Choosing Canned Tuna - In Over My Head!

Ortiz is good, but I prefer Flott and Callipo ventresca.

2 Likes

The cat likes the oil or water from the cans I’ll purchase for his handlers.
It varies what I purchase purchase depending on what dish I may be making and what is on sale.
Fancy recipes usually call for the albacores, otherwise it is Bumble Bee in water.
Once in a great while, and it has been awhile, I will purchase a jar of fine tuna chunks in oil for a salad Nicoise. Can’t remember the name or if I have even seen it in the stores lately.

2 Likes

Just found this at Grocery Outlet: Ocean Naturals canned solid tuna in olive oil: albacore $2.99, yellowfin $1.99. As promised, solid cut. Tasty! Responsibly caught. Company is in Bellevue WA though it’s packed abroad. https://oceannaturals.com/sustainability/

Best canned tuna in olive oil I’ve tried, and I’ve tried several imported brands. I prefer jarred confit-style belly (Oritz, Tonnino) but it’s pricey.

Inspired by this thread, I added msg to my homemade mayo :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any thoughts about this recipe? I think I would like it!

2 Likes

I like the Ortiz products

As for tuna, our pantry is stocked with the typical grocery brands like Star-Kiss and Chk of the Sea. What I enjoy the most theses days is tinned sardines. Enjoyed often straight from the can with a squirt of sriracha

3 Likes

For Sardine recipes, I enjoy watching Alex:

1 Like

My two favorite sardine preps are toasted country bread rubbed with garlic, mayo, nice ripe tomato sprinkled with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, sardines, arugula, and a squeeze of lemon. Some thinly sliced onion and chili flakes are optional; and the other is Daniel Gritzer’s charred broccoli salad with pickled onions, mint, and sardines.
Third would probably be locrio de sardinas, which is seasoned rice cooked with sardines. Good with a crunchy salad.
I will also happily eat them straight from the tin.

2 Likes

Definitely love Callipo.

I just got these sardines; I’ve never seen them packaged this way! Any thoughts?

1 Like

Those sardines look very inviting although I’m not a fan with them being exposed to light.
Are they shelf stable or refrigerated?

They appear to be shelf stable.

I could understand the clear plastic in the refrigerator section but not for a shelf stable product.

2 Likes

I’ve purchased that not long ago. They are good but not overly good to make me want to shell out more money compared to my normal purchase of Season brand sardines

1 Like

This tuna sandwich- made with Italian tuna in oil, rough chopped hard-boiled egg, grape tomato, arugula, radicchio and pickled onions - was fantastic.

6 Likes

Oh, that sounds so good! I probably don’t want to know, but how would you describe the bread?

1 Like

This was from an Italian bakery /pizza shop called Mattachioni in Toronto, and the bread was some sort of a high hydration white Italian loaf. Very fresh, chewy yet soft crumb.

Not a sourdough ( or not a sour sourdough), and the crust wasn’t especially thick, but it had some crunch. I find really crusty bread tears the roof of my mouth lately, so I was happy this one wasn’t like that.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I was buying Calippo or Rio tuna in oil for a long time.

I’ve been been buying Raincoast salt -free this year, since finding out I need to cut back on salt.

1 Like

I really like tuna but buying it can be a pain. You can get chunk (poor texture/scent) for 18 cents an ounce which is NOT my favorite. Or you can get wild caught solid white or albacore for 23 cents (not bad, but from Indonesia), or you can go for upscale brands like Ortiz (most of it caught off Spain, nice!) for more than a dollar an ounce. Other up scale brands start around 60 cents to 90 cents an ounce.
I have been getting different types of Tonnino (from Costa Rica, not bad) on sale for 60 cents an ounce because I like the flavor AND the texture and it has a long “use by date” so I can store it in my pantry. But Tonnino is usually more than a dollar an ounce if it is not on sale and it is usually net caught, I believe.
Line caught is EXPENSIVE.
But when 3 chefs all choose tuna for its hook, not its flavor or texture… I understand it but it still seems like food politics rather than quality of the food.
I have to admit that in this case I may not be putting my money where my mouth is. I am buying cheaper, less environmentally friendly, tuna on the basis of almost as good flavor and texture, even though they are net caught by countries that have lower standards for their fishing industry.
Tonnino for $4 is the real deal.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind paying the very high prices, there is a category of tuna that wipes all of those into the trash: Imported Spanish or Italian ventresca tuna, from the fish’s belly. They’ve got up very much in price in the past year but a brand like Ortiz, easy to find in the US, is sublime. Make certain you are looking at the can inside the red box–that is their ventresca; they also sell tuna from other parts of the fish. These are caught off the northern Coast of Spain in the Bay of Biscay. I just brought home about 25 cans from various producers that I bought in Spain last month.

Ooops…sorry, I see that I wrote about Ortiz tuna in much earlier posts on this thread. It’s now gone up to about $13 a can, or more, in Spain, but still marvelous, as is the belly of the red tuna, atun roja, caught off the coast of southern Spain.

3 Likes