Bacon grease

Who among us hasn’t kept a container at some point? I certainly did, albeit a small ramekin, covered, in the fridge. It was kind of like the bacon fat equivalent of a sourdough starter — fed occasionally, and basically immortal. Somewhere in the last few years, having blown through 3 refrigerators in very short order, my little receptacle disappeared. So what appears for purchase but this:

Despairing of replacing my former stash (I love bacon but alas it’s only an occasional treat) I purchased same. It’s very filtered and doesn’t have as strong a flavor as my home grown (I’m very picky about my bacon— dry cure only, and thick sliced) but it is, at the end of the day, bacon grease. I scrambled some eggs with it. Close to what I was hoping for. I’m thinking about making skillet corn bread. I’ll have to meditate …

11 Likes

I have a small bowl of bacon grease next to the stove, along with the butter jar. No refrigeration necessary :slight_smile:

1 Like

Behold the everlasting bacon grease jar. It had no beginning, there will be no end.

12 Likes

How are the Famous Dave’s pickles?
I’ve never seen those.

They are too hot for me, but the jar is so large I hate to throw them out.

3 Likes

The solution for running out of homemade bacon grease at home is to just to cook and eat more bacon

Because who doesn’t like more bacon?

4 Likes

I do!!! My cardiologist says, “no.”

2 Likes

And you say …

1 Like

Here’s what mine (plural) look like. I keep schmalz, bacon fat and duck fat in them, at room temperature.

3 Likes

Nice

I bake a sheet pan of bacon flat on the pan. A little over lap is okay if you don’t mind not having perfect individual rashers. Though I adore bacon, I can make a pound last at least 6 months. Lidded storage container, rear of fridge. The necessity of moving other contents to reach it helps my resolve. The grease is poured carefully into a jar, including using a rubber spatula to get every bit off the pan.

I have purchased jarred bacon grease from, IIRC, Vitacost.com. Not much flavor, though. THAT is in the brown bits!

3 Likes

Already take it …

I had a buch of those crocks in the day. They disappeared with (various ) movers

Yep.

Millions still around. The key is the gaskets, and some must be glued down. I think keeping light out is a good thing.

Yep. I have purchased a heap o’ gaskets over the years to keep my bail closure things functioning

Clever idea there. This would result to an ingredient with a lot of dish versatility.

2 Likes

Back in the day, most housewives kept cooking grease for re-use in an old coffee can or other tin. I keep mine in a stainless purpose-made pot from Amazon, about $11–bought if\t before I learned thatso much stuff is avbl from Temu at much lower prices. Apparently few people save grease today. Consumer Reports mag recently ran a stpory of hw to dispose of grease w/o once mentionng saving it. Further, the mag recommended 2 prodct thatare to be added to grease to make it solidy faster for speedy disposal. Re-using the grease was not even considered. What a waste. A spoonful in a skillet does wonders for scrambled eggs, etc.

3 Likes

I have the same. Been saving it since I can remember. Can’t waste the gold of fats.

If I’m making bacon, I usually do 3 pounds at a go using a square griddle pan. I’ll keep the grease from the first 2 pounds, giving it a mild strain while still very hot using sieve and cheesecloth. I also often keep the browned bits separately in another small container along with a couple of tablespoons of grease (I do the same separate-and-keep-parts when making ghee). This grease plus browned bits is tasty in scrambled eggs and omelets, but it does make for a less appealing visual.

Then I let the grease from the 3rd pound solidify and toss, as its usually a bit too “cooked” tasting for me (and quite brown).

Weird. I thought everyone who cooked saved (good) greases. Any chance the CR article was talking about stuff like fat from browning hamburger? Just spitballing here.

I save too much, frankly. Bacon, duck (well, I can’t say I ever have “too much” of that), schmaltz, whole hard chunks of pork and beef fat for making sausages, plus rendered tallow and lard, and ghee. I think that’s all.

I did make turkey schmaltz (if that’s a thing) a couple of times but did not like it, so I gave that one up.

2 Likes