What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

A most happy birthday to you @ChristinaM! I hope every minute of it was fabulous!

Everything looks delicious BTW, but am intrigued by your dessert - ice box cake or a version of tiramisu?

2 Likes

We had our lunch/dinner at the Greek Festival today. Everything was especially delicious this year. Pastries for later. Beautiful day too.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

5 Likes

Oh. Yeah.

17 Likes

Happy birthday to you @ChristinaM and the missus of @paryzer!

May good health, good food and happiness always be with you~

5 Likes

The Patriots won. Handily. :heart:

I had some manchego, membrillo, and Marcona almonds along with crostini with fig and pear jam and English cheddar as a Scooby Snack during the game.

Dinner was decidedly non-football food. I went with a spinach, shallot, goat cheese and bacon quiche.

And it was very good! Yup, there was wine!

20 Likes

We finished off Mrs. P’s birthday weekend at her favorite Szechuan restaurant, Chengdu 1 Palace. We had the usual awesome hot and spicy lobster, hot and spicy jumbo prawns, spicy stir fried lamb, ants climbing a tree, and baby wontons in chili oil. It all went great with a nice 2017 San Maestoso Primitivo. There were plenty of leftovers.

19 Likes

Wow!!

1 Like

Thank you very much @thwysg!

Soft ladyfingers layered with chocolate mousse, Belgian chocolate pudding, lightly sweetened vanilla whipped cream, and chocolate shavings. Should be even better tomorrow, I hope! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Leftovers - chicken and waffles. Calabrian chile hot sauce.

15 Likes

Talk about eating with your eyes! What a meal.

2 Likes

Multigrain rice with lightly salted saba.

Mixed mushrooms with pork belly miso soup. Pork belly slices were cooked with sesame oil before adding dashi and the mushrooms.

16 Likes

Wow, just wow, all these meals look fantastic

Had a hankering for some oxtails late at night and had a package in the freezer.

Braised them in a bottle of red wine with few cloves of garlic until tender then removed, chilled and pulled meat from bones and reduced the wine down by about 3/4 to yield a concentrated reduction.

Next day caramelized sliced onions until brown, reheated the meat in the wine reduction then built a sandwich on ciabatta using some tomato jam that has been waiting for something to happen. Not the prettiest of pictures but it sure hit the spot.

22 Likes

I like the way you party! Happy birthday!!!

3 Likes

Now that’s a labor of love!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes! It was fun to indulge.
Back to normalcy today. I made a quick dinner of parmesan and panko-crusted sole (from frozen but good), mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, and lemony broccoli. Hit the spot.

19 Likes

That was a feast! Don’t tell me you were eating solo.

Like both of the dishes.

1 Like

More tartines… Red mullet with bacon, tomato, shallot sauce and pea chicken soup with mint.

French classic, calf head with leek, potato and carrot cooked in broth, served with a white vinaigrette, a gribiche sauce.

Another tartine as starter, inspired by Flour bakery and café in Boston’s sandwich menu. Sweet potato, cilantro pine nut pesto, Stilton cheese, grilled pine nuts and green apple.

Followed by pork loin and girolles, chanterelle in English?

A lazy weekend meal, duck tournedos, string beans and grilled zucchini cooked with tomato sauce.

Dined out on Sunday. The most memorable course was the devil fish with a lemon sabayon, pork kidney with gribiche sauce.

Tonight, more fresh figs as starters. Chicken ballotine with lemon confit, caper, garlic and tomato sauce. Leek in vinegar. Sided with roasted sweet potatoes.
(Extra: didn’t even see the weck cover when taking the photo! :joy:)

19 Likes

I was. Had some of the quiche for lunch.

2 Likes