Cheeseburgers.....the official NJ burger thread

I’ll see your two fried eggs over cheeseburgers and raise you two fried eggs over prime aged porterhouse and ribey with shallots and peppers from my dinner at Empire Steakhouse Sat night!

I think Pour House has replaced Barnacle Bill’s as best local burger for me…

Hey, this is the cheese borger thread!

That’s an illegal hand…

I protest!

There has been some slippage at BB’s since that person hit the peanut shells…

Ahoy mateys!

bottle of banana boat “spf irish” sun screen= 9 bucks
6er of Sierra pale = 12.99
Some ice= 3.50
Various fruity drinks= who the hell knows
Chowing down a wagyu cheeseburger in paradise=priceless!

2 Likes

Enjoy! I will continue to fish for tog in the relative cold.

Welcome back.

So you were in a developing country without wifi and couldn’t text?

Shark ate your tablet/cell phone???

People might have wondered what happened to you…

Eeuuww! (@NotJrvedivici).

Unless of course these were Hemingway daquiris, aka the Papa Doble, as served at the Floridita, in which case…

AWESOME !!!

Recipe follows:

Hemingway Daiquirí, Papa Doble, Wild Daiquirí, Daiquirí Special

The following recipe is based upon the Daiquirí recipe from El Floridita that Hemingway drinks with A. E. Hotchner in his book Papa Hemingway.

1 serving

2 1/1 jiggers Bacardi or Havana Club rum
(1 jigger = 1 1/2 ounces)
Juice of 2 limes
Juice of 1/2 grapefruit
6 drops of maraschino (cherry brandy)

Fill a blender one-quarter full of ice, preferably shaved or cracked. Add the rum, lime juice, grapefruit juice and maraschino.
Blend on high until the mixture turns cloudy and light-colored. ( See Islands in the Stream, page 281 for a more Hemingway-esque description.)

Nice man…how’s the chew out there?

No I had some WiFi around, but I wanted to disconnect from this world for a little. It felt good to let go.

As for pH vs bb…

Sauce goes to bb (I only get cheddar burgers at both )

Roll: kind of a tie.

Meat quality goes to ph…better beef and grind

Ambience: bb hands down. I think about the badass oldschool sailors everytime I’m in here while I look at the decor. It has a nice river view too if you have the seating.

Service: maybe a tad bit ph as bb gets overwhelmed.

Parking: both have nice lots and I am a stickler on this.

Bar seating: ph has much better seating and easier seats to get.

Winner = your choice…both are great spots and I enjoy them for what they bring to the table.

Pretty solid most days. I kind of forgot how addicting catching these big lipped bastages can be.

Yeah they are my favorite fish inshore by far. Imagine if those things grew to the size of jewfish?

My buddy just got this 27"

Nice, some big ones being taken…and released, this year. Venturing offtopic, but I plan on making a burger out of my next one

Nice pics. Yeah they “mold” up nicely. I can’t say I’ve had a tog burger but we make fish cakes just like you would make a crab cake. I’m sure on a roll you could make a good sandwich. Make sure you post some tog burger pics :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK folks I found a winner at an unexpected spot…Chiafullos in navesink part of middletown.

This 12oz beast is freshly ground and I got it topped with gorgonzola and a really nice heap of bacon. For 11.95 this isnt the cheapest burger, but with a giant side of steak fries, a great roll, and perfect temperature, I’m definitely putting this in my rotation. Everything came piping hot which was awesome. I think Bobby even cooked it which is cool. He said they grind every other day, along with their sausage. Anyway, I think an American cheese bacon burger is up next. They get the bun/burger ratio correct. The burger fills out the bun and that is a pet peeve of mine.

This pic isn’t great but I can assure you this baby was oozing with beef juice, bacon goodness and melty gorgonzola!

5 Likes

So I went to the chubby pickle on Wednesday. It’s 5 dollar burger night and it is also trivia night. For 5 bucks this is a decent burger. You get your choice of cheese and I got blue cheese. It’s not a world class burger but for 5 bucks I can’t complain. You don’t get any fries or chips at the 5 price point but they serve it with tomato, lettuce and a sampling of coleslaw. The trivia is fun. If you win a round you get to spin the wheel and have a chance to win something.

This might be a fun and cheap hodown. 5 bucks for a cheese burger isn’t too bad. @NotJrvedivici @CurlzNJ @joonjoon @seal I’m as dumb as I look so I need a smart partner :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can’t beat that deal, I would be down for that but we definitely need more help for the trivia!

1 Like

The trivia is really fun. It’s a a total mixed bag so you get questions about geography, politics, music, history, sports, etc. For 5 bucks I like this burger. Maybe we can get a trivia night going. I’m a random cesspool of useless knowledge so with an intelligent person I might make a good teammate lol :smile:

1 Like

I’m trivial.

3 Likes

Not NJ … but I thought you guys would like this

2 Likes

I haven’t had them but they have buy one get one cheeseburger night on tuesday.

https://www.theredzonebarandgrill.com/menu

Good to see they have pork roll on hand too! That red zone burger looks interesting.