Cheesesteaks

I don’t recognize the reference - is fries in the sandwich a Pittsburgh thing?

In any case, if you’d asked me ten years ago, I could have definitively told you that I drew the line at coleslaw in sandwiches. Then there was this pretty good looking pulled pork with coleslaw on it, and … Times have changed. :slightly_smiling_face: So maybe there’s hope yet, that you may one day smile upon the greasy potato strings. :laughing:

Yep. Primanti’s in Pittsburgh is famous for their sandwiches served with both fries and coleslaw on the sandwiches (not as sides). I spent some time in Pittsburgh some years ago, but they never appealed to me. Give me a cheesesteak with a side of fries.

2 Likes

Actually the “official” Philly cheesesteaks (i.e., Pat’s and Geno’s) are pretty much tourist traps. The best “real” Philly cheesesteaks can be found in the mom & pop spots on neighborhood corners and little strip malls. In high school I worked at one of those spots and you’re right . . .the steaks hit the grill whole and then get chopped. And I’m old school . . . white American cheese or provolone . . . none of that non-cheese CheezWhiz product.

Although the cheesesteak is a Philly institution, the South Jersey and Delaware iterations are pretty solid.

3 Likes

I just recently bought a jar, for on toast - a childhood memory thing. Not good, wasn’t really worth it.

2 Likes

I’ve been to all of the tourist trap places in Philly and had some darn good cheesesteaks. Of the top 3, I prefer Steve’s Prince of Steaks.

There was also this slightly different cheesesteak-ish sandwich that was better than all of them - The Schmitter from McNally’s Tavern.

That said, DiNic’s in the Reading Terminal Market has the best sandwich in the country, much less Philly and it’s not a cheesesteak. Roast pork all the way!

5 Likes

I concur!! With that broccoli rabe…

2 Likes

Go to Primantis, then say that.

2 Likes

Pat’s & Ginos both suck.

1 Like

The Schmitter is also available at Harry the K’s at Citizens Bank Park . . . Many a beautiful afternoon sitting on the terrace watching BP back when the Phils were worth watching.

And your opinion of DiNic’s roast pork (with rabe and sharp provolone) is widely shared in the city. I hope RTM can bounce back after this craziness is over . . . the lack of tourists, conventions and office workers has hit it hard.

2 Likes

What does a schmitter consist of?

1 Like

I believe it’s 5/8 Schmit combined with 3/8 Sh*tter.

2 Likes

It’s steak, cheese, fried onions, tomatoes, salami and a funky dressing–sort of a french dressing with relish–served on a kaiser roll.

2 Likes

I was all in till the salami :wink:

2 Likes

The salami is the key ingredient! Personally, I order it without the dressing.

3 Likes

Potential band name alert :smile:

6 Likes

@seal @CurlzNJ For the life of me I will never understand how the roast pork at DiNic’s became so famous. It’s not even the best sandwich there! For the love of god set that roast pork aside and get yourself an Italian pulled pork. Same sandwich but with tender fatty braise pork shoulder instead of loin. I did a taste test with my friends and exactly 0 people preferred the roast pork.

@ycf04 dang that was the other one I was looking at, your blade is almost an inch longer than mine.

@DavidPF as ycf said there’s a bit of a learning curve but most able bodied adults shouldn’t have a problem with it. Once you get a nice flat cut on the side and get into a groove you can pump out slices pretty fast, I haven’t had a problem getting it to the thinness you see at hot pot places.

@NotJrvedivici Maybe we oughtta have a HO picnic! I’ve been having some hot pot parties and it’s been a big hit.

@bbqboy my understanding is that any high volume cheesesteak shop is going to have an electric probably automatic deli slicer to slice the meat. The deli slicers can slice up barely frozen meat very thin, but with the manual one the meat has to be rock solid. Cheesesteaks will generally be chopped up during cooking, like each meat particle might be the size of a fingernail or so. As for fries, fries on sandwiches is also kind of a Jersey thing. Check out fat sandwiches.

Also, fries make a white castle burger so much tastier!!

4 Likes

You’re obviously a local, while I am only a frequent visitor, so I don’t want to argue. And, full confession, I’ve only had the sandwich once, but that sauce made the whole thing come together for me.

I’m mayo-averse, so there’s that. Anything with mayo or a mayo-based sauce has to be omitted from my order.

I’m a member of the Morris Arboretum, so McNally’s and The Tavern on the Hill (which also has a tasty cheesesteak) are rotation regulars.

1 Like

Nj.com just posted top 25 NJ cheesesteaks. Of course it’s behind paywall, curious if anyone here has seen list and if any places we’ve mentioned are on it or anyplace interesting they point out

A little trick is that if you have an iPhone and quickly load the page, hit the reader button; you can get around the paywall. For all those who don’t have an iPhone, here’s the list below. I’ve been to most on this list, and my love for cheesesteaks knows no bounds, as you can see from my profile picture. Without question, best on this list is Donkey’s.

1. Chick’s Deli, Cherry Hill

2. Donkey’s Place, Camden

3. Pat’s Pizza, Point Pleasant

4. Tony Boloney’s, Atlantic City/Hoboken

5. Steaks Unlimited, Seaside Heights

6. Carmen’s Deli, Bellmawr

7. Wich-One, Cliffside Park

8. Voltaco’s, Ocean City

9. Sugar Hill Sub Shop, Mays Landing

10. The Speakeatery, Asbury Park

11. Rocco’s Steaks, Camden

12. Russo’s Market, North Wildwood