Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

The Mercer was the top rated bread knife by Americas Test Kitchen. I didn’t buy one yet but I’m going to when I get around to it.

Yep. And the price is right.

Their litte paring knives are wicked sharp too.

Here you go at @Saregama - the Polish Italian style bread, which was in the center, and the whey ciabatta, written specifically for whey.

Notes on the Polish: I replace all the liquid with whey, and up the sugar a bit. I only add about 1/4 tsp of yeast to the whey; into the fridge for 2-4 days. Remove early in the day for an afternoon bake, or depending on how warm house is. Let double, shape, double again and proceed. I use regular A/P in this one.

Notes on the Ciabatta: I use light rye for the strong flour called for, and reduce the sugar, to 1 T with 1/2 tsp yeast. If you want quicker bakes, use more yeast.

Good luck, and any questions, just let me know if any questions.

@Lambchop, Are you using powdered whey with the warmed water or liquid whey you are repurposing with additional warm water?

@Rooster, it’s liquid whey from yogurt making, and I’ve been using it straight, to use more of it. Seems to work pretty well for the breads I posted, but am still playing around with it. I left it at room temp for a couple days this time, after straining the yogurt, and it was really alive, like kombucha.

1 Like

Outstanding. Food for thought (my) future bread baking.

I wanted to have my sourdough started ready for a loaf of bread this weekend, so I feed it everyday. That meant a lot of discard. Used a cup of discarded started for King Arthur’s cinnamon rolls. I made this once before so I knew they worked. So good, and rich, but the dough is a bit tangy and light/fluffy. I much prefer this kind of roll to one made with puff/pastry. Frosted with powdered sugar, milk, sour cream, vanilla, melted butter, and a pinch of salt. Recipe makes 12 but my cutting resulted in 8! Delivered 2 to to the in-laws and froze the 4.

And, I bake doff the sourdough loaf last night. In my haste not to get burned by the hot pot when dumping the dough in, I forgot to slash the top. Still, it made it’s own mini split. Have not cut into it yet, but it got good rise and a really nice crust so I have high hopes.

14 Likes

Now THAT’S a good lookin’ loaf of bread! I love how brown it is. Too many of us pull the bread out before it reaches peak doneness!

2 Likes

Thanks! I try to remember from my bread baking class (where I also got the starter) that color is flavor.

1 Like

Looks wonderful. I’m at the point where I need to be careful not to injure my mouth on bread that’s too crusty but I sure do enjoy a crusty loaf.

2 Likes

Apricot-peach crumble. Vanilla ice cream is in the machine whirling.

8 Likes

Made some yums just now. It’s a riff on a cinnamon roll. The dough is challah dough. The filling is a paste of semi-dehydrated nectarines, butter, cinnamon, and sugar. A little vanilla maple icing on top. Not too shabby :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Not too shabby at all! Can you say more about “semi-dehydrated nectarines”?

How did I miss this? I bet it’s finished. :slightly_frowning_face:

Family enjoyed with vanilla ice cream.

1 Like

I have to start with a confession. I’m a seasonal eater, so when there is something like stone fruit, which I love and which has a short season, I have a hard time not buying (or u-picking) obscene amounts of it, that I then have to “deal” with. 40-70 lbs not unusual. I’m sure there is help somewhere that I haven’t availed myself of. Anyway, I took a bunch of these nectarines a few years ago and pitted and sliced them into rings. Then dehydrated them in the oven for a period of time. I didn’t want to burn them or make them crispy, so I took them out when they were still sort of flexible and chewy. If I had to say, they had lost maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of their moisture content. Then I threw them into a freezer bag where they have been for the past 3 yrs or so, while I figure out what to do with them. For this recipe, I tossed them all into a Cuisinart with a stick of softened butter and a bunch of cinnamon sugar, creating a sort of compound butter than I spread on my rectangle of dough before rolling.

8 Likes

@Sasha
Brilliant.

1 Like

Great inspiration. I’ve never tried challah dough for any thing other than a loaf. Great to know you can and get really nice results.

I’ve used it in one other way too, which is to make Chinese red bean paste buns. Both the original doughs (cinnamon roll dough and bean bun dough) I think are more time consuming, so I went with challah. It was like lazy baking. I wouldn’t sell it too hard though, because I probably preferred both dishes with the doughs that are meant for them. But in a pinch…!

1 Like

Quarantine cooking for me has been making an effort to use up items that I’ve over ordered or just forgotten. This time I had 2 pkg of goat cheese and several bunches of scallions.
Scallion and goat cheese muffins! Delicious to go with our 4th of July luncheon with sister and brother in law.

10 Likes