Barbecue 2022

OMG! I am not worthy.

1 Like

I’m curious if anyone else on HO uses the Slow and Sear insert for weber grills for smoking. I bought it a number of years ago but have only used it a dozen times. It does great with a pork butt because the cook is so long. 10 hrs? However, I have the hardest time doing a hot smoked salmon because its very hard to keep the temp steady (you use the bottom and top vents and continuously adjust) and with just 1 hr of cook time, it seems like I can’t get enough smoke flavor in before the fish is done. Getting the temp lower is much harder than getting it higher. It almost always is only low enough (225) when the coals start to run out. Until then, it seems to really want to be at 275-300. Anyway curious if anyone else has used one, and what your experiences were.

An American Easter :rabbit2:

3 Likes

Owww. I made regular smoked meatloaf once and it was a failure…not due to the smoke but rather to my lousy meatloaf skills. I want to try the pork meatloaf.

All the brisket talk lit a fire (figuratively) under me. So I picked up a flat and hope to cook it soon.

1 Like

Oh! My!

1 Like

Now this is pretty comical.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

We been duped! Well, I’m way behind on the Tx bbq scene as I’ve mentioned, never tasted Franklin’s and most of the other newer ones. I think the only pitmaster I’ve seen quoted was Edgar Black of Black’s in Lockhart who claimed it was only s&p and post oak smoke. I always knew Kreutz’ had something in the shaker that was reddish/orange - I assumed cayenne.

The first time we ever had Lawry’s in my family, we traveled to Whittier in 1951 to visit my mother’s Dad and they introduced us to it and showed us the restaurant (we didn’t eat there). Brought a shaker home since my mother wasn’t sure she’d ever seen it on the grocery store shelves here.

2 Likes

I figured a lot of places were using something beyond salt & pepper, but I wouldn’t have guessed Lawry’s. Lawry’s is always in my kitchen cabinet. I use it often on burgers and steaks, but I’ve never even tried it with bbq.

3 Likes

First time I had Lawry’s was probably late 1960’s or early 70’s. My family would occasionally eat at Sizzlin Sirloin or maybe it was called Sirloin Stockade, an inexpensive chain steak restaurant anyway. It was on the tables there.

1 Like

Delete

I always felt we were someplace special as a kid when an establishment had Lawry’s Seasoned Salt and Pepper with a bottle of Tabasco already on the table as we were seated.
I still do, I suppose.
:slight_smile:

6 Likes

I like Lawry’s but prefer Fiesta Steak Seasoning. BTW, I live in Austin and love Franklin, but Valentina’s, LA BBQ, Snow’s, and a few others are right up there. The butter beans at Opie’s are amazing.

Anyone who has never smoked a brisket needs to buy Aaron’s book and follow it. The two things most people mess up are getting good post oak and extremely high quality beef, properly trimmed.

5 Likes

I have Franklin’s book in soft copy. It is filled with many tips and fundamentals. Of course there are many other variables impacting the results but the basics - right down to how to wrap - are so important.

I say that like I know what I am doing. Haha. I have a brisket in the refrigerator and plan to do it in the next few days…in the snow. :sob:

2 Likes

Lawry’s is also good on fries.

2 Likes

Lawrys is also good in snickerdoodle cookies.

Just a pinch. But that pinch goes a long way.

3 Likes

Probably could use it on mango or melon, like a trashier Tajin / Li Hing Mui powder.

1 Like

I object!
Lawry’s isn’t trashy.
I love all seasoned salts. And peppers.
This has more to do with the Texas que’s supposed superiority and their oak, salt, and pepper holy Trinity only schtick.

4 Likes

I typically use Meat Church for brisket but ordered some Bearded Butcher to try.
The Egg’s gasket needs replaced before cooking the brisket but it’s so darned cold out. I think I will start the cook tonight anyway.

5 Likes

Agree, Lawry’s ain’t trashy - try the version that’s pepper heavy, if you can find it. Living where I do, Johnny’s is big. Note to self to use Lawry’s in an upcoming rub. Usually use Penzey’s 4S salt.

4 Likes
2 Likes