As sure as eggs are eggs - it's World Egg Day today

As a wee one until teenage years (and the advent of low cholesterol diet guidelines) I just loved sb eggs with toast ‘logs’ and ma made them best. After the household went practically egg free, I lost my desire for eggs and really couldn’t get into them until early adulthood. For me now it is either scrambled, a deluxe omelet south-of-the-border style, Eggs El Tovar with scramled or an omelet with 'rooms, jack cheese and chives. I’d like to get back into the occasional sb egg. Just gotta get brave, life will be so less complicated.

3 Likes

nothing against egg cups, but i much prefer mixing the egg together with the toast and bacon and eating all together — can’t do that in an egg cup.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t usually have bacon with SBE. When I want bacon I prefer to have it with either fried or scrambled eggs.

But I rarely have bacon in Germany. That’s where the amazing cold cuts, sausages and cheeses come in. Plus freshly baked rolls… a good SBE can stand on its own (plus a touch of salt maybe) :slight_smile:

My favorite egg treatment is as follows: Heat a flour tortilla on a comal, top with black beans smashed a bit with a fork. Add fermented red chilis. Fold in half. On the other side of the comal, fry an egg in oil or butter. When somewhat cooked but still kinda runny, remove the tortilla to a plate and put the egg inside the folded tortilla.!

7 Likes

That’s something I spent some time studying when I was a lab technologist, and a bit later in my next career. It seems some folks who are high in total cholesterol (and high in triglycerides generally, and have unfavorable HDL/LDL ratios) are going to be so no matter how strict a diet they are on. A best bud/roomie, Ron, fell into this category when I was in the Army. He was trying out for Special Forces Medic but failed because his chol/trig were too high. No matter what he did (complete vegan diet for 9 mos) mattered.

But luckily for these folks, the statin-type drugs do seem to drive their numbers in the right direction. No help for my friend Ron back then, though.

Others may be high in chol/triglycerides and have a bad HDL/LDL ratio, but readily benefit from moderate diet changes and a (surprisingly) tiny bit of exercise, like a daily stroll (a mile or less) - just taking in the evening air. For these latter folks, it seems such a stroll reduces circulating cortisone/stress hormones, and this has a positive effect, lowering overall triglycerides and pretty strongly affecting the HDL/LDL ratio in the right direction. I have another friend who, unlike Ron (mentioned above), went complete vegetarian and who had his cholesterol drop from around 230 to about 190. So for him it worked very well.

I hate to understate the notion of mild exercise, though - there are multiple studies indicating that “This One Weird Trick” of taking an evening calm-down stroll (if you’re stressed to hell) is efficacious in (first) dropping your cortisol levels and (second) helping at least somewhat square up your HDL/LDL or cholesterol levels.

6 Likes

Dad had his first heart attack in 1972 after suffering angina for about a year. Mother instituted the low cholesterol (meaning ‘no eggs’) for us and dad quit smoking. Type A personality, too. He had a five way bypass done in 1975. Was given 5 years if he behaved himself. He lasted 16 more. Pneumonia took him down. Fortunately, cholesterol hasn’t been my problem.

6 Likes

Wow, that is a record to be proud of. The men (dads/grandads) in my family don’t go so long.

I’m planning to break their record, though.

Smiley face!

:grinning:

3 Likes

:smiley: Back at 'cha!

1 Like

Just made again a couple of days ago:

And also Chinese stir-fried tomato egg. Both of these are good when I don’t even know what I want to eat.

Also in that category:
Thai omelet, particularly with imitation crab or ground pork served with Thai Sriracha
Egg foo young
Gyeranjjim
Stir-fried egg and shrimp
Mapo eggs

A rosti or potato hash with a fried egg

3 Likes

I think you’ve posted this (the Serious Eats recipe) before, and, if so, I think I promised to myself that I would make it. But I didn’t.

Now Ima-gonna.

Promise again. And thanks for posting (and/or re-posting).

Edit - oops, sorry, what do you usually serve with? EL basmati rice, or naan or other? Many thanks.

1 Like

I like rice but I’m sure a flatbread would be tasty, too.
I make it a little differently most times. I like to cook the onions longer than called for (maybe 10 minutes) so they are softer and sweeter, and because I rarely have fresh chilies here I just use cayenne. I like to double or at least 1.5x the sauce. I also tend to not cook the sauce quite as much at the end either so it’s a bit more saucy. If I have scallions and/or cilantro that need using I usually toss them in.
There are more complicated versions of this type of curry with tamarind, curry leaves, and other ingredients, but I always find it so satisfying as is that I don’t see the point. The tomato and fish sauce combo just tastes like more than the sum of its parts.

1 Like

Some interesting recipes here https://www.foodandwine.com/breakfast-brunch/eggs/eggs