CHINESE - Cuisine of the Quarter, Winter 2021 (Jan-Mar)

Oh, that is not a lot as my son eats every 2- 3. hours. He is out sleeping in the boat this weekend with at least 4-5 friends( I see 3 cars in the parking lot ) and when they return this evening, they will probably at them up as they often stay over til late and sometimes sleep over. Last time,when I dehydrated the pork Bak Kwa, I had enough to last me a week in fridge.

I normally do not like fat. When I cook chicken , I spend a lot of time cutting out the fatty part esp that of ht thighs . As for pork, I do like a small piece of fat when I prepare sate babe ( that is the Indonesian BBQ pork on a stick with lots of garlic, hoisin sauce , sesame oil etc and pineapple juice) as burnt pork on the grill is delicious but my. son does not like that. That was the favorite part of my husband (rip).
I tend to cut out all the fat and I marinade with sesame oil and EVOO or evened coconut oil ,

3 Likes

I had to look this up - it sounds delicious!

1 Like

the Woks of Life’s Chinese braised lamb

Marion’s Red Braised Lamb with Egg Noodles

DIY 5 Spice

One of the Asian vegetables I can buy here is daikon. Normally I buy it whenever I need some danmuji for kimbap, and when I can’t get it I pickle beets instead.

Lately they’ve been stocking the daikon again, and I’ve been using it more. From Korean beef and radish soup to Cantonese braised beef brisket with daikon and lately variations of Chinese radish pancakes (luo bo si bing). This particular batch featured blanched shredded daikon, ground pork, and seasonings like ginger and soy sauce.
With the same dough and filling, I made essentially two different versions of these. The first were made with a very lightly greased pan and pressed pretty flat. The result is a lightly crisp but soft and chewy, pita-like pancake. The second were flattened less and cooked in more oil for a crispier, puffier result. I can’t decide which I like better, though my mom immediately insisted she liked the second kind better based on appearance before she’d even tried them :joy:. Both are completely delicious and I’m looking forward to continuing to make variations of these (baked in the oven, different add-ins and seasonings). These use up a ton of radish, so I can keep giving the supermarket that stocks it a reason to keep up the supply.
If I could get small head-on shrimp, I’d be making radish puffs, which I absolutely love. I’m thinking of trying bacon as an obviously different but also salty and savory substitute.

11 Likes

tenor-135677569

1 Like

Would love to see a recipe if you have one! Always looking for new ways to use Daikon.

Those look absolutely amazing!!

2 Likes

For the dough:

(Makes 8)
210 g water
1/2 tsp instant yeast
3 g salt (around 1 tsp of kosher salt, or 1/2 tsp table salt)
3 g of sugar (rounded 1/2 tsp)
300 g AP flour
20 g lard or neutral oil

In a medium bowl dissolve the yeast in the water along with the sugar, and add flour, salt, and lard or oil. Mix until it comes together then let rest 20 minutes. This is a very soft and sticky dough so don’t try to knead it. After 20 minutes give the dough a few quick kneads in the bowl with a floured hand just to smooth it out and shape it into a round. It will still be sticky because a wet dough allows for stretching easily when it’s time to fill. Let the dough rest 1 hour so the gluten relaxes and the yeast does its work.

For the filling:
1 kg radish
120 g ground pork
1 tbsp minced or grated ginger
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
2 tsp of sugar (can use less if you prefer)
1 tbsp soy sauce
Oyster sauce and dark soy sauce to taste, optional
3-4 scallions, sliced
Oil as needed

Bring a pot of water to a boil.
Peel and cut, grate, or shred the radish. I used my food processor for easy shredding, but a mandoline or grater can be pretty quick too.
Blanch the radish for 15 seconds then rinse under cold water.
When cool, squeeze the water out. I just use my hands, but you can squeeze it in a towel. All that radish will turn into two tiny fists’ worth.
Separate the radish shreds and set aside.
In a pan over medium heat add a tablespoon of oil or so and cook the ginger until fragrant. Add the pork and cook until no longer pink. Add wine, sugar, soy sauce, and the radish. Adjust the flavor with additional soy sauce or salt, and sugar. If you like, you can use a few shakes of oyster sauce to taste instead. I added a little dark soy for color. Add the scallions and remove from the heat.

With floured hands, divide the dough into 8 portions on a floured surface. Shape them into rounds and let rest 5-10 minutes. Divide the filling into 8 portions, too.
Stretch the dough into rounds about 1/4 inch thick. You can use your hands to pull it or just place the dough on the floured surface and flatten it with your hand. The dough stretches pretty easily. Place filling in the middle and enclose it in the dough. Round and flatten slightly and set aside until all the pancakes are formed.
If using sesame seeds, brush any flour off the top (smooth side) and spray water on them then dip in sesame seeds.
For the flatter, pita-like version, place a pan over medium-low heat and pour a little oil into it and spread with a paper towel. Place a pancake sesame side down and flatten it in the pan until about 1/4 inch thick. Let it cook enough to set the bottom then flip. Cover the pan and cook for 1 minute. Flip, cover, and cook another minute.

For the other cooking method, heat the pan over low heat and add 2-3 tbsp of oil. Add two pancakes (that’s how many I can fit at a time) and flatten to about 1/2 inch thick. Cook until lightly golden, then flip and cover. Cook about 2 minutes then uncover and flip and cook another minute or so until the dough is cooked and the top is golden.

9 Likes

Excellent, thank you so much!!!

1 Like

Thanks so much @Shellybean! Quite an awesome debut set of posts! So glad to have you join us!

Thank you!

1 Like

Rather than double dipping, I’m copy and pasting my recent post, highlighting some of yummy Chinese dishes I had at this - one of Toronto’s best Cantonese ‘hole-in-the-wall’ wok-hay stirred fry place!
Bring on the saliva!!

2 Likes

Hi Charles, thanks for sharing. This is actually a thread where we share Chinese (and sometimes Chinese-adjacent) dishes we have cooked.

OIC!
I’ll try digging out some of my Chinese creation from my library file!

Can’t wait!!

Hi Gretchen and Charles,

The COTQ threads live in the Home Cooking section, but they are actually meant to include broad discussions of anything relating to the cuisine in question, including restaurant dishes, specialty grocery tips, cultural insights and more. Feel free to post or cross-link your restaurant meals here - they often provide great inspiration for home cooks! Of course, we’d love to see your original creations as well!

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @biondanonima I thought it was about our own cooking.

1 Like

Making lamb based on this tonight

3 Likes

Adding possibly my favorite condiment here:

Ginger Scallion Oil / Sauce / Condiment / Sorcery

2 Likes
1 Like