Cheeseburgers.....the official NJ burger thread

I’d swear there was some aging going on with that burger at oyster point.

I might have to get over there one day.

I wish we had steak and shake here. That is a damn good fast food spot.

I had this bad boy from White Rose System in Highland Park last night. Double Bacon Cheeseburger, Chez Fries, and two diet pepsis (because… saving calories??)

That bacon is awesome, they deep fry it. And all those onions… OMG

Yes !!! I recognize that counter !!! Looks awesome !!!

1 Like

Wow that looks delicious! How do those fries compare to windmill cheese fries?

Did somebody whiz on those fries?

1 Like

Home grilled with the Bleu de Auvergne:

As per previous post, I really like the melting profile on this blue, it’s a little softer and creamier.

2 Likes

I actually haven’t had Windmill Cheese fries any time in the recent past for a good reveiw. The fries from White Rose are good though. Fried Crispy, so it gives you a window of time before the “chez” starts to soak in.

So at Frankie’s today for lunch, had Cheddar Cheese burger and fries.

Gotta say Frankie’s is one of the few places that knows how to perfectly cook a rare burger. A real delight.

Also have to say that lunchtime at Frankie’s is like the PPB Republican retiree center. Have to go back to the 60s to see that many people hittin it at lunch.

1 Like

Have to agree with the assessment of the lunchtime clientele. I have overheard some … badly informed … opinions expressed in language from the 50’s. But the burger is, to me, well worth the brush with … the past.

When a a Russian was a Commie and men used the mens’ room and ladies used the ladies room! I might have to go have lunch there one afternoon!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“VikingKaj, post:44, topic:6013”] I recognize that counter !
[/quote]

That was my immediate thought as well.

3am ?

Inspired by this thread I saw “Hamburger the Motion Picture” last night at Alamo Draught House, screened on VHS no less. Like that old Willie Nelson song …“You were always on my mind”
There was no such thing as political correctness in the 70’s you guys would have loved it!!!

1 Like

You know this country has gone to the dogs when we are getting beat up by the Chinese, who are actually still communist. I’m not exactly sure our version of Capitalism is winning.

Not going to the ladies room anytime soon, I can tell you that. :fearful:

You do need to go. I swear Bebe Rebozo was in there for lunch today.

Frankly, VK, I’m not sure I understand your question. Truth is, though, I’ve probably been to White Rose on a few “after too many beers” occasions. They would’ve been back in an earlier lifetime however, when I paid little attention to time.

There are some funny things about that joint and the legends surrounding it. A personal fav was the old joke that if you need a Highland Park cop in a hurry, you call there first.

1 Like

Reference was to the fact that they are open 24 hrs a day, so if you need a little grease to hold things together after Old Queens closes WR are an option. Especially since they closed down the food trucks a few years ago.

1 Like

A little late to the party but I wanted to chime in on the slider debate. I have eaten at White Castle, White Manna (Hackensack) and White Rose (Highland Park).

Let’s start by acknowledging that nothing (other than Krystal) is a White Castle substitute. When it comes to stinky steamy onion slider goodness, White Castle is tops. This is a love it or hate it affair. I am firmly in the love camp. If you don’t love White Castle, you can get the hell out of my life.

I feel White Manna is the worst of the three. Yes, they cook their meat over onions, and it has that familiar slider form factor. The ambiance is dive perfection. However, their slider is the most burger-y of the choices here. It frankly just kind of tastes like a mediocre burger. This is the only place of the three that uses fresh onions in their burgers and there’s almost no stinky onion steam flavor to speak of. It’s more of a burger with grilled onions than a slider.

Finally, White Rose. Their burger packs the good old onion steam, but there are a couple of problems with the burger here. It’s a little bland, and the meat to bun ratio is way off. However, all of these problems can be rectified by going double patty and adding bacon. In this final form (I prefer to go cali here), their burger is pretty awesome in my book. But I’ve brought many people here who just didn’t ‘get’ it. If you want to be amazed, go here and order a side of bacon, regardless of what you get.

1 Like

Haha I love it. Never thought about getting a side of bacon with my double bacon cheese, but why not??

I tend to feel that the “Cali” starts to overpower the delicate onion flavor which I like so much