Cheesesteaks

Now that you’re added to the list, please let us know the days and hours you are serving cheesesteaks so we can plan accordingly.

4 Likes

I got one of these too… solely for hotpot so far. Saved me a bunch of money from buying sliced meat from grocery stores.

1 Like

It looks like a simple good idea, essentially just a way of holding both the knife and the meat perfectly straight. Does it give you a way of controlling the thickness you’re cutting, or does that depend on a bit of skill?

Yes, you can adjust the thickness.
From my experience, it is not that simple to use but it is not overly difficult; does take some practice and skills. For me, i just need my meat slices to be about 1/16 of an inch or so thick and it works out for me. If you want really thin slice like paper thin, it might be a little trickier.

Amen, which one did you get and how do you like it? I bought the cheapo one because they all looked the same and it had good reviews, turns out the more expensive ones have longer blades. Like with mine it’s kind of hard or impossible to cut a decent size ribeye roast without cutting it down first.

(Just goes to show, if you mostly use the rocking technique to cut things, you need a long knife - that fact gets kind of emphasized when the tip end of the knife is actually bolted to the board.) :slight_smile:

Interesting, very interesting. I have a paper cutter here in the office if only I had some rib eye here I would give it a try. As @ycf04 pointed out, it’s not for paper thin which for cheesesteaks are fine, trying to shave some prosciutto, probably not. Best of luck with it joon, I either expect to be invited over as @BossaNova +1 or I’ll settle for just some pics of the final product(s).

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BPVKK5H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my wife picked it, i didn’t do any research.
It’s was about $55 when i bought it. Yeah, the blade’s probably not long enough for big chunk of meat.

Are these generally how cheese steak places prep the goodies, and do they all freeze the meat?

1 Like

As I understand it, most places do freeze their meat to make slicing easier.

1 Like

Correct, however there is no way you are manually cutting through an entire frozen rib eye. I use to freeze prosciutto in order to thin slice it without shredding it. Regardless any frozen meat would require a commercial slicer, my home “electric slicer” wouldn’t make it through a frozen prosciutto let alone a frozen rib eye.

2 Likes

@NotJrvedivici, I think/have heard, that partial freezing for meat is the trick here. Likewise, cheese is easier to grate if well chilled - I frequently put it in the freezer for 15 minutes, especially if grating a lot, for lasagnes, for instance. But you want to retrieve it before actual freezing sets in.

Oh, if you’re dealing with filleting a bunch of salmon, partial freezing works great, and is safer, in that the fish won’t fly out of your hands while filleting, or slicing into steaks. IF that fish is destined for the freezer anyway…if I bought a nice chunk of fresh King salmon, I’d still put a freezer chill on it for just a bit.

Yes, I’ve had to take H to the ER for stitches after receiving a big wet pack from Alaska. Ouch! :scream_cat:

2 Likes

I never had a real cheesesteak in the true Philadelphia style.
Out this way they chop up the steak. In bits. Or hunks.
:slight_smile:

While I have never had an “official” Philly Cheesesteaks from the few famous places in Philly I do believe they chop the steaks as well. They hit the grill “whole” slices then during the cooking process get chopped and mixed with the peppers/ onions and topped with cheese.

1 Like

In my case, being 3000 miles away, NJ qualifies as Philadelphia.

1 Like

Definitely not the cheesesteak guru, but I’ve eaten my share. Some places leave the slices whole, but I’d say a larger percentage chop the meat on the grill.

To me, since you at least have a clue about this, you personally qualify as Philadelphia.

By extension, your neighbour 2 doors away has suddenly become Pittsburgh; do you want to be the one to tell them, or do I have to do it? :smile:

I’ve never been there but according to the late Anthony Bourdain, the best cheesesteak is found at Donkey’s Place, Camden, NJ. It is located just across the river from Philadelphia. Anthony was a NJ guy.

4 Likes

Thanks.

I draw the line at fries on sandwiches.
A bridge too far.