Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

Pretzels; completely carefree shaping with salt. No egg wash or butter. Enjoying with GreyP mustard.

8 Likes

Oh those look gorgeous!

Did you do a lye dip or baking soda dip? And did you us AP flour? I was gifted 25# of AP flour, and I’m trying to find recipes to use it up!

I used 2/3 cup baking soda in 10 cups of boiling water. I did use AP flour enriched with vital gluten since I was out of bread flour. I used the recipe @gcaggiano recommended as a guide. But I prefer to finish with pretzel salt only. I highly recommend weighing the flour. Too much flour will toughen the dough making shaping much harder.

2 Likes

The other recommendation is only boil and bake what you plan to enjoy immediately. These pretzels will get gummy if left out room temp. Better to shape and freeze and leave the boil and bake for when you enjoy them. They taste great right out of the oven.

2 Likes

Bread / pizza dough after overnight proof.

Into fridge for a multi-day rest, or until I lose patience, or we want pizza.

6 Likes

Repeat of the GF sandwich loaf that was a hit with the GF kid critics last time.

Made the full recipe to fill the loaf tin, because there is really no “oven spring” in these loaves, really more likely deflation.

Looks good on the outside… fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Sliced and ready…

9 Likes

Looks really tasty! Sliced thin beautifully.

Thank you!

(I had to order the (cheapie) knife I like here, because all the fancy knives here were mangling the loaves…)

1 Like

Bread baking projects, to use whey from yogurt making. 2 recipes adapted for whey, one written for incorporation of same, with minor modifications. Kid #2 & SIL will get some of all, to take home after Dad’s Day dinner.

10 Likes

Wowza!

Such gorgeous loaves!

Would you be willing to share a recipe for the one in the center and the rolls, if it’s not the same dough?

Respect for your skills from a bumbling novice :joy:

Those looks so good…I might risk an elevated blood sugar for that. :confused:

1 Like

You are too kind @Saregama! While I’ve been an avid baker throughout my cooking life, I haven’t been much of a bread baker. I would stick to fairly basic things, but never really experimented with long, slow ferments in the fridge, and things of the sort. In fact, I know little of the terminology.

The baking has resulted from the glut of whey I’ve had, and from the QT also. TBH, the results have been mixed, but the experiments will continue. I will happily share the recipe(s) with you. Think you mentioned the uncut loaves in the middle, especially. Those, and the buns are from the same recipe, which I’ve modified for the whey. I’ll post the original recipe a bit later today or tomorrow morning, along with my adjustments for the whey. As well, I’ll include the recipe for the Ciabatta, which, while not traditional, is still pretty tasty, and holds up well for sandwiches.

2 Likes

Well thanks @shrinkrap! We should talk about the days we could eat with carefree abandon, over in the nostalgia thread lol :joy_cat: Not as much fun anymore. :cry:

1 Like

Caramel custard aka creme caramel aka flan for Father’s Day. My dad’s hands-down all-time favorite dessert.

I tweaked my moms recipe only slightly, to use up a bit of cream.

Of course, my dad is far away and has caramel custard that he can actually eat :joy: This one will be consumed by sibling who also loves the dish.

There’s bubbling, it’s not visually perfect, but that’s how mom’s is too (usually the last thing to into her pressure cooker when there’s “empty” space and no one cares and devours it anyway (except me - I got totally sick of its almost-weekly appearance :rofl:)

2 Likes

Wondering if you’d mind spilling your cheapie bread knife with us? None of mine are doing an adequate job on the homemade loaves. TIA!

BTW, I share your Dad’s passion for Creme Brûlée, but don’t make it or eat it very often. It’s right up there in the ranking!

Forgot the pic

6 Likes

Looks delicious @Saregama; I’d just posted a pic of my kitchen torch on a different thread, so I had Creme Brûlée on the brain. Love them both!

Sure! It’s Mercer culinary - I’ve bought this one, this one, and this one variously to give as gifts and for myself, and they’re all great despite price differentials.

There are longer blades too.

Thanks!