Best Fried Chicken in Houston?

I’m putting it on my calendar. Been wanting to go since I moved here. Sounds teriffic.

1 Like

It’ll be great seeing you again and both of us are looking forward to it.

:anguished:I’m so sad to miss!
Anyway, here’s this. I have never heard of many of them:

@DoobieWah Hey Doobs…can y’all make it?

1 Like

Doobs and The Posse must and will make it.

1 Like

…and now for something completely different, fried chicken.

Has anybody been to Golden Chick on Westheimer? It gets generally good reviews on Yelp.

1 Like

Likewise. I have been to eight of them and had the fried chicken. I’ve been to a couple of others, including Zydeco Louisiana Kitchen and Calliope’s and didn’t realize they had fried chicken. I’m thinking of going to Gumbo Jeaux’s soon but for the gumbo, not fried chicken. (I’m thinking of doing a gumbo tour).

They list one of the locations of the Louisiana Famous chain which I just went to recently and found very mediocre. Best? The article was probably written by a flunkie sitting at a desk in San Antonio, anyway. These days, it seems a lot of San Antonio local news makes the front page of the Chronicle online edition.

Ones I do want to try include Kitchen 713 and I think you wrote up one, too, that I want to try.

I did write about the wings here, but I think they have regular fried chicken at other times, maybe at dinner. I’ve had the chicken at Max’s Wine Dive and didn’t really think it was all that special. I used to go to the Zydeco in the tunnels downtown and never noticed fried chicken either. I recall it fondly though!

Heard from @DoobieWah. He’s fine, just busy. Says he went to Monument Inn not too long ago so skipping this one.

I said I hoped he’d think of something else…

How do the rest of you feel about Korean BBQ - Korean BBQ Garden, maybe?

That looks interesting! I’ve never had this type of BBQ. I see they say they are in Koreatown, I wasn’t aware we had a designated Koreatown! and in Spring Branch of all places!

Spring Branch is probably the most diverse neighborhood and ground zero is Westview and Blalock with multiple Korean restaurants and Super H Mart and 99 Ranch Market just south on Blalock.

1 Like

An article from 2012 ----- or is that 1912??? :smile:

I think a couple of those are gone.

I keep forgetting to respond to this - sorry. I went a couple of months after it opened. It’s okay but I don’t plan on going back - just not that special and not worth the hassle/traffic. If it’s close to you, give it a try. Good fried chicken is worth driving for - Frenchy’s, Gus’s, …

1 Like

I’ve been to several out in SFO Bay Area with my son & his food fan pals & to BBQ Garden here a couple of times with my other son. Unlike most Korean BBQ places where you cook the meats on a hot griddle in the middle of the table, these places have an actual charcoal fire & grill in the middle of the table. I think they’re pretty “grate.” :grin:

Frenchy’s is definitely worth the drive and we’ll be going to Gus’s in about six weeks.

Back in the late 70’s early 80’s Frenchy’s had two non franchise locations on 610 South besides the original on Scott.

One was on MLK/610 with a drive-thru and the other Scott/610 with no drive -thru but a very armed guard with a shotgun. Both were right up there with the original.

Another place in the area was Henderson’s Fried Chicken in a blue brick building right next to TSU on Blodgett. That was some good chicken fried freshly by a couple of older ladies from Louisiana. They’ve been closed about fifteen years, a shame.

:yum: I was, ahem, never a customer at either of those! The first Frenchy’s I can remember was on Shepherd, just south of Alabama, but I can’t put a time to it. I went to work in Montrose from 83-95 but I think it was before that. I loved the greens - they were a revelation to me. My mom added sugar to greens and I couldn’t stand them. My dad had to add vinegar (we never had Pik-a-Pepper (?) sauce) - I think he had to have both the sugar and the vinegar to choke 'em down. I loved the the pot likker in Frenchy’s greens.

I heard of Henderson’s but never got over there until it was closed.

I remember Ron’s Crispy Fried Chicken, before Frenchy’s and before Popeye’s; I think they were bought out by Church’s. We called it Ron’s Crispy Critters because you sometimes couldn’t easily identify which part of the chicken you were eating from the shape.

I have never cared for Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I wonder why Frenchy’s has always had so much trouble with consistency at the franchise/satellite locations? Maybe they just don’t have a good training program or enough control over their franchisees?

I was, ahem, a guest at the Scott/610 location post '75 around midnight on a Saturday night when an older guest staggered in with a box of bones claiming he’d been ripped off.

He was quickly shown the door by the shotgun toting security guard.

I frequented the Shepherd location and the chicken was always delicious and got a tray of beans and rice with andouille for the office Christmas pot luck circa 1990 and it was well received.

Henderson’s was worth the drive, and while it didn’t have the seasoning of Frenchy’s it was good, hot, and tasty.

I loved Ron’s

1 Like

I had several issues with computer brain cramping and will resume tomorrow.

Connectivity Issues here. Seems to be cleared up.

Well @jcostiones - should have known too good to be true for me. Daughter has had sudden emergency work event requirement and needs her handy standby babysitter. C’est moi. So no Monument Inn for me this Saturday.

But I hope we can all arrange another meet-up sometime soon.

Not only is Katy Asian Town looking fabulous with several ‘first in Texas’ eateries (Japan’s ‘Beard Papa’s Cream Puffs’ for example), but word has come that another Asian-themed mall is also on the way!

Jaymes I created a thread for you explaining why we might not be there Saturday. Check it out.

1 Like