Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

I have not, although I’ve been tempted to use it to make black garlic. The smell from making black garlic has always dissuaded me, though. My friend did it in his Instant Pot that he had plugged into his backyard shed. He said he could smell it two houses down. My ferments seem happy in my cooler kitchen.

1 Like

Ah. I was thinking yogurt. I have never worked with black garlic. But a multitasker is appealing.

1 Like

Ha, I was thinking of kimchi. Yes, for yogurt it works well! I made some Vietnamese yogurt awhile ago in it.

How is Vietnamese yogurt made?

It has a bit of sweetened condensed milk. When I buy it, I find it much too sweet, so I like being able to add as little/much of the condensed milk as possible. Plus, I can make it with organic ingredients.

It’s made the same way as plain yogurt: heat your milks, let cool and inoculate (I usually use store-bought yogurt with live cultures), and let it sit in a heated space. I like using individual jars to make my yogurt so they can be grab and go.

4 Likes

Yogurt making is on my give it a try list. So is kimchi.

2 Likes

Yogurt can be persnickety at the beginning, but homemade yogurt is so delicious it’s worth the effort (my mom would say it’s almost no effort, which is also correct).

4 Likes

Check out Maangchi for kimchi.

Also the book Koreatown has some quick kimchi recipes - not fully fermented like the real thing, but great in a pinch.

3 Likes

Thxs for the boost of confidence! My list keeps growing! :wink:

2 Likes

Instant Pot yogurt is foolproof and wonderful IMO. Very easy too!

1 Like

I own an IP now and will give yogurt and cheesecake a try using those features.

1 Like

Mrs. P made a magnificent chocolate sin cake inspired by Cafe Sbisa in New Orleans. It was so silky and decadent. We had it with coffee whipped cream, fresh fruit, and cranberry, cherry, cabernet conserve, which was a perfect offset to the chocolate. It took her several hours to prepare. I’m including the recipe in case anyone is interested.

10 Likes

I made 100% whole wheat sourdough using some excellent flour from Central Milling plus some freshly milled red wheat and rye berries.

I still need to do some more tweaking before I get the crumb and taste I want, but this was pretty darn good for a WW loaf. My aunt is trying to eliminate all white flour from her diet, so she asked if I could make something for her.

10 Likes

Nice! I wish we were neighbors!

1 Like

Same! All your bakes looks delicious!

So generous of you. I really am trying.

1 Like

Would be glad to buy your bread if you are in the neighbourhood.

1 Like

@wildtomato. I was reading through the Central Milling site. Have you taken any of their classes?

I have not taken any of their classes, but they all look interesting. Their storefront is closed right now, which is too bad because it was a blast being able to browse all the speciality flours and grains.

1 Like

I thought of two more books you should check out for your sourdough journey. I don’t know why I didn’t mention them earlier because I frequently flip through them for inspiration. Heirloom and Sourdough by Sarah Owens are wonderful. She also has a lot of recipes for using up the sourdough discard.

1 Like