Butter on Sandwiches

I really dislike mayo except in certain situations (obligatory on a BLT but that’s about it for me), and lately I have rediscovered the use of putting butter on sandwiches instead. You know, like a normal turkey and cheese sandwich or sub. A light slathering of butter. I happened to remember an old friend of the family who was from Ireland doing this many many years ago when we would visit her house when I was a child and she served lunch. There was always a spread of cold cuts and breads. But there was never mayo out, only butter. So I thought, why not? I actually love it. Anyone else?

3 Likes

Here in the UK butter is used in the vast majority of sandwiches. Probably 95% of homemade, and maybe 75+% of bought. Always has been. Most domestic fridges here would only contain mayo if it had been bought for a specific reason, not as an everyday requirement like butter. It would likely be well out of date!

Maybe this is because we have less hot weather than the US, and salads are consequently a little lower down our priority list?

3 Likes

My faavorite sandwich is thick slices of Camembert on a very fresh baguette lavishly slathered with butter.

7 Likes

I don’t like and don’t eat mayo and don’t know anyone who does, either. One puts mayo on chips* (fries to you). Also, apparently there’s a difference between European and US mayo. Belgian is a bit sour.

Most people round my parts butter their bread but I prefer Schmalz (rendered Speck fat).

I had to make sure no mayo would touch my food in Chile. Copious amounts are already in your food but half a jar is on the side in case you need more. Chileans eat so much of it.

*I eat my chips with a pinch of salt or plain.

2 Likes

We always had bread and butter sandwiches cut into 4 rectangles with our fried chicken.
Sunday dinners of my youth.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t normally use butter in sandwiches but it is a component in a Japanese egg salad sandwich

The butter supposedly keeps the bread from becoming soggy.

Sounds delicious!

3 Likes

This may explain something I’ve always wondered about. My father took me on a special trip to Williamsburg, VA for my 8th birthday. Williamsburg is a historic recreation of a colonial town. We stayed for a few days and had a great time. The highlight for me was hearing the 1812 overture outside with real cannons. We had lunch at, I think, the Williamsburg Lodge, and I got a roast beef sandwich. I still remember that I took my first bite, and it had butter on it. I had never heard of having butter on a sandwich, and it was so good! I still remember that, many years later. Maybe it was the English influence on the menu there. Thanks for posting about this.

3 Likes

Growing up in Texas in the 60s the Tex-Mex places had butter with the obligatory free tortilla chips and salsa. It sure tastes good on a chip with a little salt. You don’t see that anymore.

3 Likes

Count me in. Buttered bread for turkey/avocado, ham & Swiss, roast beef, chicken salad, peanut butter and jelly. I even find it adds a certain je ne sais quoi to a good quality beef baloney sandwich.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

As a major beef bologna and dill pickle sandwich (on white bread) fan, I will definitely have to try that. Thanks!

1 Like

When I was a child in the 50’s and early 60’s I stayed with my grandmother in the summertime. She grew leaf lettuce in her garden and baked bread. I still remember the delicious sandwiches we would have slathered in butter with tight piles of that green-tasting tender fresh leaf lettuce on her homemade bread.

In later years, I learned of butter as a condiment when we spent time in France. Jambon Beurre was a revelation. In France, butter is like cheese, and cheese is like butter. I only eat ham sandwiches now with butter. And I slather butter on banana bread.

7 Likes
4 Likes

This fascinates me, but I don’t think I get what you mean.

Just makes me dream of radish sandwiches on white bread with butter and salt.

3 Likes

always loved a roast been sandwich with butter. also love ham and gruyere on a buttered baguette.

My mother was certainly part of “sandwiches have butter, that’s just how it’s done”, which I have nothing against as a general policy, but I can say that to me it’s better on some types than on others, and it depends how much.

1 Like

Any significant amount of butter on a tuna salad sandwich I definitely don’t like, and I’d rather the butter was left off.

1 Like

Wait. Stop. You put MORE salt on a CHIP?

1 Like

Yes. The chips down in Texas are freshly fried tortillas and not very salty at all and are free as is salsa. Maybe the restaurants don’t salt them because they go through huge amounts with a lot thrown away.

1 Like

The first thing my husband does when warm tortilla chips hit the table in a Mexican restaurant is sprinkle with salt. Tortilla chips are so much better with butter. I remember when some places started putting that liquid yellow stuff in squeeze bottles on the table instead.

2 Likes