Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

Thanks. I do enjoy reading up in the hopes it helps me improve.

I started a rye flour starter earlier today. Fingers crossed it works out all week!

1 Like

Made poached pear and chocolate tart last week.

Pear was poached in a vanilla orange zest syrup. Tart case was cookedfor 12 minutes was then brushed with egg yolk and filled with an chocolate almond cream with some pears. It was cooked for another 17 minutes (170ºC). Chocolate vanilla cream was piped on top followed by slices of fruit.

I’ve also tried with poached apples, played with different cooking time, the texture was too soft to be desirable. I would have preferred baked apples for this tart.

12 Likes

My first try baking a Basque styled cheesecake. I used the 6 inch pan to test. It’s still warm and settling at this point.

11 Likes

Looks good! Is it a burnt top? Can’t tell with the photo.

Oh yeah, dark top. Soufflé like body right out of oven. From Bonnie Stern cookbook. I find her recipes/methods very accurate and she writes for small portioned bakes which we like.

Yum! Goat or cow cheese?

I’ve made one with a burnt top cheese cake, region Poitou-Charentes. Would like to try the basque version…

1 Like

Interesting. This is not as dark as yours and we will prefer a slight chill so it’s going into the wine cooler later. This was full fat cream cheese, heavy cream and 3 eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla bean.

1 Like

Yup, mine has a crust. Some people dislike it finding it the burnt flavour too strong.

The dark color appeals to me. I’m just hoping that it firms up correctly; dense and creamy.

My birthday cake! I have been wanting to make this cake for a while, but with only 2 people in the house and it being a fairly huge and expensive cake, I kept hesitating. But since it was my bday and no one else was baking me a birthday cake…
It is excellent! From Bravetart, the Red Wine Red Velvet Cake. I will use her recipe for cream cheese frosting from now on!
Snow storm just starting and my wonderful brother in law drove quite a way to pick up a large chunk of

cake to share.

16 Likes

Looks fab! Happy birthday! Treat yourself😁

3 Likes

What a great way to celebrate! Happy Birthday! :tada::tada:

1 Like

Happy birthday!

Glad you treated yourself to the cake you wanted - it’s all these the little things during this period…

Have a wonderful day, and great year ahead!

2 Likes

You are so worth it and how absolutely gorgeous! Happy birthday!!

1 Like

Best wishes on this special day.

Happy Birthday.

1 Like

Happy birthday! I’m so glad you decided to treat yourself! It looks magnificent!

I just bought that book myself. I love red velvet cake, but was put off a bit by the wine. Was there a real wine flavor to it? I was surprised to see that ingredient in there.

1 Like

Wow, your cake is a showstopper (in Great British Baking Show parlance). Enjoy every morsel and your birthday, too!

Some of the best brownies I’ve had were a high end brownie mix but instead of water? The baker used red wine. You could not taste the wine at all, they just tasted somehow deeper and richer.

So I am guessing you would not taste the wine in the cake either!

3 Likes

Happy belated birthday! That cake looks perfect! What a way to treat yourself!

Happy birthday!! Looked really good. Great you treat yourself well! Generally, I’ve less incentive to bake myself an elaborate birthday cake than for others!!