Bacon grease

What do you do with three pounds of cooked bacon?

Ever try it in the oven lightly brushed with maple syrup? Yum!

Ah et it!

Well, my family of 6 helps me eat it. Plus I like to have a bit left over.

I’ve baked it sometimes but haven’t gotten great results - part of the problem is the surface area requirements for 3 pounds (somewhere around 35-45 slices), but I’ve never tried baking it with a bit of maple.

I got so turned off the one time I bought “maple flavored sausage” (couldn’t get the lingering “mapley” smell out of the house for days) that I’ve been leery of using it outside of cookies and pancakes etc. But I’m sure that was more chemical soup than actual maple syrple in the sausage.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the trouble with the browned bits. They look awful in scrambled eggs, but I can always close my eyes … so good!

1 Like

I’d rather pour my own good maple syrup over the bacon or sausage, right on my plate. And I do …

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

This is one of my dislikes that I think I’m set in–I abhor having pancake syrup in contact my savory breakfast foods. I don’t mind maple bacon.

And I don’t much like maple bacon. :woman_shrugging:t3:. Oh well. There are solutions…

1 Like

I listen to old time radio. Back a while ago on one of the WWII era commercials, they talked about selling your bacon grease to your butcher. Why, I thought. Looked it up,and apparently the glycerin in it was extracted for use in munitions!

1 Like

Interesting! We have a semi-local old time radio station here… I used to like to listen to the dramas driving to work. Hated it when I couldn’t sit and listen to the end!

That’s what NPR calls “Driveway Moments”: when you’re listening to a story while driving in the car but you get home before the story ends, so you sit in the driveway with the car shut off but the radio on, listening to the rest of the story. BTDT!

3 Likes