Cheeseburgers.....the official NJ burger thread

I tried it with the b1g1 coupon. It’s a decent effort but it is SO SWEET. It’s got a BBQ sauce onion/bacon jam thing and was just cloying. If it had some hot peppers, pickles, onions or something it might be tolerable, but as it it was just way too sweet to enjoy.

McDonalds provides an experience on par with Subway these days. Last year I saw a kid working the fry station shoving fries into his mouth while scooping them into the containers. That would have gotten somebody fired on the spot 35 years ago. Like being in Radio Shack, you sense you’re in a place whose heyday was long ago. I just watch old their old commercials on youtube and reminisce.

1 Like

I will have to give it a shot soon.

Have you done the poor man’s big mac? With the mcdouble on sale for 1 dollar until the end of the year, you can do the poor man’s big Mac any day of the week. I haven’t tried this but it looks interesting.

Yeah, I’ve done this in the past, when the McDouble was a dollar. The problem is that almost all the McDonald’s locations around here will charge you something like 50c for mac sauce, and when you add lettuce it throws the whole price equation out of whack. I’m pretty sure they do this precisely because they don’t want you to turn your McDouble into a big mac. So back when the McDouble was a dollar, it would cost almost another dollar to turn it into a big mac. So it was like you could have two McDoubles or 1 modified one. Personally I like the McDouble just the way it is, so it wasn’t worth it for me.

1 Like

So I was screwing around on my phone. They won’t even let you add the special sauce to a mcdouble. They will allow mayo though so I think they are onto the poor man’s bigmac.

Often I walk around the Ironbound in Newark with Brazilian buffets and Portuguese pastries in mind, but today was only for Krug’s.

5 Likes

As good as advertised?

I’ve been wanting to try that burger. She’s a beeaut!

1 Like

Spectacular. Great bun, great beef (although unseasoned, which is a plus because it tastes good, but next time I’ll get it with bacon).

4 Likes

I’m in Monmouth county. Has anyone tried these burgers in union beach?

Well I haven’t had a burger in a while so I’m bumping this up.

Pour house cheddar burger tonight.

The burger should have been flattened out more but the generous cheddar helping kind of made up for that. Look at that cheese! I think it is time for a lipitor shake :smile:

5 Likes

Still my fav burger in the area these days

2 Likes

2 LIT helped me out too :wink:

I like the whole pickle too (it was under the bun)

Not huge but great crunch and better than a 16th of a pickle like some places give you.

3 Likes

How are their LITs? Anywhere near Barnacle Bill’s?

Barnacles makes a better LIT, hands down. The pour house lit was OK, but as you can see in the back ground, it is served in a mug and not as strong as barnacles. As for burgers, I really enjoyed my buger tonight but it was kind of a “hockey puck” burger. It was cooked medium rare, and it was juicy, but it didn’t nearly fill the bun as pictured. I’m being really critical but if I had to sum it up, barnacles has the better vibe/ambiance and drinks. For the burgers, it is kind of splitting hairs. Depending on who cooks it, one could be better than the other. To note, I think the PH LIT is 8 bucks and I think barnacles is 10 served in a pint glass…don’t quote me on that though.

If I could do a blind taste test that would be great, but that obviously won’t happen. I’m pretty sure barnacles uses a fattier grind and I could tell right away which one was which, as well as the sauce texture and taste. Who knows though. All I know is they both make some good cheeseburgers :smile:

3 Likes

Posted this on the BB discussion but will add here as well…cheddar+bacon+ 2 mai tais make for an excellent Sunday afternoon

4 Likes

Fair enough. I really want to try Pour House. Been putting it off for too long.

And yes you are correct. BB’s LITs are $10.25.

1 Like

I think you will enjoy their burgers. I am all about the cheddar sauce, so that is my comparison between the two when it comes to burgers. I’d like to hear your thoughts.

1 Like

also -if you go greg, sit at the bar to order burger. I usually get take out since my little ones can’t handle the wait times there normally (still awesome to go btw). but JR , whom I trust on this, says that the ones ordered at the bar vs the kitchen are superior.

3 Likes

Interesting. I wonder why? I shall investigate, but that would require a burger from each. :smiley: