Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

So, these are being made in celebration, @shrinkrap? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

:zipper_mouth_face:

Double batch.Added a little extra oats, and some almonds to the top layer. Into the oven for 45 minutes…

2 Likes

And later…! I’m no Baker. Is it done? Its supposed to be “firm to the touch and golden brown”. I’m pulling it.

A little crumbly. I hope they set up a bit more.

4 Likes

Forgot to share that I baked a chocolate ganache (layer) cake for little person’s middle school promotion/graduation celebration.

Our favorite cake in nyc is the chocolate ganache cake at Whole Foods - sounds odd… unless you’ve had it!

So I tried to recreate it, and to my taste it turned out better than the inspiration, because the cake portion was better - moist and delicious.

I think the recipient enjoyed it too, because the leftover half cake didn’t last the weekend :joy:

Had to improvise on cake tins and other things. Also, a bit of a leaning tower situation because other little person was “helping” and there was a sliding center ganache situation.

But, all good in the end!

Working on my birthday cake now - a Swiss roll filled with jam, my favorite childhood dessert. My mom isn’t much of a baker, but this was one of her specialties. I haven’t had a homemade version in a long time.

10 Likes

That’s wonderful, that that was more important .

2 Likes

Birthday mans request: Maida Heatter’s apricot pie. So good but takes a lot 26! Apricots.

DE912DC3-B996-49EC-841E-BA7F1728B4D9

17 Likes

Beautiful Roll cake!

1 Like

This looks good, indeed the birthday man made his request wisely. Happy b day to him!

2 Likes

Made naan for the first time. Was easier than expected. The first test one was way too think (I blame the directions which said to roll out about 6 inches and 1/4 inch thick. Way too small and thick. All good when rolled larger and thinner. ). Brushed with butter while cooking, finished with a sprinkle of salt and cilantro.

11 Likes

Happy Birthday @Saregama, the roll cake looks delicious - hope you enjoy your day and cake fully! ETA: chocolate b-day cake looks great too, and will surely provide a great memory for the youngster.

1 Like

Wonderful looking @Elsieb -apricots are such a fleeting pleasure, and tend to get bashed up pretty easily at the market.

1 Like

Good job on the naan; I’ve yet to make any, and that must change, @aussieshepsx2.

1 Like

Finished Swiss roll, with a rough-cut doily / powdered sugar top.

12 Likes

Happy birthday @Saregama :birthday::confetti_ball: I like Swiss roll, ate a lot when I was a kid. I never made myself a birthday cake, I should!!

2 Likes

Happy Birthday @Saregama! Enjoy every last morsel of that beautiful cake.

1 Like

Best Birthday wishes!

1 Like

Happy birthday @Saregama!

1 Like

Happy birthday! Beautiful cake. I wish you many more of both in the future!!!

1 Like

Thank you for the birthday wishes, everyone :smiley:

I’m going to eat my slice of cake with some potato chips for a sweet-salty soft-crunchy contrast now!

7 Likes