Beans, beans, beans....

I like that collard greens kind of pot liquor in my vegetarian beans…been making that dish vegetarian too and i actually like it better that way now sans bacon…what happened?? who am i???

5 Likes

:pensive:

1 Like

my wife and daughter are in animal rescue…we spend too much time in berkeley lol!

In all seriousness tho, it’s really important for my girls to get healthy protein under the circumstances so ive been working hard on my vegetarian dishes…thankfully they aren’t vegan (yet). Beans beans beans is right…

2 Likes

She got it originally because it’s a gonzo source of the B-type vitamins that are hard for vegetarians to source. Now she likes it for the flavor and adds it to several dishes, even “savory” oatmeal.

Before she found that I was adding B-complex tabs (dissolved and filtered out the microcrystalline cellulose) to my kombucha at the second ferment. If I kept it below about 200% RDA for most of the B vitamins, that distinct “b-vitamin flavor” wasn’t noticeable.

4 Likes

Baby green limas (camellia brand) w zucchini squash yellow tomatoes jalapeños trinity and veggie broth. Herbs and Jamaican curry powder as well.

Steak on side later.

Summer meets fall.

Happy Labor Day !

7 Likes

Linking the dried bean thread:

2 Likes

I adore baby limas. Maybe my favorite bean. Both fresh (or fresh frozen) and from dried

2 Likes

It’s one of our go tos as well. We get the six pack on Amazon

Camellia Brand Dried Green Baby Lima Beans, 1 Pound (Pack of 6) https://a.co/d/cruMORk

Amazing how big they plump up from the dried compared to some other beans.

Where do you find fresh ones ? Is it a pain in the arse like favas?

1 Like

I buy both dried and fresh from the indian store, or occasionally at middle eastern or mediterranean / Greek stores.

Fresh (frozen) are also available at some regular grocery stores near me, but not all the time.

Single shelling - not double like favas. (If you do buy frozen favas, you may still have to do the second shelling yourself.)

2 Likes

Any interesting recipes for this bean ?

I’m sure I’ve posted some before, will look later.

1 Like

And again. Nancy’s chick peas cooked with olive oil, in a salad with “all the things” in my fridge, this time with cilantro, splash of tomato shrub, splash of pomegranate molasses, some pluot jam, preserved lemons, chopped shallots, roasted pepper paste, fresh chopped yellow and hotter peppers, celery, and The “New (in 1989) Basics Coookbook” “Pacific Grilled Salmon”.

I’m missing the avocado. I might add some olives…or capers…Or maybe the hubs will bring Chick Fil A.

12 Likes

Once the beans are cooked to desired softness, add an Italian soffrito, a splash of white wine, several hand crushed San Marzanos, oregano, black pepper, and grilled and sliced Italian sausage with fennel. For a vegetarian version just add the fennel, toasted of course. Add torn up baguette if you want it thicker.

3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Looks like that little hole in the wall made a big impression. Love it when that happens.

1 Like

Some basic bean recipes I’ve liked enought to keep in our rotation:

3 Likes

I plan to augment the Taco Tuesday grilled chicken thigh tacos with black beans, canned (HEB). Yum.

2 Likes

I’ll frequently make refried beans from canned beans to go along with tacos:

1 can black beans
1 T. bacon grease
1 small onion, diced fine
1/2 T. garlic, minced
Tabasco
Salt
Pepper

Drain the beans, reserving the liquid; mix the liquid with an equal amount of water and set aside. In a medium sauce pan, melt the bacon grease over medium heat. Saute the onion until soft - about 3 minutes; add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add the beans and half the reserved liquid. Reduce heat and simmer a few minutes, mashing the beans with a potato masher or fork to the desired texture. Continue simmer, adding the balance of the liquid in parts until beans reach desired consistency. Season with tabasco, salt and pepper.

6 Likes