CHINESE - Cuisine of the Quarter, Winter 2021 (Jan-Mar)

Yunnan little pot rice noodle soup for lunch

10 Likes

Ordered from our favorite local Sichuan place tonight - dry pot beef and chow fun. This place uses a lot of lotus root in their dry pot, which I adore, and tonight they REALLY loaded up on the Sichuan peppercorns. I can’t feel my lips at all at the moment! As much as I love it, though, I have never really cooked with lotus root. Any tips? I have seen it available frozen at my local H-Mart - will have to pick up a bag next time I am there.

4 Likes

That looks fantastic! I have a hard time with cooking duck at home, except for confit legs and the occasional seared breast.

@biondanonima - I love lotus root! They are fantastic in soups, hot pot and stir fries. They are quite fibrous, and really didn’t have tons of flavor itself. If you are doing a stir fry, I slice very thin (use a mandolin). They cook up quickly that way and retain a nice crunch. I like a nice vegetarian stir fry (羅漢濟, “Buddhist” vegetarian stir fry) with a lot of thin sliced lotus root.

Edit: a small knob of lotus root can be a lot. I don’t know how big the Hmart bags are, but if you can find them loose, you may want to try it out with a small-medium sized knob first.

4 Likes

Closing out February with curry fish balls, with daikon and fried pig skin. A Hong Kong street food classic.

11 Likes

Lunch was dim sum made by a lady locally. Very good so much better than any of the local restaurants.

20210228_201452

Dinner was a freezer special. Rice from one takeaway and Peking duck from another. So I made egg fried rice.

11 Likes

WOW! So jealous. (Wait - where are you?)

1 Like

I’m in London. I am lucky to have this so close. She even makes custard tarts.

8 Likes

I made some northern-style boiled dumplings (shui jiao) with pork and garlic chives yesterday and cooked some up today for lunch.

11 Likes

Sounds and looks delicious. :yum:

2 Likes

I made fried udon noodles and fried cabbage with a sauce adapted from this recipe

20210228_183539

Turkey thighs with a Vietnamese-style sauce, with brown sugar, fish sauce, Maggi sauce, ginger , garlic , meyer lemon, cilantro, hot pepper and dried lemongrass

Adapted from Serious Eats

These prepared green onion pancakes were pretty good. Frozen, imported from Taiwan .

6 Likes

Dandan noodles for dinner

12 Likes

Dan Dan noodles is a favorite. Do you make a cold spicy noodle?

1 Like

It’s a fave of mine too! I don’t think I’ve made any Chinese cold spicy noodle dishes before. Have you tried making any? I may attempt to make liangpi at some point.

Vegetarian stir fry or 羅漢齋 (Cantonese: lo hon jaai). Typically a variety of vegetables and vegetarian ingredients. My version included:
Bean thread/mung bean noodles
Dried shiitake
Tofu skin
Tofu puffs
Gingko nuts
Lotus root
Wood ear
Napa cabbage
Mock abalone
Snow peas

12 Likes

Noodles with prawns,doubanjiang and a chill crisp and Szechuan pepper topping. Served with bok choi with sesame oil.

12 Likes

More of a faux peking duck dinner. I didn’t have a whole roasted duck, but used a duck breast I needed to cook. I’ve done this before with confit duck legs where I can get the skin really crispy. Definitely better with the duck legs where you can get the crispy skin. Light brush off hoisin sauce, scallions, wrap and go…

20210310_200720

10 Likes

I made a steamed pork cake with salted fish for lunch. Followed this recipe (halved it):

I didn’t have any Cantonese salted fish on hand so I just used anchovy fillets.

11 Likes

Anchovies! I’ve never thought of that! I’ve the possibility to find native salted cod here.

I think one can try salty shrimp paste as well, to replace salted fish.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Kum-Kee-Shrimp-Sauce/dp/B0000CNU5Q

Yeah it worked pretty well, both are salty and fishy I guess. The shrimp paste could work too. Is the salted cod like bacalhau? That might work though I think it may be less salty than the Cantonese salted fish.

Yes, the French morue is like portuguese bacalhau, salted cod: dried (either by sun or electrically nowadays) and salted.

Looks like there are several varieties in the Cantonese salted fish. Fermented and non fermented ones.

2 Likes