Broccoli

I wish there was a laugh emoji on here. It is certainly not a stir fry! I currently have corn ice cream in the freezer, so it’s not such a stretch from there, right?

3 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

Good thing he’s not Asian. :wink:

Do you have an air fryer? My husband bought it on a whim and I cursed him for it for at least 2 years and then I started using it and grudgingly admitted it was fun to use (although it uses a lot of energy).

Air fried broccoli with lots of garlic and lemon/zest is a satisfying snack/side dish. Nutritional yeast is great sprinkled on top. If he’s not spice-averse, add some crushed red pepper.

If no air fryer, you can still make this by oven roasting.

Hell, I’m going to make this tonight. No lemon in da house but I’ll make do.

Ikr! H and I could eat Asian food (Chinese, Japanese, Viet, Korean, Thai, Indian) 5x/week if left to our own devices. But the kid has a saturation point and has reached it. No air fryer, but I can try it in the oven. I think I have 1 lemon currently, and I have to choose wisely. I also have the smitten kitchen peach cobbler tab open on my browser, and she wants a lemon…decisions decisions.

4 Likes

I decided I’m going to sauté the broccoli, leave out the garlic, just salt and nutritional yeast. I have a bunch of limes…I wonder how those would taste? Weird?

I think weird. Somehow to me, lemon is much more versatile than lime.

2 Likes

I mainly use it in Asian dishes nowadays but grew up with it in Italian foods.

Put it in tomato sauce. In omelets or frittatas (with what you like, red bell peppers, olives, onions, garlic, whatever). In clear soups (like chicken soup) or make a cream of broccoli soup or broccoli cheddar soup. As a side dish with garlic and olive oil. In a baked potato with cheese or cheese and ham.

I didn’t see this Mark Bittman recipe/technique posted yet - basically, sear then steam. Works really well in a cast iron pan with a cookie/baking sheet for a cover.

6 Likes

Steamed with salted water, mixed at the end with butter, lemon, and salt or soy.

1 Like

Lime is good with it! I always have limes but not always lemons.

2 Likes

I love broccoli, and often just do a light steam. I’ll even sneak the smaller pieces to snack on while they cook. If you have a bit of cheese I find a bit of melted cheese on top of the broccoli seems popular with kids.

My favorite though is actually in stir fries, where it is paired with a good sauce and retains it’s crunch, so that won’t help.

3 Likes

best for my crew is the gai lan chinese broccoli simply steamed or stirfried (with garlic ginger and sesame oil and maybe a glug of rice or regular white wine if feeling really fancy), can do oyster sauce on top at end, mixed in with thai noodles, fish sauce, stuff like that…it’s an easier eating broccoli for me!

1 Like

My favorite preparation of broccoli is tempura, but I only have that out. At home, I tend to toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper and then roast at 400F for about 20-25 minutes. I like the charred flavor.

Sauteing with chicken breast, garlic, red pepper flakes, and olive oil and then tossed with penne and a little pasta water is a winner, too. Especially with parm or pecorino on the finished dish!

3 Likes

this one is very good.
do not sub for the golden raisins or red onion - they bring the zing to the dish.

150g small-tsp size broccoli florets (~2-2.5 cups)
100g golden raisins (1/2 cup)
60g mayonnaise 1/2 cup)
50g granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
1 T white wine
1 T apple cider vinegar
65g small diced red onion (1/2 cup)

Dressing prep
combine and blend smooth the mayo, wine, vinegar, sugar
add and toss to coat well

• broccoli
  • raisins
  • onion

refrigerate 2-4 hours, tossing occasionally

Crispies prep
(I prefer to add these just before service so the dressing does not make them soggy)
fine dice, fry to crisp: 6 slices (~150-170g) bacon
60g sunflower seeds (1/2 cup)

toss the bacon and sunflower seeds to mix, serve.

1 Like

I think you should do the onions with the bacon! (and the broccoli if it is raw).

I veddy much dislike cooking/sauting red onion. it’s best fresh&raw.
but, that’s just me.

3 Likes

It took me many years to enjoy broccoli because it was always cooked to smithereens when I was a kid. I will only eat it barely steamed with a squeeze of lemon. The hubs eats it with lemon and mayo. The kids reported that at some of their friend’s homes the broccoli was swimming in melted Velveeta or Chez Wiz and was acceptable to them. Ew. I used to make a pretty nice broccoli quiche BITD.

1 Like

Cooked to smithereens can de delicious.

3 Likes

Here is a fritter version that uses chickpea flour. It is a general-purpose veggie fritter recipe but excellent with broccoli.

2 Likes

Great