Cheeseburgers.....the official NJ burger thread

Yeah I don’t know when exactly my upper or more likely lower GI system decided to go all pansy-ass on me but White Castles are one thing I know I will pay the price for the next / later in the day. I don’t get it, I use to be able to polish off a dozen or two on the right (or wrong) drunken night and have NO issues. Now if for shits and giggles I decide to have a couple on a whim, then it’s shits-n-tears later. :sleepy:

Double quarter pounders are good but I am more of a big mac guy. Maybe once or twice a year I will get one…or two. I downloaded the mcd app and it had buy one get one free so I tanked two a few months ago…still good burgers.

I remember like a decade ago they had two for 2 dollar double quater pounders…maybe longer than that. Yeah this was probably like 15 years ago. My man dusty proceeds to polish of 5 of them before I finish my first and I don’t eat that slowly. He beat me to the table by a minute or two but still lol. Good times! That dude is a maniac…about 6 3 and 140lbs soaking wet. He can hang with the baddest eaters around. Hmmm…I wonder if I can get him to the mixed grill challenge

1 Like

Foodtown 80% seared both sides on grill, finished in warm oven with Adams Reserve NY cheddar and Cabot seriously sharp Vermont melted to cover the entire burger. Seriously juicy with a warm red center.

Served with crispy Tater tits and sliced fresh Rutgers from the garden.

Figured I would do my grilling tonight as Sunday and Monday are looking soggy.

1 Like

Nice viking

Is anyone into smoking burgers? I do 75/25 burgers over hickory with yellow American and toasted hard rolls. These are hefty burgers and around a pound a piece…delicious!

Not really “smoking,” but I’ll let a big burger get some indirect cooking in off coals. I pretty much always use only an oak wood and briquette fuel (50/50). I love the oak smoke on beef.

I will grill burgers directly over hard wood, or throw a few chips on charcoal, to get the wood flavor and then finish them in a warming oven to get a juicy red center.

But I don’t “smoke” burgers in the sense of doing them like BBQ, that is low and slow at 225 for like 45 minutes, I just don’t like my burgers done that well. I have seen it though.

I do often smoke fresh bratwurst, kielbasa, chorizo, or Italian sausage low and slow. It is delishus.

PS. As regards the warning oven this is a restaurant trick you can do at home to get a perfectly cooked steak or burger that is red and juicy all the way through.

You use high heat to sear both sides and then rest it for a minute or two to let the temperature even out. Once it’s seared you can season. Then, depending on how thick the cut is, 5-8 minutes in the warming oven, or a little more if it’s really thick. Let it rest for 10 minutes and serve.

It’s a great technique if you like rare steak or burgers like me, from the classic French repertoire, using usually a carbon steel pan to do the sear.

Btw in a restaurant I always order steak “red with a warm center”. How well they do this often determines whether I go back or not.

Exactly. However, that works great with a thick steak, before it gets finished over the flames for a crisping sear that takes it to the 120-25 mark on the mercury.

Yep, that’s a reverse sear, which is more of a nouvelle technique.

I do also smoke a whole prime rib. I stud it with garlic and sage and then rub with cracked black pepper and sea salt, and smoke it for about 40 minutes per lb. I serve it with roasted garlic mash and a Caesar salad. It’s awesome.

Viking Im not sure what kind of smoker you use but on my vertical water smoker the drippings in the water pan make AMAZING gravy. As you know, you really have to watch your evaporation and check it like every 20 to 30 minutes. Too much water and you have to really reduce it once in the kitchen, yet not enough will toast it. If there is anything better than good smoked gravy please fill me in :slight_smile:

Over the years, I’ve moved towards a slightly higher temperature for cooking a prime rib - trying to keep the heat at about 275-300, as opposed to 225-235. I like how the fat renders a little more with this roasting/smoking hybrid.

Many seasons ago, I posted various experiments with different cuts on a low slow offset inspired by old Dean Fourunder’s trials. Cheap chunks like chuck roasts are pretty tasty treats prepared that way.

Bought some chopped roasted Hatch chilies at Whole Foods yesterday and made chili cheeseburgers for lunch today. Sorry, no pics, my lens melted in the heat.

1 Like

Yep, chuck is called shoulder clod in Texas. It’s traditional at the old German places like Kreuz in Lockhart (my little bro lives in San Antonio). I have to say that my standard order down there is Clod and Sausage.

I know, it sounds like a old vaudeville routine.

Here’s a clod shot from Kreuz;

3 Likes

Alright…here ya go…I’m at continuing education classes up in Parsippany all day, there was a Fudruckers near by so this is lunch.

Supposedly “American Kobe” beef, American cheese and bacon. Not bad, not great either just a decent burger and fixin’s.

1 Like

Looks like you need a couple more pieces of bacon on that burger

Yeah a little skimpy for sure, very thinly cut as well.

Has anyone tried sonny’s for burgers yet? I believe I’m reading this correctly. They have a lobster mac n cheese stuffed burger? I love both burgers and lobster mac n cheese, but it seems like an odd pairing. http://www.sonnyssandwiches.com/menu

I used to live at the Fuddruckers in New Brunswick when I got out of college. Would eat so many fixings from the free fixings bar to make a meal in itself. This is also back around the time that free refills entered the picture. Wife and I would always share one soda to save a couple of bucks.