Baumalu Authenticity

A few questions for the copper-obsessed here, please.

I bought a few Baumalu pieces about 10 years ago at TJ Maxx. Now, reading through some of the old posts here, I have started questioning if it is real Baumalu and if it contains lead.

Rivits: how many rivets on the handle do real Baumalu have: Some of my pieces have 2 rivits; others 3. I can discern no other difference at the join.

Stamp or Marque: on real Baumalu, is the marque on the left or the right of the handle, looking at it from the side with the top up?

Did Baumalu ever sell off unmarqued pieces which did not meet quality standards? If so, how would one know?

Lead: I am assuming that the lead, if present, would be at the rivit site. But should I also be checking on the inside tin lining as well? I am checking the rivit site on the inside of the piece: should I be checking somewhere else as well?

Thanking you in advance.
Signed,
Prepared to be Sadder but Wiser

I’m no expert on Baumalu, but I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of knocking them off. Not that they’re bad pans, but it’d be a little like counterfeiting $5 bills.

If you’re worried, buy a lead test kit. Food grade tin is not that expensive, so you’re probably good.

1 Like

Thanks, Kaleo.

Where should I be checking?

YW. Anywhere on the sidewall. The lining was done in one fell swoop.

I agree with Kaleo completely.

I’ve never heard of counterfeit Baumalu or any other copper cookware, except one instance in which counterfeit antique marks were contemporarily being placed on antique unmarked pans to increase their collectibility.

To repeat what Kaleo said, it wouldn’t make economical sense to make fake Baumalu cookware.

I think the chance of significant lead contamination is very very low. It would make no sense since it wouldn’t be economically advantageous for the manufacturer since food grade tin is relatively abundant/inexpensive.

The only way I can imagine a copper pan would get contaminated with lead is if a DIYer was re-tinning his own pans and bought non-food grade tin out of inexperience.

I wouldn’t bother testing but if you’re suspicious go ahead. Let us know what you find and post pictures.

1 Like

Lead is unlikely, but a purchasing a lead test kit certainly will put your mind in ease.

1 Like

If you’ve had them for 10 years, and they were knockoffs, then they were pretty darn good knockoffs.

Baumalu could take a lesson or two from them

1 Like

LOL!!

Kaleokahu: it was because of what you wrote in a Hungry Onion discussion which I was recently researching, that I asked about the counterfeit Baumalu. In April 2016, you wrote: “I recommend you test the Baumalu linings for lead. Unfortunately, there are counterfeit Baumalu that make their way into discount stores which have lead-laced linings. Genuine Baumalu are fine, but test them.”

Getting into copper - Cooking Discussions / Cookware - Hungry Onion

I am guessing that you forgot you wrote this six years ago when you responded to my request for more information a few days ago and wrote: “I’m no expert on Baumalu, but I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of knocking them off. Not that they’re bad pans, but it’d be a little like counterfeiting $5 bills.”

First, it was offputting for me to read your response that the cookware I bought (and really like and treasure because it is really neat and expensive by my standards) was too cheap to counterfeit. Not all the members here want or can afford to buy very expensive cookware. I would request that you be mindful of this.

Thanks.
I don’t understand why you and others (ipsedixit and alarash) think the Baumalu is so poor quality. The ones I got are more than 2 mm thick of copper, and I have used them regularly – several times a week at least – since 2012. They are in good shape. I also got a Ruffoni, which is thinner-walled. Maybe it was fake.

I tested them all with 3M lead tests, mostly around the interior rivets, but also the walls, and no lead was evidenced. I have thrown out all the test swabs.

For those of you who are knowledgeable about tin-lined copper, I repeat my questions below. If you don’t know, then please don’t respond with jokes about cheap copper cookware.

Rivets: how many rivets on the handle do real Baumalu have: Some of my pieces have 2 rivets; others 3. I can discern no other difference at the join.

Stamp or Marque: on real Baumalu, is the marque on the left or the right of the handle, looking at it from the side with the top up?

Did Baumalu ever sell off unmarqued pieces which did not meet quality standards? If so, how would one know?

I can only admit I was wrong 6 years ago.

But I have an explanation, which I hope you’ll accept as an apology. It goes as follows: Six years ago, I had only seen Baumalu pieces in the discount stores (Tuesday Mornings, TJ Max, etc.). All were very thin, i.e., a nominal 1-1.5mm thick. Personally, I feel this thickness, called “table service”, is a complete waste of money. Moreover, all the linings were suspect; they gave every indication of being electroplated. Tin linings cannot be plated on at all thick, i.e., 0.02mm vs. up to 2mm for hand-wiped. As such, a plated lining will likely wear through within a short period of time. So, thin pan + gossamer lining clearly equates to a pan not worth of emulation, much less counterfeiting.

Fast forward a few years. I have it on good authority that Baumalu made (makes?) pans that would be called “fort” (think between 2mm and 3mm). And I myself actually contacted Baumalu over the suspect linings. What they told me did not especially inspire confidence, but it was plausible: they admitted that they machine wipe on their linings and that accounts for the appearance of plated (very shiny and uniform). I have never actually tested the linings’ thickness.

So, today… If you have Baumalu pieces of 2mm or thicker, you have good, serviceable pans. Under that thickness, less so.

I have never seen (or even heard) of Baumalu pans in “extra fort” thickness (say 2.8mm and above). If they exist, and if you have such pans, they’re very good.

The counterfeit pans that bring the most money are usually different brands.

Peace.

I don’t think that is what he was saying at all.

Let me disclose the fact that I work in the fashion industry (apparel and handbags) where counterfeiting is a big issue. Anyone with scissors, a sewing machine and sewing knowledge could make a decent counterfeit of a “good” leather handbag out of bonded leather, vinyl, or even lesser quality hides for a fraction of what it retails for. Because it’s relatively easy to do, it can be worth it for those who make this their business. In other words, they don’t need a lot of specialized–or expensive–equipment.
Manufacturing copper pans does require specialized equipment. Expensive equipment not abundantly available like sewing machines. Unless someone has access to such equipment and materials, it’s not financially viable to start making fake copper pots to sell to TJ Maxx.

Retailers such as TJ Maxx deal directly with wholesalers and manufacturers. The company I currently work for sells overstock and cancelled orders to TJ and Nordstrom Rack at a discount. We occasionally make limited runs for them to use up excess materials. Many Cookware companies do the same–including Le Creuset, Staub, KitchenAid. You may find second quality items at TJ, but they are not counterfeits.

I realize that this doesn’t answer your Baumalu question directly, but I would guess that your chances of getting an counterfeit anything at TJ Maxx are slim to none.

I’ve seen > 1000 Baumalu pans for sale on eBay over the last 15 years and I’ve handled >25 in stores. I’ve not seen any examples above 2.0 mm, and the tin lining appears too thin to be durable.

Based on this experience, I’ve concluded their main (if not only) line of copper cookware for export to the US is below the 50th percentile of commercially produced solid copper cookware, along the lines of but perhaps very slightly better than Revere Ware, Tagus, Copral, and Old Dutch.

If you’re a fan of Baumalu copper in the thinner range like these lines please continue to be happy cooking with them.

If you wish to compare them to a similar shape pan made of thick copper, the fact you have a computer and monthly internet service suggests you might be able to afford a thick vintage pan on the secondary market, my preferred method of acquisition as retail prices are in my view exorbitant.

1 Like