CAJUN AND CREOLE - Fall 2023 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

The stock.

looked it up.

This recipe

…and others say a week. I don’t remember using a specifc recipe.

1 Like

Should be fine if handled well (kept refrigerated)

2 Likes

Laissez le bon temps rouler!

7 Likes

In September I made Jambalaya and posted here on COTM … Here’s what I said then:

I really love Nagi’s blog and book … I know I’ll be cooking her recipes for a long while. Finally got around to making JAMBALAYA: https://www.recipetineats.com/jambalaya-recipe/ I took a few liberties … increased recipe by 50% for most items, washed the rice in cold water 5 times … been doing that for years, ever since I read about it in China Moon cookbook.

I used Aidell’s Cajun Andouille, chicken breast instead of thighs (I don’t like dark meat) and wild prawns (I wait for them to go on sale at WF. Takes a while to clean a pound of prawns!) I eliminated the bacon here since I think it’s such a dominating flavor. I think if you don’t want to put pork you can put some smoked paprika instead.

My daughter eats almost everything but won’t touch bell peppers so I subbed poblano, anaheim and jalapeno. (Nagi just says to cut celery, peppers, etc. into pieces but doesn’t indicate any size.

I made the mistake of shopping late morning, starting the recipe after 3 pm. There’s a lot of chopping (onion + I added shallots and leeks) and a lot of dishes to wash … have to take breaks cause of bad knees. So, was not finished until 10:30 pm! Good thing it tastes great reheated or even cold! Instead of canned tomatoes I added roasted cherry tomatoes and about 1/2 cup Vermouth after adding the rice.

Seasoning mix: I discovered my tin of Hungarian sweet paprika had little black bugs running around inside so subbed a mild Kashmiri chili powder (I’ll but some paprika from Rainbow Co-Op soon!)

Mine was done after 22 minutes in the oven; pretty similar to paella.

10 Likes

My first cookbooks were mostly Southern cookbooks. I visited Louisiana in 1998, and brought home 3 cookbooks, including the Lafayette Junior League Talk About Good 2, and a cookbook focussed on restaurant recipes.

I like Maque Choux once in a while. I usually wing it. Here is a recipe.https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/maque-choux

I sort of overdid jambalaya in my 30s and 40s to the point where I don’t make it anymore :joy:

I do like making shrimp étouffée and gumbo.

I hosted a Mardi Gras Potluck Dinner in 2012, with some Toronto Chowhound friends. I killed the yeast in my fail of a King Cake. Here are some photos of the dinner. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/albums/72157629525935890

5 Likes

Cookbook of the Month nominations for November are now open. Please join us!

2 Likes

Talk About Good (the original) is one of my favorite cookbooks.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen #2.

download

2 Likes

Mine looks like yours. Maybe I have number 1.

2 Likes

I’m making red beans without rice and without meat, otherwise using the ingredients in the recipe above.

3 Likes

I have Talk About Good I also!

3 Likes

I don’t watch many cooking shows on TV, but I’m enjoying this PBS series on New Orleans’ classic restaurant Dooky Chase. Leah Chase’s descendents cook dishes from the restaurant, with some modern updates. It’s been running on my local PBS station (KQED in the Bay Area), and I think it’s available here for free streaming.

https://www.pbs.org/show/dooky-chase-kitchen-leahs-legacy/

6 Likes

I’ve been catching it on PBS Create and have enjoyed the family contributions.

I had this saved…

1 Like

Shrimp gumbo. I used this as a jumping off place, added Tony Cachere’s and thyme, and did not boil everything to a fare-thee-well. Vegetables got 20:00, shrimp got two. I got a little nervous waiting for the roux to turn medium brown, but it did not burn and smelled correct. But roux + okra = very gluey gumbo. I haven’t eaten gumbo that many times (people are always throwing sausage and chicken into it), but I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be not this gluey. Suggestions welcome.

gumbo

7 Likes

Maybe not, but a lot might depend on how you handle the okra, which I don’t use. Yours looks good though!

I don’t see the color of the roux at all! I’ve read the lighter it is, the more thickening power.

I always chicken out before it’s dark enough.

I was proud enough of this last batch to freeze some!

6 Likes

I really tried to stick with it! What I ended up with was not as dark as yours, but it was what I thought the recipe called for - medium brown. I bet there’s a color chart somewhere.

1 Like

From Serious Eats
There are actually a couple of other Stages including “Black” just before Burnt.

3 Likes

That does look like a lot of “Texture”.
Looks like the recipe is “frying” the Okra first to try to de-slime it? If so i think that it was done a too low a Temp may be.
When working with fresh Okra it is very important to dry each Pod very well. Contact with Water really brings out the slime.

2 Likes

My roux was lighter than “dark” but darker than "peanut butter.

I skipped that step and just added the okra along with the other vegetables, which may have been the wrong thing to do. And I will do more diligent drying next time - thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

Ding, ding, ding!
That explains it.
Happy to help.

3 Likes