Choosing Canned Tuna - In Over My Head!

I thought that all Kewpie mayonnaise contains MSG and that’s one of the reasons it tastes so good.

2 Likes

Apparently the containers made here in the U.S. don’t have MSG listed in their ingredients. I get mine in an Asian market and labeled "product of Japan ", and it lists MSG.

Thanks to @shrinkrap I’m jonesing for Kewpie. Someone tie me off.

3 Likes

That explains it. I buy mine at Nijia, a Japanese grocery store.

2 Likes

I use Rio Mare the tin with additives (Mexican, Beans, or Lemon and Black Pepper) to place on top of salads.
The Rio Mare filets in a jar are very nice also.

For mayo, I usually make my own or use Hellman’s if I’m pressed for time and using just a small amount.

Amanda is a Chef and Diatician and talks about white and light tuna.
I’ve tried her recipe and it is a refreshing change from the usual.

2 Likes

@wkeber, I just noticed that you are new Welcome.
Great topic btw loving this thread.

3 Likes

Ortiz Ventresca in the red box…say no more. No mayo with this olive-oil-packed gem.
Like all the best tuna, comes from northern Spain. I make it with good lettuce and white beans, with pickled onions.

2 Likes

I have not tried Ortiz-Ventresca tuna
and will be checking out all of the European Shops.
Thanks for posting it will be fun to try and hunt it down.

Check out the delivery charge !

This one is a little more reasonable

2 Likes

I’ve never seen “Brindisa” Ortiz, and I agree that that shipping charge in insane! I always buy them in bulk, or when In Spain, where the price is not that low but you do not have to pay shipping. Yes, I was the person who dripped from a leaking Ortiz glass jar all through the airport in Santander after a buying spree!!

Take a look here:
https://www.amazon.com/Ortiz-Ventresca-White-Tuna-Belly/dp/B00AHLKC3M

2 Likes
2 Likes

How many cans? I can’t tell.

In the past on Amazon, “Prime”/ free delivery I’ve bought

Six pack, 4 ounce cans each for $38 in 2016

12 pack in September 2015, $69.70!

And

6 pack 6.7 ounce jars for $41.95 in February 2020

When I find it locally I often just buy it.

I think I’ve tried Ortiz, but apparently not from Amazon. Must be good stu!

Lol !
This one is free shipping but the unit price is almost double (for me).
I have not tried Tonnino (from Costa Rica) because the jarred tuna is $1.00 more than Rio Mare fillets packed in oil.
Rio Mare canned yellowfin tuna comes packed in water at a reasonable price (when I want to add Mayo, green onion and curry or cream cheese, lemon and dill).
I’ll head out and check the European Shops for the Oritz.
Amazon sometimes is more expensive.
I remember reading about someone who was unable to get San Marzano tomatoes in their area and were paying around $38.00 on Amazon. I can get them here for around $5.00 from the Valle de Sarno region of Italy.
I will report back with my findings.

1 Like

Please do report back!! Even in Spain, I am finding the Ortiz “red box” to be more than 10 euro each…in Spain there are other brands but I keep going back to Ortiz…Don Bocarte is even more pricey and we can also get that in NYC…Rio Mare a little less pricey, I think but I just stick to Ortiz. If you can go to Herpec, east of Cadiz, they have a factory where prices might be lower…I hope to get there next winter…

2 Likes

Is there some basis for the overwhelming view here that European tuna is better than the rest, or is it the packing in oil etc. that contributes to this satisfaction?
I’m close enough to tuna in the Pacific that I’m wondering how much difference there really is?

2 Likes

Spain and Portugal hands down.

2 Likes

I love tuna from Spain and Portugal as well. But I get gorgeous, line caught, hand-packed tuna on the Oregon Coast that is different but I would argue equally good. It is one of the highlights of a trip out there - which is saying a lot.

4 Likes

@bbqboy,

It’s the oil packing that preserves the flavour better.
Also, Spain and Portugal are well known for their canned fish.
I stumbled across Rio Mare and it was both affordable and tasty.

@GretchenS

I’m sure that the Oregon one is good, if it’s the one that I saw online (3 choices of either: garlic, jalapeno or capers).

Eta:
I’m not familiar with the Oregon one and the one mentioned by @erica1 is tuna belly.
So although they are both albacore tuna yet not sure if we are comparing apples to oranges.

During the Pandemic when I was going through Rio Mare withdrawl, I found this one which wasn’t the same yet also good.
It’s skipjack tuna where Rio Mare is yellowfin.

2 Likes

There is a choice for me of 1, 2, 4 or 6 tins.

Thank you! I meant how many for $26.29, or is that for each can?

1 Like

It will have the amount of tins beside the oz (pack of 1) before you click on it to access the price.

3 Likes