Hay is for Horses, Autumn is for Bakers (Oct-Dec 2015)

Aww, thanks–yes, definitely too airy to roll and dip. My guess is that’s why buckeyes are so darned sweet. :slight_smile: I’ve also seen variations with graham crackers (for the candies) in case that can help add texture without crazy sugar.

Just to get you heading in that direction, here are “Colleen’s Peanut Butter Squares.”

2 cups peanut butter
1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup butter, melted
1# box powdered sugar (I know, I know)

Spread in 9 x 13 pan.

Top with:
6 oz. chocolate chips (someone wrote in “little wax”–no thank you)
1/2 cup butter.

Refrigerate overnight. Same concept, not so sure about less sugar. Sorry!

Thanks! This looks like less powdered sugar than my mom’s recipe, but the graham crackers would definitely add a texture that I’m not sure I’m into. I’m planning to experiment with white chocolate as a sweetener and stabilizer for the filling, but I’m fairly certain I’ll still need something to marry the white chocolate and peanut butter. Unless anyone has had success just melting PB and white chocolate together into something tasty and dippable? :smile:

Forgive my candor, but I never think of white chocolate as a less sugary alternative. :slight_smile: Are you trying to get rid of the butter (old school margarine), too?

No, I’m totally fine with butter! In fact, I was thinking that a riff on cooked flour frosting might work as a base for this - if I cook the flour and milk together (no sugar), then whip in butter and peanut butter, I’d have an unsweetened “base” that I could then thicken with melted white chocolate as necessary.

I know white chocolate is sweet, but I’m thinking that its power as a stiffener for something like this is probably much greater than that of powdered sugar, so I can get away with using less of it than I would powdered sugar. I could be 100% wrong about that, though. I haven’t worked with white chocolate enough to really know how much stability it can provide. I have been looking at white chocolate truffle recipes for guidance, but they vary WILDLY in the proportion of cream to chocolate they recommend - I’ve seen 2 T. of cream to 8 oz of chocolate and 1/2 c. of cream to 8 oz of chocolate, with the claim that both will become firm enough to roll into balls.

Hi everybody. I just discovered this link not long time ago. I like pastry because it’s so difficult and is so satisfying when succeed. (much more than cooking)

Finally!! After my 4th try on baking this French Poitou-Charentes cheesecake « tourteau fromager » , I have this one that is not cracked on the top. The main ingredient of this cake is a combination of normal or creamy goat cheese. It’s not too sweet, and I especially like the burnt taste.

Mine isn’t very good looking yet…the top isn’t very smooth, and as you see inside, it isn’t very uniform yet, there is a hole. Most of the time, I had a cracked top, the inside was more regular. The difficult part is the reaction between the temperature of the oven with the egg white…

42033b9841602094f674024f89f3f7c3b7f8062d_1_700x525

Here is a recipe: https://logrerie.wordpress.com/the-recipes-in-english/sweets/cheesecake-the-french-way-tourteau-fromager-with-creamy-goat-cheese-and-an-intriguing-dark-crust/

The recipe I used: http://www.marais-poitevin-vacances.com/gastronomie/tourteau-fromager.htm

Very interesting recipe - I’ve never seen anything quite like it before! I enjoy “burnt” flavors and I love goat cheese, so I am sure I would adore this!

That is such an interesting dessert, and quite a challenge. Good for you :smiley: How does it taste?

It has a crispy top with a slight burnt taste (not very strong), the cake is light and airy, it’s salty sweet, and you can still taste the cheese, I used a few drops of congac to add some depth. The shortcrust pastry at the bottom add a third texture. It’s a cake that is relatively easy to make (Well, if you don’t particularly care if the cake cracked or not), very tasty. With the recipe, I can make 3 cakes, they were all gone in a day. you can easily eat a lot since it isn’t very sweet. You can keep them in fridge for a few days.

You need to anticipate to drain the liquid from the cheese, which usually takes about 1 day. (I use a strainer, too lazy washing the cloth). The fromager is quite flexible with mould too, it’s an old recipe that start with using a deep plate.

If you like cheesecake, I strongly recommande it!

1 Like

Thanks, Naf, that is really different (in a good way!) and I hope to taste this someday. I’ve never even heard of torteau fromager before, but, as we say, it sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Hmmmm… Does the Husky help with the baking? Mine is more inclined to help with the cabbage slicing. He’s got a sweet tooth but cabbage is his favorite.

Isn’t he handsome? And he’s a member of the pink nose club, too–same as Amy’s Rocco and my Carly. Very funny about the cabbage.

No, the Husky in the brownies post was Amy’s. I had one, too, but once upon a time in my 20s. Here she is. She loved strawberries and taking a ride to DQ.

My baking helper is the black cat you see in my avatar. Nowadays, she loves to sit in front of the oven.

Thought I’d borrow a popular tradition from Chowhound to see if HOs have the same interest in baking! I made a wonderful loaf of sourdough bread (70% hydration, natural starter) and a batch of Robert’s Absolute Best Brownies (a David Lebovitz recipe). They are almost easier than a mix and incredibly fudgy and delicious. I use half of a Pound Plus 72% bar from Trader Joe’s for the chocolate and a little less sugar than called for.

Yes, vvvindaloo already has an autumn baking thread started. Not many of us here yet–maybe you’d like to join her thread already in progress?

Oops, missed that one! Thanks for letting me know!

1 Like

these:

these too:

Every year the Sunday after Thanksgiving we do brunch for some friends. Sticky buns & fishcakes are the specialties for that day.

made this chocolate chestnut torte for thanksgiving, so it counts for november:)

5-6 ounces canned or vacuum-packed whole chestnuts rinsed, drained, and patted dry if using canned
(i used the 5.2-ounce package i found @ market basket, and it was fine.)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 ounces bittersweet (50-60%) chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled
4 large eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
chocolate glaze (recipe below)

Line the bottom of a greased 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper, then grease the paper.

In a food processor puree the chestnuts with the butter, vanilla and salt, scraping down the sides, until the mixture is smooth. Add the chocolate and blend the mixture until it is combined well. With the motor running, add the yolks, 1 at a time, then transfer the mixture to a large bowl.

In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the whites with cream of tartar until they hold soft peaks, add the sugar, a little at a time, beating, and beat the meringue until it holds stiff peaks.
Fold about one fourth of the meringue into the chocolate mixture to lighten, then fold in the remaining meringue gently but thoroughly.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake the torte in the middle of a preheated 375°F. oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until a tester comes out with crumbs adhering to it and the top is cracked.

Let the torte cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, remove the side of the pan, and invert the torte onto another rack. Remove the bottom of the pan, reinvert the torte onto a rack, and let it cool completely before glazing. (The torte will fall as it cools.)

Chocolate Glaze
¼ cup coconut milk (or heavy cream)
2.5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

Heat coconut milk, then pour over chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

I’m not much of a baker, but I’m pretty proud of the mincemeat muffins I made tonight.

1 Like

I love that photo of the brownies with the recipe… It looks like baked fudge frosting :slight_smile: