Cherries are in season: How do you like them?

Just went to the new save mart that opened a few days ago not like the old save mart. They had large sweet bings for 1.70 a pound. We eat cherry straight up after washing.

Great price you got @Foodhunter!

My sour cherry score today!! But…I will have to do some marathon putting in the morning. The sour ones seem much more difficult and messy to pit than the dark ones. I will be dreaming of pies and Black Forest cakes in the dark of winter.

5 Likes

I cannot tell you how jealous I am!

2 Likes

Do you pit and freeze? Or do you need to parboil first?
Thanks-a newbie to freezing cherries. :roll_eyes:

Not Elsie, but freeze as is. If you have the room, spread out on a large cookie sheet or 1/2 sheet pan(s) to freeze, then transfer to plastic. They keep amazingly well, with a long freezer life IME.

1 Like

Sun dried cherries. Almost too hot to even unwrap and take a picture.

5 Likes

The normal price is about three bucks a pound. I think the price was so good because it was their grand opening.

1 Like

When they first hit the market in Western Wa, they’re about $6.99/lb. After a week or two, you start seeing them on sale for about $3, sometimes less, but not frequently, @Foodhunter. Enjoy!

1 Like

Update: the flat of cherries took me nearly 8 hours!!! Of pitting with just a few stretching breaks. My thumb is still a bit sore😋 but have a nice row of frozen cherries in the freezer.

3 Likes

And just to use some of them fresh I tried this recipe from “Midwest Made”
Delicious little cake squares with a spoonful of ‘cherry pie filling’.

6 Likes

Oh yum on the cherry squares! Good job hanging in for all the cherry pitting. You’ve got some enviable frozen assets now @Elsieb.

2 Likes

Sun dried sweet (Bing?) cherries. Note to self; I bought these said to be grown in California at less than 2 dollars a pound a week or so ago, but didn’t see them today.

3 Likes

I scored four pints of sour cherries at the farmers market on Saturday and pitted them today to make sour cherry streusel pie… Except I was too lazy to make pie crust, so I just did the filling and topping. I added a splash of bourbon and some almond extract to this Epicurious recipe. A tiny bit soupy but the liquid is heavenly.

4 Likes

Can you share the recipe? This looks delicious.

It’s from “Midwest made”. I don’t think we are supposed to copy recipes here that aren’t already published online. They were delicious the first day but were a bit soggy the next day.

On the gotta try list!

I made pickled cherries last year and found lots of uses for them.

1 Like