Bacon, lettuce and tomato....salad

I had planned on making this for dinner, thinking I could satisfy my BLT itch without the carbs, but so far all the recipes I found include bread for croutons. I DID buy some bread, but it got moldy, while I obsessed.

So I’m putting it off a day, a stashing some recipes and hopefully advice here. Has anyone made this?

Some of my favorite sounding recipes.
This first one has tomato in the dressing

This is one if a few with avacado;

This one is tomatoes with bacon dressing; no bread and no lettuce.

This one by Tasty also has no bread

Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, And Avocado Salad

featured in 6 Delicious Avocado Recipes

1 Like

We’ve turned BLT into a salad gobs of times. It’s really nice with some hard boiled eggs and/or blue cheese. But if you don’t want it with bread or croutons, what about making some parmesan crisps ie frico and then sort of crumbling them throughout?

3 Likes

Perfect!

Might try it myself next time! Funny, we will usually do croutons or sliced bread on the side of a dinner salad, and I think to myself that this is a healthy meal!

It can be. No need for most people to get crazy.

1 Like

I love a BLT salad, with or without avocado. No need for croutons. Blue cheese or ranch dressing. Or @roxlet 's green goddess. Chives on top. Mmmm.

2 Likes

I use the large outside leaves of romaine lettuce as a wrap instead of bread. Sometimes I just want to pick up my food with my hands and people look at me funny when I try that with a salad.

2 Likes

Also try this one called “salade Lyonnaise”. A common salad on most restaurant menus in Lyon. Replace frisée with lettuce.

I make mine with tomatoes and any leafy greens, no bread in the salad itself, however. Crispy long slices of streaky pork belly called (breakfast) Speck and poached or SV eggs.

Pictures of the bacon/Speck

2 Likes

I make BLT salads frequently (usually also including avocado, blue cheese, HB eggs or a combination of all three). For me the key is the dressing - I like to puree roasted cherry tomatoes with mayonnaise (add a touch of vinegar as needed, lots of salt and pepper and whatever herbs you like) for this particular application. It just makes it taste more like a BLT to me.

Also, if you REALLY need to scratch the bread itch and a salad isn’t cutting the mustard, I occasionally make BLTs as wrap sandwiches on low carb tortillas. Not sure how those work for you blood-sugar wise but I enjoy them as an occasional indulgence.

2 Likes

Thick, long slices of zucchini lightly dry toasted in a pan are a delicious bread sub for BLTs.

Cut into small bites, easy to handle. Nice appetizer too.

3 Likes

I love that idea! I’ve also used grilled cabbage leaves.

2 Likes

i sub a mix of baby kale and bay arugula for lettuce in blts. when i want to ditch carbs, i make a omelet.

1 Like

Voilà

5 Likes

This thread has got me thinking - thanks @shrinkrap for starting it!

I don’t like raw tomatoes at all - I think it’s a taste receptor and texture issue both. Love cooked tomatoes all ways, even juice, but they must be in small pieces or puréed, due to the texture aversion.

Anyway, I’ve always realized that I’ve been missing out on a classic and beloved sandwich/salad my entire life. So…I’ve been thinking of some subs, and here’s what I’ve come up with for sandwiches: roasted eggplant, sun dried tomato, bacon, lettuce, and perhaps avocado. Going to try it also with sliced plums and/or nectarines, as well as watermelon and cantaloupe. Would def leave the avocado off the melon versions. Will try same for salads, maybe swapping in feta or goat cheeses, a few nuts, and etc. Really excited to try these ideas! I might even skip the fruit, and make a real tomatoey type dressing too. For caprese salads, sun dried tomatoes, or fruit. I can eat bruschetta, pan con de tomate, pico de gallo, and the like, if tomatoes are small enough and not too plentiful. I’ll let you know of any great results.

Ok, now I’m going to give you the pepper relish/jam recipe I promised. I make this year around, usually when peppers and chiles are on sale. The fam loves it, is quite possessive about it, and watch me carefully so I don’t give too much product away, and short them. :upside_down_face:

Hot Pepper Jam

2 green bell peppers
2 red bell peppers
5 very large jalapeño chiles
3 Serrano chiles
2 Habanero chiles

Wash, seed and devein the bell peppers, cutting into large chunks
With gloves on, wash the hot chiles, removing only the large seed pods
Cut chiles in half, and put all peppers and chiles in a food processor. Pulse until they are in fairly small pieces, but don’t purée.

Measure, and have ready:

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 cups sugar
1 package Sure Gel Light Pectin (for less or no sugar jams and jellies)

Put all the pepper/chile mixture into a deep 8 quart pot
Stir 1/2 cup of the measured sugar into the pectin, and add to chiles, along with the cider and water
Bring this to a hard boil, add 1 teaspoon butter to reduce foam, and add the rest of the sugar

Bring to a full rolling boil, that you can’t stir down. Stir constantly for 1 minute, and turn heat off.

Ladle into sterilized jars (you’ll need about 7-8 half pints) I sterilize them in the DW

Wipe the top of the jars with a clean cloth, top with the sterilized rings and lids, twisting the rings on tightly.

Turn upside down on a dry cloth for 5 minutes. Put right side up, and wait to hear the seals pop. Success! If you feel more comfortable you can put them in a water bath and skip the upside down step.

• I adapted this recipe from the Sure Jell Light Instructions

I use whatever bell pepper colors I find, and that may be on sale. It always turns out well, regardless. If you’re not fond of heat, you may want to dial back on the chiles, especially the Serrano and Habaneros.

Enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions.

2 Likes

Thank you SO much!

I am not a huge fan of raw tomatoes either, which is crazy since I grow so many, but I do enjoy them in a BLT, and I like gazpacho, especially for breakfast.

I really like to have a lot for cooking, so I grow a lot of “pouns” and “heaets”, and grow a lot if peppers along side. Sometimes I make a tomato jam or jelly. Any thoughts on that? Maybe you mentioned it.

so I grow a lot of “pouns” and “heaets”, and grow a lot if peppers along side.

…means “so I grow a lot of “plums ” and “hearts ”, and grow a lot of peppers along side.”

My salad approach is to make a bowl from iceberg lettuce into which goes a salad of slivered lettuce, bacon, tomatoes and if available avocado and hard-cooked egg. I just use a vinaigrette (2:1 oil to vinegar).

1 Like

@shrinkrap, I can easily and happily eat gazpacho, for which I’m thankful. Must be because I purée mine and love the other flavors. Will have to make some this year when our tomatoes ripen.

I’ve made tomato chutney before, but I wasn’t crazy about it. I do love sun dried tomato pesto, which I usually freeze rather than can, but I’d be interested in a shelf stable version too. There’s a tomato chutney recipe on another food forum that people rave about, so I’ll see if I can find that recipe. I’ve also got a lot of books I can refer to for shelf stable ideas. Will post with some ideas soon.

1 Like

I had a bacon and nectarine sandwich on lightly toasted sourdough for lunch today. Mayo, and a drizzle of balsamic over the fruit. Left the lettuce off because I thought it may make it too challenging to eat. The fruit was pretty slippery, but I enjoyed the sandwich. Think it would be good also with fresh mozzarella and basil.

1 Like

That sounds excellent!

We had another salad yesterday, WITH croutons sauted in bacon fat, declared it healthy, and really enjoyed it.

5 Likes