CHINESE - Cuisine of the Quarter, Winter 2021 (Jan-Mar)

Also made the northern potsticker dumplings with grounded pork and bok choy. The wrapper recipe was completely different from any other type of dumplings I’ve made before, it used boiling water mix with flour for higher resistance.

I made a second batch the next day for steaming (same dumplings). As requested by H, the wrapper was made thinner than day one (photos above), it was much better but more prone to tearing after a (short) storage in a sealed glass box due to humidity accumulation.

14 Likes

Mr Happy, thanks for bringing these unusual dumplings to out attention. I’ve never seen an “open” version. Yours look delicious!

2 Likes

Beautiful form. You guys are killing it!

1 Like

Wow, that looks very tasty

1 Like

Peking Duck

12 Likes

I make jiaozi a few times a year.

10 Likes

Reminds of these long dumplings I ate in Taiwan:

Not sure if you have ever been to Taiwan. If not then why.on.earth haven’t you?! It’s oinkers’ paradise! :joy: :dumpling: :fish:

6 Likes

The bird looked delicious. Did you hang the duck to air dry before cooking?

1 Like

Thank you so much.

Yes, twice.

First after washing and stuffing it I let it dry in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Then after ladling the sweet maltose over it I let it rest to dry for 6 hours or so. Sometimes I’ll use a fan to help dry it out.

1 Like

I love the fact that when you buy a whole duck, you really got the feet, the head and everything.

Thanks for your reply. Just to make sure I understand correctly. The second drying was done before any cooking? Or the duck was precooked? Thanks.

1 Like

My pleasure.

No precooking.

Day 1: clean and apply seasonings to cavity. Dry in refrigerator 24 hours.

Day 2: season boiling water and soak the duck for a minute or so and remove.

Ladle maltose mixture over duck.

Dry for several hours.

Hang in smoker or oven at roughly 350 F for 45 - 60 minutes until done. Rest 15 minutes or so.

Tips: At the very start of day one I force air between the skin and meat. This forced helps to develop a crispy skin. . Turn it a couple times while cooking to help even cook/color.

Cheers!

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing the technique. :smile: Will try soon!

1 Like

That is one gorgeous duck! Thanks for all the pics and the helpful instructions!

2 Likes

Here is a recipe for that open version. Their recipes are quite reliable. This one is on my list to make but have not been able to find dumpling wrappers where I am.

2 Likes

Braised aubergine with minced pork, green beans and shiitake mushrooms.

8 Likes

I want that right now please!! Looks scrumptious.

Thank you so much. I can give more details if anyone is interested. I wouldn’t say it’s a lot of work but it does require some commitment. :blush:

2 Likes

Total respect to someone who makes their own Peking Duck.! I had it for my lockdown birthday meal a few weeks ago. Not possible for me at the mo as I’m in a one bedroom flat.

A few months ago I posited making Hainanese chicken rice. I mentioned I would need chicken racks after poaching. The missus told me I could get chicken racks when I bought her a new house😀

6 Likes

Peking duck is one of my favorite meals, but it’s so much easier going to a good restaurant and let them serve it table-side. :drooling_face:

Godspeed on the new house and the backyard festivals!

2 Likes

Definitely much easier having a restaurant do it. That’s precisely the reason I’m having dim sum delivered tomorrow.

1 Like