Broccoli

Not swimming but alongside a bowl of cheese sauce. Kids devour it. D-i-l asked for my recipe. I told her not to ask. (channeling Mary Poppins, “Just a teaspoon of Velveeta makes the broccoli go down, the broccoli go down, lots of broccoli go down…”)

3 Likes

Ha ha ha! I think the processed cheese products may be okay to the young, unsophisticated palates as a side condiment, but not for me. Not to say I’m a food snob, but my tastes run more in the refined course. Someone once presented ‘authentic Southern Grits’ at a gathering. They didn’t say ‘cheese grits’. The dish contained a whole jar of Chez whez. I smelled a rat from the get-go.

1 Like

My mom used to make the same Cheez Whiz sauce and I’m pretty sure she did it to get me to eat my veggies. I have since graduated to cheddar.

1 Like

I really don’t like ‘normal’ broccoli but DO like Chinese broccoli (Gai Lan)… the other day I bought a large bag at the assist market, sautéed some, then blanched and grow the rest. First time trying that. 99 Ranch Market sells it only in pre-bagged large and very large quantity so I hope this works.

Since we’ve had a Botthreadsurrection Episode here, I’ll add my two cents.

I start the steaming process for a minute or two, enough to get the florets fairly moist/steamed on the surface, then sprinkle in kosher salt and continue steaming to tender but still some bite.

Then I put it on the table with melted butter in a small bowl with spoon. Those who [edit] insist on butter - me! - put some on and those who don’t just eat as is.

Alternatively, if boiling, start with very salty boiling water.

In either case, the salt seems to act as a surfactant allowing the florets to take on considerable water (which I like) well ahead of the “mushy” point (which I don’t like).

[mo edit] - but going back to Sasha’s OP, my real favorite broccoli is stir fried.

3 Likes

I love how someone sees a thread, responds, doesn’t realize it is 4 yrs old :slight_smile: But some things never change, including my younger one’s smaller tolerance for Asian food than the rest of us. A couple of nights ago, I did this dish and we all quite liked it, despite my husband giving me the evil eye when I said it would be a long cook broccoli, and that was the point of it.

3 Likes

One of my favorites

6 Likes

That’s why I think it’s a bot acct that resurrected the thread, rather than a real person. Seems a common M.O. anyway for bot accts.

If it turns out to be a real person, then I will (a) apologize profusely for doubting and then (b) eat my hat, with broccoli salt.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hmmm. Gotta love auto-correct. “Assist” market?? Like I never type the word Asian?

3 Likes

Same, although I never could figure out why they charge more for this at dim sum than most of the other pork and shrimp containing dishes.

Sorry about responding to old threads. I wasn’t aware there was a time limit, and do they actually time out? I see the new replies as fresh interest. I assure you, I am not a bot.

2 Likes

I didn’t say you were a bot. @CCE did :slight_smile: I don’t mind new replies at all. I just chuckle when I see them because often someone is asking for recs for a trip they’re taking, and sometimes those replies roll in on the 5th anniversary of their trip.

1 Like

Understood, no worries.

I’m with you. I don’t understand people who mock others for resurrecting old threads.

Cooking information doesn’t get dated often and if it does as old thread is a good place to post updated information.

4 Likes

Roasted sliced King oyster mushrooms over steamed broccoli

6 Likes

Any seasoning?

I do love king oysters.

A bit of miso paste with mirin, and just light sprinkling of salt to draw out some of the moisture.

2 Likes

See, you skipped the critical part (for me that is)!

Love miso and mushrooms.

It’s umami on umami violence!

Hah! Maybe not violence… more of an umami explosion. And especially with trumpets, they really do sing. My other favorite with them is tare sauce and some char. But that’s a lot of mushroom talk on a broccoli thread!