Getting into copper

Yes, I think so (maybe 2.6 & 3.4 liters?)
My new place has a nice gas range, so I’m looking forward to trying this stuff out with some decent recipes!

Congrats on your new pans, you are going to love them!.The control you get using copper will surprise you and also make you smile.The large pan will come in handy if you ever make Chicken Marcella. Lots of room! As for the thinner copper it still works great.The only problem that you will have with copper is that now you will become addicted. The pic below illustrates that problem,or at least with me. I used the same cookware for 35 years and it was time to upgrade but I am glad that I did.

2 Likes

Doesn’t copper work well on all but induction ranges?

I don’t believe it works on induction but it is great on everything else. The best conductor outside of silver. I only use copper and cast iron now.

Copper with tin? What thickness? What range do you have? I’ll likely be buying a house next year and am looking forward to creating a kitchen from heaven in the coming years. It might be easier to build from scratch as most kitchens are never given adequate space and living rooms are far too spacious for the amount of time I spend there. I think we’ll go with a primary gas and side induction…then work on building on my brick oven in the backyard for bread and pizzas. There isn’t enough time in the day to eat all the food after cooking!

1 Like

Wow, congratulations. Nice haul. Looks like you got the discontinued Mauviel 250 with the SS handles. These are great–stay cooler than the bronze or iron.

I recommend you test the Baumalu linings for lead. Unfortunately, there are counterfeit Baumalu that make their way into discount stores which have lead-laced linings. Genuine Baumalu are fine, but test them.

As to what to make in your sautes, the world is your oyster! Since you got covers, you might try a Chicken Cacciatore to see how evenly all the pieces brown, the mirrepoix sweats, and the gravy thickens, and how fast things start and stop. And/or saute as many meatballs or (uncrowded) mushrooms to gauge how much more even the results and how much lower heat you need.

Just go easy with preheating until you learn to gauge that, and be thinking about picking the proper size pan for your portion/batch.

I’m excited for you. Enjoy!

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

Might as well start with the tap water first.

I love tin lining. It’s responsive and if you take care of it last a life time.I use a gas range and my copper cookware is anywhere from 1.8 to 4mm thick. Shoot for 2.5mm or above depending on your budget. keep an eye out on ebay and esty and you can still find good deals if you are patience. Of all the copper that I have it was still cheaper than buying a set of All clad. Sounds like you got a good plan for your kitchen. Our home is older and not much room to improve so must do with what we have. It works for us but when I win the lottery then look out,

I saw a rather interesting copper pan for Japanese style omelette (Tamagoyaki). I almost bought it, but then I reminded myself that I don’t make Tamagoyaki.

2 Likes

I can’t spell or pronounce it so that leaves me out!

I’ve had my eye on tin, but I was under the impression it had to be re-tinned after a decade or two even with great care. Am I wrong? My patience varies by the day, but my eyes are now firmly fixated on scrounging. Apologies for the increased competition!

Not the biggest fan of hard angles and edges in my pans. I prefer to have fun and enjoy watching the travel path of my omelette prior to firming.

Ohh, well that would explain why water in my copper pot won’t come to a boil.

“Doesn’t copper work well on all but induction ranges?”

Yes and no.

The copper cookware itself is wonderfully responsive to heat changes, but then can only be as responsive as the type of range you’re cooking on. Gas ranges are immediately responsive, changing heat output instantaneously with the slightest movement of the knob. Smooth-top ranges are woefully slow to respond to heat changes. If their tops are cool, they have to warm before they can start heating your cookware. And if they’re hot, they have to cool before your cookware can begin cooling. Gas is the exotic sports car of heat input, while smooth-top is the ocean-liner. Cal-rod electrics are somewhere in-between. And I’ve not cooked on halogens, so I don’t know where they fall in the hierarchy.

And then there’s Kaleo’s wood stove … :wink:

Yep. I think it is just different approaches of making different styles of egg omelette

Hmmm, interesting. Are there lead “home test” kits? These both came with Baumalu tags, and sport the oval Baumalu stamp to the right of the handle. By contrast, the thinner fry pan I picked up a few years ago came with no tag and has absolutely no markings.

Congratulations on your new purchases!

You can buy home lead test kits at Home Depot (and the like). Some are instant read, others you have to mail in. Amazon of course has everything. Speaking of purchases, the Falk warehouse clearance event ends Monday. Although I have a lot of tin-lined, I also appreciate the stainless lined for applications where I begin to skirt the upper temp limit (gratins, etc).

I was going to echo the theme of chicken braises (Hazan’s chicken with lemon, for example). You can do a ragu to experience the wonderful simmer you can get with the saute.

@chem – I came to the same conclusion about the tamagoyaki pan. Unless you make the Japanese sweet rolled omelettes or do a lot of makisushi, it is a bit of a unitasker.

1 Like

Thanks gearguy! Wow, you’ve got a lot of copper in that photo! Do you use anything else? (cast iron, tri-ply)
I’m thinking my All Clad pans will still be useful for hi-temp uses that might damage the copper’s tin lining.

After four meals (two breakfasts & two dinners), I think my best initial description of copper’s difference is that the cooking seems more “gentle” to the food than in my other pans. I’m sure that’s part of the “control” you mention!

So, besides the rondeau, what pieces are you still going to get? :slight_smile:

Thanks Kaleo! The haul isn’t finished yet! (I’m blaming you, just so you know.)

Yes the SS handle on these pans stay amazingly cooler compared to the cast iron handle of the unmarked 1.7mm pan I’ve been using! I’ve always had to use a towel to grab that CI handle, but the Mauviel’s SS handle only ever got a little warm. The same amazing result on the smaller Baumalu saute, with its high-arcing CI handle - it never got too warm to handle w/o protection.

The past two nights I’ve used the smaller saute to make my dinner. The ingredients were the same both nights (beef tenderloin, onion, carrot, potato, red bell pepper, portabella, tomato, garlic), but I prepared them differently. I enjoyed the second version (tonight’s) better, & wished I hadn’t run out of the 2011 Nebbiolo so soon! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all of thought-provoking pro-copper knowledge you’ve shared over the years! :thumbsup:

`[quote=“Eiron, post:20, topic:4514”]
copper’s difference is that the cooking seems more “gentle” to the food
[/quote]

Yup. Now try super delicate sauces. You’ll be amazed that it will be more difficult to burn/scorch delicate sauces in there. And congrats, your pans look beautiful. I hope you get a lot of great use out of them!

1 Like