Before You Go Overboard on Electrics...

The urge to ditch fossil fuel appliances is admirable, in the sense that your house will be cleaner and–maybe–greener.

But replacing your gas stove, HWH, dryer and furnace with electrics often winds up being more complicated and costly than just buying the new stuff.

Are your present electrical panel, wiring and outlets up to the increased demand? If not, are you prepared to shell out thousands more to upgrade your service?

Food for thought: https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2024/03/05/home-upgrade-electric-panels-evs-appliances/

1 Like

That link will be gated if you don’t subscribe. If you do subscribe to WaPo, you can get a gift link by clicking the “share” button at the bottom of the article. Here is the ungated link:

3 Likes

Or just get solar panels …

1 Like

NG use varies widely across the USA.

I’m not sure adding panels means your system is completely upgraded to be able to handle 100% electric suites of appliances.

It doesn’t. If your residence isn’t already wired for sufficient power for your needs, it’ll still need to be upgraded as part of the process.

I spoke to a coworker. She moved into a house with induction cooktop already installed. Of course, most of her cookware did not work, so she went out to buy a few set of cookware (induction compatible), and still half of these induction compatible cookware did not work – likely due to size difference and the induction cooktop must had been very particular. At the end, she went and bought a new gas stove cooktop. I guess she gave up getting another induction cooktop.

I don’t mind induction cooktop, but I have so many non-iron based cookware (pure aluminum and clay cookware) that I need to think more carefully.

I did 5 years ago.

And I got a new gas stove last year. Best of both worlds

That’s the way to do it.

I will never give up gas stoves. And my solar panels are great for my EVs

2 Likes

All of my cookware worked from the beginning on my induction cooktop (except my copper, but I expected that). Probably because for a couple of decades I made sure that when I bought SS it was induction capable. My cousins just bought an induction range. They had to replace a couple of things, but it was no big deal for them. They are enthusiastic cooks (and very good at it) , but not obsessive about their cookware.

1 Like

Yes, it does.

It just depends on the solar panel system and setup you buy.

Yeah. I have a feeling that she has a particularly “picky” induction cooktop. My guess is that if she go ahead and buy a modern induction cooktop, the problem will go away, but I guess she does not want to take another chance.

I have a plain old GE Profile range. Cousins got a Frigidaire. Both journeyman stoves.

1 Like

I think this is something a home owner needs to think about for any renovation, though. We didn’t need to upgrade anything when we replaced our radiant electric stove with an induction one. However, when we added a Jacuzzi tub and Kohler bidet type toilet to the master bathroom, we were told we would need to upgrade electric panel, this included adding a second breaker box, for more power (don’t remember specifics beyond that, but it is definitely a thing to be aware of).

1 Like

Well, if a 200 amp panel upgrade comes with the a solar panel system, and replaces the 100 amp one in most older US houses, then I get it.

When I was quoted such a system, it was $14K plus I’dve been foolish not to also replace my roof at the same time for another $15K. The payback period is probably longer than I have left.

100 amp was pretty “standard” ~1960’s
200 amp was pretty “standard” ~1980’s

we built a new home summer 1978 - it came “standard” with 200 amp

“age” is a consideration, but the service size is something to be sure about .

A 400-watt solar panel will not require an upgrade in a modern home with a 200-amp panel, but it could in an older home with a 100-amp panel.

But, really, if a home has a 100 amp panel, whether it’s old, new, or somewhere in between, it needs to be upgraded, even if the homeowner is not going, ahem, “overboard” on electrics. After all, most homes under 3,000 square feet (or even 2500 square fee) cannot reliably use a 100-amp panel if they use air conditioning or electric heat, which for most people is a non-negotiable.

1 Like

No it doesn’t necessarily “need”, unless you overtax the system by adding in even more electric and removing fossil-burning appliances.

One of my houses, built in 1949, has always been all-electric, and has a 100-amp panel. I even kept the register heaters when the heat pump was added in 1983. Never popped a breaker.

You think I should I report the inspector who approved this work without a 200 amp upgrade?

1 Like

Appreciate the gift link!

I don’t know what mine could handle. Originally at least the dryer and stove/range were electric, so the house was wired for that (I’ve replaced both with gas) and the existing AC compressors draw high amp.