don’t work. The one you linked is from 2015.

I’ll check other archive threads when I can. Hopefully they’re not all suddenly dead after being functional, but I think that may be wishful thinking.

Just by clicking around on various buttons I came up with this. I browse with Firefox and a slew of add-ons. I had to adjust the addons to get this.

2 Likes

Today I found I had saved this satisfactory conclusion to the “Metal Measuring Cup Stuck on Mason Jar” dilemma. Hat tip to this trio of 'hounds - youareabunny, DuchessNukem and kaleokahu - for their observations. They still make me laugh.
chowhound /post/metal-measuring-cup-stuck-mason-jar-921224

youareabunny

You liberated them!!! Congrats
Just keep an eye, they might have an affinity for each other after so many days together. Maybe keep them in separate drawers.

re: youareabunny
DuchessNukem 1 day ago

Seriously. These situations are where shot glasses and measuring spoons come from.

/topics/921224#8416456

re: DuchessNukem
kaleokahu 1 day ago

Hi, DN:

Which is precisely why every jar should be neutered, every cup spayed. Why do you think all the airport schlock shops are full of unwanted shot glasses?

The worst part is the deadbeat jars that pay no support!

Aloha,
Kaleo

2 Likes

Did anyone save the (2018 or 2019) document-link to CH’er TorontoJo’s Thanksgiving Plan spreadsheet? I downloaded the spreadsheet at the time so I have my own copy. But I am curious whether her spreadsheet is still in a publicly shared file area that can be given to others?

1 Like

Disappointed. Went to re-read “Mooch & Hooch” & the link just brings up the “revived” CH which doesn’t do forums. Also, it looks to me like they’re recycling old articles.

3 Likes

Are you saying CH isn’t what it used to be? :joy: :rofl: :joy:

6 Likes

Heh my suspicion is that they’re re-posting archived articles w/ current dates. The authors are prob paid w/ “exposure”. (See The Oatmeal’s take on “exposure”)

Oh, I know “exposure.” That’s how cheap-ass dives try to lure newbie bands to play. Maybe throw in a free beverage, too. Maybe :wink:

3 Likes

Drinks for the bands or the patrons?

2 Likes

The bands. One free drink is actually usually standard, or at least a discount.

2 Likes

“Chicken wire?”

1 Like

Apparently you’ve never seen the movie.

1 Like

I’ve always assumed literally everybody has seen Animal House, The Blues Brothers, National Lampoon Vacation and Caddyshack. I am wrong!

2 Likes

I’ve seen Animal House. Didn’t think it was very funny. Perhaps my lack of a sense of humor prevented me from seeing those other “classics”?

1 Like

I’m a juvenile delinquent at heart.

4 Likes

Don’t sell yourself short. Maybe not a delinquent?

1 Like