Asian dishes - Malaysian

Are they your own videos? For the anchovies samba, I think it would be difficult to find dried anchovies here. Can anchovies in oil do the job?

Due to the lockdown, I cannot get in to our Chinatown for the foreseeable future but there’s a Thai food shop there that I think is likely to stock dried anchovies. Tinned ones in oil would be much easier though, if that would substitute - otherwise it’d be another Amazon search.

You can use the anchovies in oil, but make sure it is plain achovies without any source so that you can fry till crispy.

1 Like

Yeah tinned ones should be fine as long as you fry it till crispy::+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ingredients :

Marinate -
½ kg chicken drumettes
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
½ tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cornflour
½ tsp salt
½ cup oil for frying

Sauce -
4 tbsp oil
1 small ginger sliced
1 tsp garlic paste
1 onion chopped
2 stalks curry leaves
3/4 tsp chili powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1/4 glass water
1 tbsp honey
4 pcs red & green cili padi (seedless) sliced

You can find the video in https://youtu.be/7qB-3dWFxRc

Please give me feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Looks good, will test it out when I get the ingredients.

You said you are from KL, it seems your cooking style is leaning to modern / fusion. Do you like more traditional cooking? If yes, do you mind teaching us some traditional basics or traditional dishes of Malaysian cooking. We had Malaysian Cuisine of the Quarter a while back.

2 Likes

Thanks for appreciating the dish.:blush:

Malaysia has many varieties of food and there is no problem to what you want to eat. We have Malay, Chinese, Indian, Western, Thailand, Korean and many more. Malaysia is a heaven for food. Furthermore, we have 24hours restaurants and one can have food anytime. But since MCO, things are different now. Operating hours for restaurants are till 8.00 pm or 10.00 pm and mostly take-away only. We hope for the best to happen soon, where things will be back to normal. I missed dining and hanging out.

I am an Indian Malaysian and my food has a bit of fusion in it (Indian, Chinese and Malay). My idea is to have 99% of the traditional taste and all can afford to cook with the basic ingredients. I am also looking into cooking with the shortest time possible. Nowadays, people are very busy and want to get things done fast.

Please do let me know the traditional cooking that you are interested. Please name a few. I am happy to share my ideas.

My recipe on the Anchovies sambal is a Malay traditional food. This food is popularly available in any part of Malaysia and called “NASI LEMAK” served with coconut rice and Anchovies sambal.

ImageNL

Recipe for coconut rice

Ingredients:

1 part of rice

1 ½ part of coconut milk

½ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon oil

a slice of ginger, onion and garlic (add fragrance to rice)

Optional:

1 screwpine leave

1 lemongrass

1. Rinse and soak rice in water for 10 mins.

2. Drain rice and add coconut milk, salt, oil, ginger, garlic, onion and optional items.

3. Cook in the rice cooker.

2 Likes

I see! I’m more familiar with the Malaysian name strangely. Thanks for the coconut rice recipe.

For the time being. :laughing: Beef rendang, roti jala, nasi kandar, roti canai, Nyonya laksa, otak-otak, kueh lapis and kueh serimuka.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Beef rendang, roti jala, nasi kandar, roti canai, Nyonya laksa, otak-otak, kueh lapis and kueh serimuka.

Wow! a long list of request::smiley:

Ok, no problem… today I share my beef rendang -

Happy trying and give me your feedback. :blush:

(NB. Post edited by mod to combine different versions of ingredients with the directions. See the recipe beef rendang a few posts below.)

2 Likes

Sorry, a bit greedy, take your time! Thanks so much. Don’t hesitate to ask for recipes or help if you need anything.

1 Like

Except the list of ingredients that needs big effort to find here (Paris), the recipe is simpler than I thought. Thanks!!

Thanks for the latest recipe. My partner really enjoys beef rendang when we’ve been in Malaysian restaurants in the UK but we’ve never cooked it. Again, it is going to have to wait until things are more normal and I can get out to one of ther Asian shops - fresh turmeric and galangal are not available from normal supermarkets here. Or could I use dried turmeric instead, and more ginger instead of the galangal? I know it won’t be quite the same .

