Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

Rye starter was a bust. I’ll try again in April.

…but, the pumpkin muffins are still a reliable winner!

8 Likes

Oh no! What do you think went wrong?

I don’t think it’s warm enough. I feed the starter like usual and it didn’t budge.

That’s too bad. I know that my proofing box is essential in the winter, and most of the year for that matter! Did you have some established starter to inoculate it? If not, message me and I can pop some dried starter in the mail for you.

That’s a very nice offer. Right now I have dried live starter from Breadtopia and King Arthur to use. But, may revisit your kind offer if they don’t work out either. thanks. I also have a sourdough dried yeast from RedStar.

If you are having trouble with your starter, you may wish to try Maggie Glezer’s firm sourdough starter. I’ve been using it with great success for over 15 years. I learned about it from her books, but she has allowed it to be posted online:

And I recommend going by weight instead of volume. In grams, if possible.

2 Likes

Thanks, I do weigh everything. I think its temp not method.

Temperature is but a single variable. It determines the time a starter or dough must rise. Or if at refrigerator temperatures, cannot rise.

No argument there. I have had much better success in warmer weather than 27 degrees F in NJ. I’m not discouraged. I’ll get there. In the meanwhile, I’ll bake bread…just not sourdough.

Just recall, 150 years ago or so, all bread was sourdough,

1 Like

I made my starter last November, kitchen isn’t particularly warm. I used my microwave as a proofing box. Warming it the desire temperature and let the bottle stay inside, checking the temperature from time to time and reheating when necessary. Only need to be more precise with temperature the first 3 days. I remember after I just left it in room temperature, it was alright.

Btw, did you use bottled mineral water? Organic flour? I remember a chef said tap water might contain chemical that the bacteria doesn’t like.

A few things of late.

Today, finally - quiche! I used the teeny tiny springform I got my nephew a few years ago (when he was also teeny tiny :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) - turns out it will take 1 egg using TK’s ratio (1 egg : 2/3c liquid).

And @Lambchop’s oil crust recipe (thank you!), scaled back (3/4c flour, 1/8T oil) but not too much, since it was a deep quiche. It was crumbly but I decided not to add more water, and it baked up perfectly.

Filling riffed - shallots, a bit of mushroom, and a tiny bit of chopped bacon (left over from breakfast).

So delicious!

Last night I was craving chocolate. So I made brownies, natch. I’ve been meaning to try the LPQ belgian brownie recipe, so that’s what I did. Via SK.

Excellent except for my dummy move of using the silicone cupcake pan without butter/cocoa lining (or just using a different pan with parchment. But: delicious! And such a crusty top.

And last weekend, I was sous chef to my nephew while he made molten chocolate cakes to conclude V day. The cakes were perfect, and doubling the 2-cake recipe resulted in 5 small cupcake-sized cakes plus a small pan of brownies, somehow. Also SK.

11 Likes

We don’t own a microwave. I use organic rye and room temp filtered water and fed with bread flour and the same water.

Looks so good.

1 Like

Oven might works too, heat slightly and switch it off. Problem is you may need to use oven from time to time. A chef suggested putting the starter in a plastic box and directly on the heater.

Love the crust. Normally I’m not a quiche person, but I’m seduced by yours!

2 Likes

I’ve left the oven light on to warm the space but it doesn’t always work. With plenty of bake plans. I have no reason to fret and fuss. April is soon enough.

1 Like

I would like to bake more sweets, Christmas and New Year didn’t make me gain any weight but these few weeks a few bakes and a lot chocolate, I noticed a change. Sigh I wish I can bake like you!!

Do it @naf!

I love deep quiche… any quiche, really, but especially a deep one.

2 Likes