Are you a truffle fan?

I really don’t like them! Have had the white ones, the black ones and even the obviously phony oils. The ‘underneath’ funky taste ruins food for me. Just wondering about their popularity as they seem to appear on many menus lately often embedded so they can’t be left off.

1 Like

They do appear more frequently on menus these days. Can’t remember where last decade we ordered chips and dip, the latter being truffled creme fraiche, the former freshly fried potato chips. Scrumptious stuff.

1 Like

Truffle is one of those acquired taste kind of things. I don’t mind it but don’t go out of my way to have it, either. And certainly don’t want it in e.ve.ry.thing.

It’s a bit like sesame oil in my case. I like a tiny bit for the flavour but more than that it’s nausea-inducing. Apparently not many people have this issue.

Why does it have that weird taste:

2 Likes

Love them!

1 Like

Not a fan here either, and I eat plenty of funky foods. I’m expecting a lot of umami (like a mushroom), but all I get is stale, somewhat oily-smelling stank - no real flavor at all, IMO. Have not cared for this on fries, popcorn, shaved on pasta and any other way I’ve had it. I love weird pungent food otherwise like pidan, shrimp paste, and other fermented goodies. Big bonus is they don’t cost nearly as much as truffles do.

1 Like

Huge truffle fan. I can appreciate how the flavor would be off-putting because the funk is what the fuss is all about.

I had the luck of a lifetime pleasure of attending a truffle festival last fall (tacked on to the end of a business trip). Fresh truffles harvested in season near the source were so much more vibrant than the very rare taste or two of truffle preserved in butter I had experienced before that. Funky and delicious.

If I see truffle on a menu item most places, I tend not to trust because in my experience it’s the imitation flavored oil. Confession: I even enjoy the fake truffle flavor now and then.

1 Like

They don’t do anything for me. When I visited Paris I had dinner at a very small place that does a nightly 3 course truffle dinner. They sold truffles too. The meal was fine but I wasn’t blown away by the flavor of the truffles. I figured this experience would have better quality truffles than what I had been served in the States. I’ll eat them but I won’t go out of my way or pay big bucks for them.

1 Like

Yes, indeed. Mostly I see high prices that aren’t justified to me. If I can get my hands on a bit of quality truffle butter at a fair price or lucky enough to be somewhere in season (once in a lifetime!), then I’m happy to indulge. A rare treat. Very.

1 Like

Call me a Philistine if you will, but I agree with kobuta. I don’t have an active dislike of truffles. I just find them very underwhelming

i’m a cheap date. I don’t like caviar either. or a handful of other high ticket menu teasers.

Love them.

Though recent ubiquitousness on menus usually means fake stuff that can be left off (truffle oil, typically).

Anything real is readily reflected in price.

3 Likes

I third this sentiment. I have always wondered if I couldn’t appreciate them fully because I can’t smell them (I don’t have a sense of smell; I have been this way from birth, as far as I know), but it sounds like plenty of other people with functioning olfactories feel the same way.

I think I like them, but my experience is limited to the occasional whiff. I have some truffle salt I use when I stumble upon it.

1 Like

Truffles are like perfume, with quality products and used properly they can produce the most tantalizing results for the senses. When misusing or over using the cheap oils your left with a stinky French whore.

1 Like

Caviar I quite like. Lobster I can never see the point of, flavourwise.

1 Like

Lobster is like movie theater popcorn, it’s all about the butter!!! Speaking of which I’m now wondering what a truffle infused butter would taste like with lobster achluewruijbcssfjokteasgjkyeaastuk…
(sorry about that, just typing that caused my arteries to clog and I may have had a slight heart attack)

1 Like

Yes, I’ve had some decent lobster rolls in New England - the butter definitely gives it flavour. But don’t get me going on popcorn - I have a serious aversion to the smell of it, let alone the taste. Fortunately, it’s not too common in the UK and I can only recall once having to move seats at the cinema to avoid it.

1 Like

Popcorn isn’t a popular snack over there? Hmmmm interesting. Do they serve it in cinemas or is the instance you a referencing a rare one? Little facts like that fascinates me.

Definitely. But it’s fairly recent “progress”. I suppose since the development of the multiplex cinemas which have generally replaced the stand alone local outlets. My village used to have its own place - a 1930s art deco design - but it closed in 2001, pretty much in conjunction with the opening of a multiplex a few minutes drive away.

1 Like

See that’s what I find interesting, that happened in the US probably about 40 years ago when I was still a child. Every town had a 1 or 2 screen theater that showed movies but by the 1980’s the multiplex with 6-10+ screens started to hit and by the 90’s most of the 1 or 2 screen cinemas were closed. The one from my home town has survived but it no longer shows movies it’s a playhouse.

Thanks for the education!

1 Like