Ceviche, crudo, sashimi, tartare, tiradito, and aguachile

Yeah, I’ve had that. I was not a fan of the texture (too mushy for me).

I also generally prefer chūtoro over otoro.

1 Like

So when you have the thinnest part of the belly, there isn’t much other choice, and it’s still expensive, which means you’re not going to get rid of it because you can’t cut it neatly, so maybe that treatment is an easy repurpose.

But the thicker parts (or belly from larger fish) give you a bit more room to maneuver.

@shrinkrap when I ordered from the fisherman guy, it all came skin-on / bloodlines-in, which also made maneuvering a bit easier because you had the skin to work against (acc to your article leaving the bloodlines in seems to help the fish keep better too, I didn’t know that back then).

3 Likes

I would have to imagine it is the easiest way to repurpose it :slight_smile: I like the idea of how Morimoto presents his version, as a tartare with different add ins (caviar, wasabi, rice cracker, etc.) so the diner can add flavors and textures in these cases.

2 Likes

That’s definitely a great way to break up the texture. I appreciate different textures in one bite (which is why pureed soups, mashed potatoes, and other soft foods are unappealing to me in larger amounts). I’m all for adding some crunch/bite/another sensation. Even scallion can do the trick, or sesame seeds.

1 Like

Thanks, @shrinkrap, for putting me in the mood for sushi / sashimi. Putting in a sizable order from the local purveyor :smiling_face:

My pleasure! To make at home or at a restaurant?

Also;

Nah, I don’t have the patience nor access to that sort of quality fish - certainly not the same variety the local sushi joint has, and their menu is particularly extensive today :-), as they get their deliveries on Thursdays.

The fluke is back, as is madai & hamachi. About to head out thru the deep-freeze to pick it up :cold_face:

1 Like

Can you say more about madai? The place I’ve been ordering from has it frozen

I found this.

Also, I’d love a link to a “good” sushi place; I only have very basic tuna and salmon, and a bunch of fried and/or decorative rolls in my town.

So now it’s been about 48 hours since the fish were cut, I haven’t eaten it every minute as I had anticipated, and I have them in these vacuum containers.

And found this article about vacuum sealing fish
Vacuum-packed meat stored in a refrigerator:

Which says
Beef: 8 days
Poultry: 7 days
Pork: 6 days
Smoked meat: 6-12 weeks
Ham: 3 weeks
Fresh sausages: 2 weeks
Fresh fish: 7 days

Any thoughts?

When are you planning to eat it?

I would freeze it in the meantime (in a bag, don’t really need a container imo). Less degradation with most things in the freezer, and it defrosts fast enough when you want some sashimi or crudo again.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I hope to finish most of it by Monday, but I think I will freeze some today.

Once it’s vacuum sealed, there’s really little benefit to it staying in the fridge, imo the freezer just buys timing flexibility. (Things labeled “sushi grade” have likely already been frozen based on FDA guidelines.)

2 Likes

That’s what I think too, but this place says they cut it and deliver it “fresh”, and it really seemed like it! That would be silly if they froze it, then thawed it for shipping. It wouldn’t even have time to thaw. I was so surprised, I emailed them to clarify, but they haven’t responded. They also have products they label frozen.
:woman_shrugging:t5:

Sea bream. Pretty light. I usually swap it out for something, though, I find it a bit… fibrous? Wrong word, but not smooth is what I mean.

Also sea bream - I think Madai is the baby / younger version

Striped jack. Iirc this is oilier, still looks white but heavier than something like hamachi.

ETA @shrinkrap If you want to geek out on this a bit (“if” lol) here are a few references:

https://www.sushi-pedia.com/en/sushi/tai/

https://www.thesushigeek.com/the-sushi-geek/2016/01/22/tai-鯛-japanese-sea-bream

1 Like

Well then it hasn’t been frozen (but if you do your worst case is killing some parasites :joy:)

1 Like

There goes my latest weight loss plan! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Been there, don’t recommend it :frowning_face:

1 Like

From what I saw, madai can be sea bream or Japanese red snapper. The texture was buttery and rich, and it had a more pronounced flavor than the fluke, which was very mild yesterday. It’s on the top left (above the fluke & next to the saba) in this picture.

Ooooo! :eyes:
Thank you!
#1is madai?
#5 is fluke?
#3 is saba? Is that mackerel?
#9 is salmon?
#4 hamachi?
#8 some kind of tuna? I’m still learning about tuna. This one looks dark.

@shrinkrap If you want to geek out on this a bit (“if” lol)

Yes, please!

Thanks!