Yeah, I understand the problem in your country, some items will not be easily available unlike in my country. This recipe is for those who are unable to source the optional ingredients -

Beef Rendang

1kg beef (cut into small cubes)

750 gms coconut milk

2-3 tbsp brown sugar

4 tbsp tamarind juice

Salt as required

1 cup oil

Grind to smooth paste:

6 pcs shallot

7 cloves of garlic

2 big size onion

4 pcs lemon grass

1” fresh turmeric or 1 tsp turmeric powder

1 ½” ginger

6 pcs dry cili

6 tbsp grated coconut –lightly toasted

1 ½” tsp coriander seed

1 tsp fennel seed

1 tsp cumin seed

Optional :

3 kaffir lime leaves

3 tumeric leaves (chopped)

1 ½” galangal

4 pcs cili padi

1. Heat oil, add the grinded paste and cook till oil separates.

2. Add beef, coconut milk, brown sugar, salt and cook the meat to tender.

3. Lastly, add tamarind juice, kaffir leaves, turmeric leaves and cook till sauce thickens.

I have tried cooking rendang without the optional items and the taste was equally good. So guys, you can still enjoy the rendang.

I forgot to attach a picture in my earlier post, for those who are not sure what is “rendang” .

6 Likes

We used to go to a little restaurant in lower Manhattan which was owned by a husband & wife. She was Maylasian & he was French. She did the cooking & he did the baking. It was just terriffic.

2 Likes

Roti canai is a “Flattened bread”. Making roti canai is an art. The dough is flattened by method of throwing the dough in the air in a spinning motion, with the objective of getting thinner and bigger flat dough.

Roti canai is a very popular breakfast in Malaysia, often available in restaurants throughout the day and it is also everyone’s favourite. It is usually eaten with dhall curry, fish curry, chicken curry and sambal.

Ingredients:

4 cups all purpose flour

1 ¼ cup water

3 tbsp butter (melted)

1 egg

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp condensed milk

Instructions:

1. In a mixing bowl, add in flour, salt, egg, melted butter, condensed milk and water.

2. Mix to incorporate and knead for 10 minutes using electric dough maker. Leave to rest for 10 minutes and knead for another 5 minutes.

3. Divide the dough into 10 small balls. Coat each ball generously with oil and rest for 1 to 2 hours.

4. Spread some oil on the working surface. Take one ball and lightly flatten it. Press and push the dough with the heel of your palm to make it bigger. Stretch it as thin as possible, until you can almost see through it. Now and then spread some soften butter on it to help the stretching. You can lift up one edge of the dough and gently pull to stretch it even more. Scrape and push the upper end of the dough to the middle. Do the same to the lower end, forming a wrinkle thin log. Starting at one end of the log, roll it into a circle and tuck the other end inside. See picture below after this process.:point_down:

Roti-Canai%20dough
5. Take one rolled circle and flatten it into more or less 10-15 cm diameter. Place the flatten dough on the pan with low heat. Cook till lightly brown by adding drops of oil in between.

Roti-Canai

7 Likes

Thanks a lot. This is definitely one of those practice makes perfect cooking.

How long one can make those in advance? Or they have to be consumed instantly after cooking?

I’ve made Cape Malay rooti in South Africa which is quite flaky - although not as flaky as this looks.

1. The dough can be kept overnight in room temperature before cooking.

2. It is best to be consumed instantly after cooking, in order to enjoy the soft and flaky texture.:smile:

1 Like

I’ve made Cape Malay rooti in South Africa which is quite flaky :+1:

Give a try to this too!:smiley:

1 Like

Today, I would like to share the recipe on “kuih seri muka”.

This dessert is made of two layers. The bottom layer is made of glutinous rice steamed with coconut milk. The top green layer is made of sweet green flavoured custard cooked with coconut milk which makes it creamy. Screwpine leaves are used to extract natural colouring for the top custard layer.

Ingredient:

A

400 g glutinous rice

100 ml coconut milk

70 ml water

Pinch of salt

B

9 screwpine leaves or green colouring

3 tbsp water

150 g sugar

400 g coconut milk

5 g corn flour

40 g rice flour

2 eggs

Pinch of salt

• Soak glutinous rice for at least 4 hours. Strain the glutinous rice and mix coconut milk, water, salt, a knotted screwpine leaf and steam for 40 minutes or until cooked.
  • Prepare screwpine leaves extract by blending the leaves with 3 tbsp water or substitute screwpine leaves with green coloring. In another bowl, mix the extract or colouring along with sugar, coconut milk, corn flour, rice flour, salt and eggs.
  • Stir mixture in a pot over low heat until it turns semi-solid. Remove pot from stove and mix thoroughly.
  • Once glutinous rice is cooked, transfer to an oiled cake pan.
  • Pour cooked custard mixture onto compacted glutinous rice. Steam for about 50 minutes to an hour. Allow the dessert to cool to at room temperature before cutting into smaller pieces.
3 Likes