Best Fried Chicken in Houston?

I had been thinking about posting a question about different international varieties of fried chicken available in Houston when I saw this in Houstonia a few weeks back.

I have had Al Aseel, Dak and Bop (and other Korean versions), and Barbecue Inn, of course. I haven’t had Jollibee but I had a Filipino fried chicken dish at Jonathan’s Pampanga in the Viet Hoa Center while it was in business. And I’ve been to Pollo Campero a few times.

Still haven’t made it to Himalaya. Punta Cana has been on my list for at least a year but I haven’t gotten out there yet. I hadn’t even noticed the fried chicken on the menu but that description sounds worthy. The restaurant pretty consistently gets good reviews and the pictures look great.

How about some of the rest of you guys and gals???

But, ahem, they missed a few.

Ayam Goreng Mama Yu - Indonesian style fried chicken, served with a fermented shrimp paste. Like just about everything I had at Mama Yu, excellent.

And fried chicken is apparently very big in Honduras.

I’ve had it at Coquitos and Las Hamacas. That’s the Las Hamacas on the Gulf Freeway; pollo frito served with refritos rojas with queso duro (hard cheese), a thick, warm flour tortilla, and the cabbage and pickled red onion salad that is ubiquitous in Honduran meals. The birds at both places were very tough. I thought maybe they were using old hens instead of young fryers.

I’ve also had very good fried chicken at a taqueria in Baytown; not floured or battered, I think, just seasoned with, among other things, lots of annato, judging by the color.

So for Fried Chicken Day I thought about going back to Mama Yu but took a look at the menu for Rice Bowl II. They have two ayam goreng (fried chicken) dishes on the menu so I went out to try one of them.

Ayam Goreng Kuning. Uh, what?

The chicken pieces are hacked up. As I understand it, they’re marinated in a yellow curry (turmeric), then braised in the curry to produce what I think would be called a dry curry or a fry - with all the liquid (and seasonings) absorbed into the meat, like with beef rendang. And then it gets ‘fried’ in a pan with shallow oil, supposedly to crisp up the skin. I didn’t get any crispy skin. And what all that ‘debris’ is I don’t know - ingredients in the curry that didn’t get absorbed? And I wasn’t sure what to do with it.

Probably won’t be ordering this one again although I will say the meat was very tender and flavorful, even right out of the refrigerator over the next couple of days - and I don’t usually care for cold fried chicken.

The other fried chicken dish is Ayam Goreng Mentega, described as fried chicken in a sweet buttery sauce.

Rice Bowl II

1 Like

Great post! I took Al Aseel off my list after reading someone’s experience about it here on this forum, I think. I can’t remember what it was but it was enough to make me take it off my list!

I went to Pollo Campero in Guatemala City once not too long ago! Not bad fast food chicken, but I don’t know why they drag it on airplanes to Houston every week either.

Himalaya chicken is just the stuff dreams are made of. I haven’t been lucky on return visits to catch him making them. Last time I went, the guy who ordered before us got the last chicken. You get a whole chicken or no chicken.

Okay, we need a volunteer to ‘take one for the team.’ Wait a minute - I’ll do it! I’ll probablly give 'em a couple of weeks but I want to see what the fuss about Gus is all about.

2 Likes

How near to opening is it? This is way too close to my office. :grin:

The article says next week. We’ll see how that goes.

You poor thing.

1 Like

According to multiple reports, Gus’s opened Monday.

Yes, and food writer Eric Sandler was at the door when they turned the key!

I ordered and was billed for a 2 piece dark plate - this is what I got. I don’t know if this is standard practice when the pieces are small.

This is very tasty fried chicken, very juicy. There’s only a subtle, pleasant heat that took me a couple of bites to notice and didn’t build or last. The baked beans were too sweet (always are for me) and were scaldingly hot. The cole slaw, a very generous portion, was way too sweet for me. These are the standard sides that come with the plates; there’s a $.50 upcharge for substitutions. I do want to try the potato salad and the greens; the fries also look good in pictures and at other tables. I was going to get a breast and two sides to go but decided I’d rather wait and experience the chicken hot.

They have sweet and unsweetened tea.

It’s table service. Took 10-15 mins for the chicken to come out. The place was more than half full at 1:30 pm. The parking lot is alongside; it’s narrow and you exit on a very narrow back street. When I was leaving, a j/a with an extended cab p/u had failed to pull all the way in to his slot (nor gotten anywhere near staying within the yellow lines) and it was a tight squeeze getting by. Grrrrrrrr!

I’ll be back. Maybe before the end of the week. I recommend all fried chicken lovers at least give this a try. It’s a very unique recipe, I think, and, no, not at all what I would have expected from a Nashville Hot Chicken place (which Gus’s emphasizes they are not). I hope they open more locations.

Oh yes, this is at Gus’s, 1815 Washington (right across from B&B Butchers and Bakers). I won’t post the link again because the software will throw a conniption fit since it’s been posted before in this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks, Bruce!

I was wondering. Read all the glowing raves from aficionados just happy they’re here, but was curious as to what an unbiased patron might think.

You’re welcome, Jaymes. I hope you enjoy it if you go. I want to get back soon to validate my conclusions.

I didn’t know much about this. The local foodie media, of course, really built it up and I expected to be underwhelmed. But the recipe has attracted a lot of national attention, too.

Sounds good I think we’ll give it about six weeks as we’re planning a major all you can eater at Monument Inn in 2 weeks. I think it will take a month to recover.

I see one problem with Gus’s and that’s driving past El Tiempo coming and going and the temptation of spending 70 bucks or so on margaritas.

2 Likes

:yum:

Can’t help you with your problem but I understand those 12 Step programs can be really effective :grin:.

1 Like

@jcostiones - if you wouldn’t mind company for your Monument Inn feast, let me know when and I’ll make the trek over if I possibly can.

1 Like

Wow, flash back, let us know how that is now!

I want to try Gus’s still, those pieces really are small!

1 Like

Yes, but if they’re really good, that only means you have to get more. They’re bigger than wings, and that didn’t stop the Korean chicken wing franchises. In fact, although I obviously don’t know for sure, sounds like some of the flavor profiles are similar. I’d like to try them.

2 Likes

Company would be welcome. All of our happy little group is welcome, you, Doobs and The Posse, brucesw, Lambsy and hubby.

We’re going Saturday the 16th around 2.

1 Like

It’s not that many margaritas, 70 dollars translates into five margaritas between two people plus tax, title, and a generous tip.

3 Likes

Whoa! Since i don’t drink anymore (and almost exclusively frequented dives when I did) I don’t keep up with drink prices these days. I was just funnin’ anyways, jc.

1 Like

Way2go, Jaymes! Of course, some of those Korean wing places serve awfully big wings - thinking of Dak & Bop and Bonchon/Sugar Land.

I was looking at Jay Francis’ Fried Chicken blog where he’s tried to deconstruct/reconstruct? the Gus’s recipe over multiple posts. I was surprised to see he thinks the heat is only from black pepper and cayenne (but not surprised to see he thinks there’s sweet paprika in the mix). But if this recipe actually originated in a small town in Tennessee in the 1950s, I’m sure they wouldn’t have had access to any exotic ingredients so he may be right.

1 Like

I would LOVE to do this if we weren’t witnessing a double plunge in to Lake Nuptial at that exact moment. Post pics!

1 Like