Chengdu 1 Palace, Green Brook

Please give her my regards.

I will. Thanks!

Great report thanks for sharing. Can anyone in the group compare Jinli to Chengdu. I often make the pilgrimage from the Shore to J & G Texas Wieners in Dunellen and will definitely stop in on my next trip.

1 Like

It was a pleasure seeing you as well, Johnny! We need to make this a monthly event :smile:
I don’t think Eric is a member of Hungry Onion. He looks like an amazing chef though. I wouldn’t mind having a HOdown at his house cough @CurlzNJ cough :wink:

1 Like

I would love to do this regularly. I have never had a Chinese feast like this. Round 2…sign me up :wink:

2 Likes

Well I had the pleasure to dine again with Mrs P and Eli tonight. Again, I’m a huge fan of this place and I wish it was closer to me. We had some nice wine, spicy dishes and some good stories were told. I only snapped a few pics so I will let Eli take the reigns on that. His pics always come out great. More details to come from Eli and I, but I wanted to say thank you for the hospitality, thanks for the Cohiba, and last but not least, happy Anniversary!

I am still full! My couch is cringing lol

2 Likes

We had another epic feast with @corvette_johnny . It was great seeing you again buddy. The 3 of us ate enough food for 6 people :smile: We had plenty of leftovers, plus we ordered another lobster, shrimp, and ants climbing a tree dish to go. That should give us 2 more dinners this week. Johnny loved the chili oil from the spicy baby wontons so much that he brilliantly got them to make a delicious spicy beef dish drowning in that same chili oil. This was spicier than the baby wontons. Other highlights included the hot & spicy lobster, the hot & spicy jumbo prawns, the stir fry lamb, and the Kung Pao chicken.

76C8D069-0CB6-4F17-A3D9-E87ED07ECBA4

8 Likes

OMG!!! and you ordered some more to take home! PSTOF!!! (Proverbial S–t Ton of Food).

3 Likes

We have to make the 45 minute trip worth our while :smile: At least we get a few dinners out of it.

1 Like

WOW:sunglasses:

2 Likes

SO sad to have missed this one, but I’m glad you ordered like a bigger group anyway! :joy:

1 Like

We had a booth for 4 and literally didn’t have room to place the plates! We had a wonderful time and I believe we had most of the same dishes we had on our last trip @CurlzNJ. Your call on the next trip :wink:

Eli asked for some beef in hot oil and the chef came through when he asked Jessica for this dish. This was a great one! The chili, garlic, ginger and tons of spicy oil made this a special meal. Mrs P and Eli both got some containers to take some home and so did I. I had this beef dish as a lunch today along with the lobster. The beef was loaded with tasty oil and I literally consumed the container as a soup. I’m sure this much savory oil isn’t that healthy, but you’re only young once! Lol.

The lobster is just bursting with flavor. I’m a lobster "traditionalist " and rarely ever get anything other than lobster with drawn butter or a stuffed lobster. This place has changed my thoughts. The one thing I noticed is they put some heavy coriander seed in the dish. I didn’t notice this while eating it. I saw it today as I ate lots of chilis. I know Mrs P and Eli are not big cilantro fans but this coriander seed helped out the complex flavor with the extra ginger we asked for. It is funny how a seed and a leaf can offer different flavor profiles. Mrs P makes some salads with the left over Sichuan spices so maybe they can chime in :wink:

I have to say the spicy beef oil was a winner, even though I have only been there twice. Good times!

2 Likes

I’m so glad that you enjoyed it Johnny.That beef with hot oil was definitely a winner, and I think is going to stay in our regular order rotation :smile: Thanks for that brilliant suggestion Johnny! Last night we had lobster, shrimp, and ants climbing a tree leftovers. Tonight we will have the rest of the leftovers including some from Laurel & Sage :yum:

1 Like

Did you get the Ants Climbing in the ‘dry’ version?? That was an eye-opener to me last time and I’ll definitely go that route in the future.

No. I forgot to order it to go in the dry version. It was still delicious though. Most of the sauce gets absorbed when your traveling anyway.

1 Like

We finished off Mrs. P’s birthday weekend at her favorite Szechuan restaurant. We ordered the usual delicious items. Details and pictures are in the link below.

1 Like

Many C1 prawns have been consumed to celebrate birthdays… :grin: Happy you were able to get there!

1 Like

Happy b day Mrs P! Glad to hear you guys got some of that great lobster!

1 Like

Thanks Johnny! We never get tired of that lobster :slightly_smiling_face:

We made our monthly trip to our favorite Szechuan restaurant and ordered the PSTO food. We have enough leftovers for two more dinners. Between this and Drew’s we have enough leftovers to last us until Thanksgiving. Besides the usually awesome hot and spicy lobster, hot and spicy jumbo prawns, tender stir fried lamb, ants climbing a tree, and spicy baby wontons in chili oil, we tried spicy 3 pepper chicken which was excellent. It consisted of very tender juicy spicy pieces of chicken. We had asked Jessica our regular server (who is now a part owner) to ask the chef to make the dishes spicy like the way the old chef used to make it when they were in Cedar Grove. The new chef had been light on the spices. This was much better. It all went great with a 98 point Primitivo.

6 Likes