Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

Can only say yum!! :yum:

Coconut-pecan cake from the NY Times. This sure was a lot of work–not recommended for a novice baker. The recipe assumes that you know how to toast coconut, make a crumb coating for frosting, etc. The parts I tasted are quite nice; I did have a couple of hiccups, though:

• I hadn’t realized there’s a different between cream of coconut and coconut cream; the recipe calls for the former and I bought the latter. I was wondering why the coconut flavor in the filling wasn’t as strong as I’d expected. It does mean things are less sweet, which isn’t bad.

• We had a can of sweetened condensed milk for a long time (like a couple of years at least), but since it wasn’t past the expiration date I thought it’d be fine. Well, it had turned into dulce de leche and I had no time to buy another can, but it wasn’t rancid or spoiled so I used it. However, it made the filling thicker and thus less spreadable (yes, I should have thinned it out with milk…oh well).

10 Likes

@StephanieL

Problem solving is a gift. And, obviously, you got it.

1 Like

Thank you! The coconut cream/cream of coconut thing, I didn’t realize until my wife pointed it out after I’d finished baking.
I also need to give credit where credit is very due: this is the creation of James Beard Award winner Dolester Miles, of the Highlands Bar & Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.

1 Like

Perfect!. I’m going to try that with these cherries.

My neighbour organised a garden party, and requested I brought a tart, I decided to make a raspberry. She ordered 2 more strawberries tarts from a caterer, as we were 20+ attending. Got some nice compliments as many people thought the raspberry tart was made by a professional as well.

16 Likes

Very nice presentation too.

2 Likes

Those tarts! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Truly stunning @naf! May I ask what kind of leaves on both tarts? Also I like the light hand used with the confectioner’s sugar on the first one.

On the second, the garnish of tiny red currants, whole strawberry, and few raspberries, is especially nice for interest/contrast. I’m able to find red currants in a specialty green market here, but their availability is brief…how about in France?

Thanks!! For the raspberry tart, I’ve put some basil Marseillais (Ocimum basilicum), they are much smaller in leaf size and usually used to make pesto. As for the second tart made by the caterer, there were no leaves, the yellowish leaves you saw were physalis.

I think it depends on the varieties, the early variety you can see in market around mid June, while the tardive ones in July and August. They are available the whole summer sometimes until October.

Lucky you, re the currants!

Recipe please?? @gracieggg

This recipe is on the Serious Eats website. I just found it!
Recipe please??

Made these loaves this morning from an old Bernard Clayton book. Was not expecting such huge loaves!

5 Likes

I usually use this one for my sandwich bread (except my food processor died so haven’t made it in quite a while). I had subbed in coconut oil for the butter and honey for the sugar. Tasty!

2 Likes

Another fruit dessert. Pear sauce. Easy as all get out and great alone or with just about everything.

4 pears made this batch. Blender does the work.

5 Likes

Pear sauce?! Looks yummy! It is just blended and raw, or blended and cooked? Inquiring minds want to know! :grin: :yum:

1 Like

Super easy…wash, dice, poach 5 mins In a small amt of water, blender. Bottle, chill, enjoy.

Peanut butter cookies; small batch. Made the dough yesterday and baked today while a subtle breeze came thru the window on this nearly 90 degree day.

8 Likes

I added a touch of cinnamon, hemp seeds, rolled oats and wheatgerm to the dough. Then we sandwiched them with choc pb ice cream.

It was the Day of the Foccacia. Half sea salt, half Everything Bagel seasoning. We couldn’t choose a favorite side. Foccacia was a riff on Marcella Hazan’s Classic recipe.

12 Likes