Best places around the world for Honey

This thread was split from another I apologize if that affects its flow

Perhaps one day you could show us your home-style Greek dishes? Something in your repertoire, I mean.

I visited Corfu a long time ago. Three years ago I returned to Greece when I was on holiday alone in Albania. Meteora was impressive. Chilled out and drank Greek craft beers in Thessaloniki, where I also ate lots of souvlaki of course. Apparently the best honey in the world comes from northern Greece. If I go that way again I will bring some back. Last time I didn’t check in my bag so couldn’t get any.

But I made up for it with oregano, chilli flakes and paprika. Once you have real Greek oregano all other oregano tastes like saw dust!

3 Likes

What makes Greek honey the best ?
Super bees or the flora and fauna they’re around?

Yes, that and more. I remember seeing wild thyme everywhere in the Albanian and Meteora countryside. The bees love thyme. But Himalayan honey are also famous and sometimes lives are lost trying to get it.

Quoting a few points from this site: https://www.greecefoods.com/honey/

• Greece has more bee hives “per acre” than any other country in Europe.

• The best honey in Greece comes from “Thyme” (Thimari in Greek), by far the best honey in the world and a favorite among honey connoisseurs.

• The honey from Greece is considered to be some of the finest honey in the world. Variables such as unlimited summer sun, the biodiversity of the Greek countryside plus the rich variety of Greek flora which includes over 850 species found nowhere else in the world! Earth scientists and botanists consider Greece a country with the richest flora in the Mediterranean basin, (more than 7,500 different species of herbs, plants, wild flowers and trees). Thus, with this magnificent array of nature’s blessings, the bees give us multiple types of Greek honey which is its claim to popularity and fame. Now, maybe you are starting to understand the pride in the country’s honey and its top position in the world market.

4 Likes

I love honey. I keep piling up new quests from this place.

1 Like

This is the one I usually find at local Greek or Mediterranean food-centric stores. SO good!

3 Likes

We have neither of those here in tiny town.
I’ll put in a request at hippie coop, though,
Thanks
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I often eat cheese with honey. This Alsatian cheese has been baked and honey added (when plate is out of the oven).

2 Likes

Thanks, jr.

Slovenia has awesome Honey, Silver Fir is my Favorite. They have a long history of Bee Keeping in the Region. Also the Yucatan Peninsula has amazing Honeys especially the White

Slovenian Hives!

4 Likes

Amazing :wink:

They have a long history of decorating the Hives. Here are some of the Historical ones

They even have Bee Museum in Radovljica http://web.bf.uni-lj.si/jbozic/muzej/muzej.html

8 Likes

I saw a documentary about collecting honey in Nepal. It’s so prized that men would risk their lives for it.

5 Likes

I remember when National Geographic covered this story. I kept the issue because of the photos.

My current vote is for South Manchester (northwest England).

Guy sells at a local “artisan” market and it’s an outstandingly good product - rich and quite floral. His own hives are about 4 miles away from me - so not only best honey, but nearest honey.

https://heyfarmshops.co.uk/03149288/Fozz-Bees

2 Likes

The best of honey is in California! Because we said so.

2 Likes

Greek Honey is excellent. We also have some fabulous honey right here in NJ. We deal with Fruitwood orchards which has honey from all over although we only buy the NJ Honey. There are three types particular to NJ: Cranberry, from hives in the Cranberry Bogs; Blueberry from hives in the Blueberry patches; Pine Barren - from hives in the NJ Pine Barrens.

3 Likes

The best honey is what I get from a friend’s nearby hives and he gifts me a 2 pints :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking!

1 Like

As with anything, isn’t “best” highly subjective? :joy:

While on the topic of honey, I went to this honey shop in Asheville NC on @ChristinaM’s recommendation, and it was a revelation - they had tastings of a wide range of honey sourced from different flowers - very distinctive in flavor, color, intensity.

3 Likes

Did you taste sourwood honey when you were down this way? Sourwood is my favorite. I always replenish when I’m near Asheville.

2 Likes