Barbecue 2022

Couldn’t decide where to stick this

2 Likes
3 Likes

I made a bourbon sauce. It was okay. Commercial sauces are much better than mine.

1 Like

4 Likes

Wow. That’s a mega burrito!

1 Like

LOl :joy:

I tend to agree, but I love the meat when pork shoulder is kept at a constant 225 and am usually too lazy to bother changing the temp (and I use an electric smoker so that’s really lazy - it’s literally the push of a button). What temp (or series of temps) do you recommend for great bark on pork shoulder?

1 Like

There sure are a lot of options for BBQ sauces. I do the “Ray’s” thing but usually need to add a strong splash of vinegar. I also add Old Bay hot sauce; but , I agree, I don’t want it sweating up my forehead. Just enough for that back of the mouth feel.

1 Like

blondanomina, I cook over direct heat – charcoal with hickory chunks off to the side – and that automatically helps the bark a lot – but I think an average of 250-275 is ideal. Actually, I really think the fluctuations help, but that’s based on experience rather than reason.

1 Like

DaBadger, I never use any sauce until serving – just salt, pepper, fire and smoke – and then I use Ollie’s, which is available by mail or in stores in Alabama. For a commercial sauce, adding 3 or 4 parts vinegar, and black pepper and some red pepper to taste. For ribs, you can’t beat Dreamland, also available by mail, and also added after cooking. I’ve a blog post on the best sauces.

1 Like
1 Like

Does anyone have any bear recipes?

1 Like

Smoking beef short ribs and St. Louis-cut pork ribs today, over pecan. Started the process at 240 and will give it a couple of hours before turning down to 225. The beef ribs got a head start but may have to come inside to finish at a higher temp in the oven if I want everything to be done at the same time.

5 Likes

Oh, I’d never put sauce on real BBQ. Brisket don’t need no help 'cept salt n pepper. When I have leftover chicken off the bone, I’ll shred it up, make a mixture of whatever store bought with: chinese mustard, vinegar, hot sauce and some sesame oil. I’ll take the leftover (shredded) chicken, put in pan, add BBQ sauce and water, and let the mess reduce together until it’s almost dry.

I do sauce my BBQ ribs, though. Tradition.

Both beef and pork ribs came out fantastic- excellent bark thanks to the higher temps at the outset. The beef took about 7 hours, pork 5.5 or so. No sauce required.

10 Likes

Dem’s some fine lookin’ ribs. I like one coat of sauce at the end. Sticky. Just me.

I was speaking of pork, which likes something sharp to cut the richness - vinegar, mustard, sour orange, etc. That’s what I cook. Fat end brisket shouldn’t need or rally welcome sauce — just a touch of pickle or jalapeño or onion. The lean does dry out in many places

Being a KC native, I don’t use sauce to mask dryness but to add another flavor in the mix.
Besides you have to have sauce for the fries :fries:

2 Likes

True that

1 Like
2 Likes