Are you a truffle fan?

We gradually become more Americanised - speech, food, social activities, cultural norms, etc - but it takes time for things to become embedded in British society. I remember McDonalds opening in Manchester in the early/mid 80s and friends not really being at all sure about it. What, you have to order at a counter and wait for it? And there’s no knife and fork? And this is a restaurant? We’d had our first visit to the States in 1980 so were able to be the “burger expert” in our group.

2 Likes

Put me in the wild-about-them category. Only disappointing when I get the mild (white?) ones that have some aroma but no flavor. I even like the oils, and I have a jar of truffle-infused salt that I’ve been using on hard-boiled (jammy-centered) eggs lately. Love them in pasta especially.

2 Likes

Like Maria Carmen, I LOVE them. Even the smell of the fakie oils sometimes. Think they would be great in butter for lobster and also taste fab on popcorn, potatoes, rice pilafs and so on. I wonder how they would play with the tarragon in a classic Bernaise sauce. Ummm,
Maybe in Hollandaise for Eggs Benedict…

2 Likes

Very sad what’s happened to the old cinemas! Many were decorated with Egyptian themes or Art Deco as John mentioned above. In the town where my dad lives, a group of activists got historical status for the Egyptian theatre. So, with a lot of fundraising and possibly some grant money, it was restored to its former grandeur and is now a venue for plays, concerts and stuff like that.

1 Like

Agreed! With dishes that conceived with truffle in mind, they usually work very well. My favourite is cheese with truffle.

Quality products are very important. Most Chinese truffles do not have the same taste at all. Unfortunately they are flooding in many Parisian restaurants. For those casual shavings, I prefer to do without the truffles.

For those who like truffles, you prefer white or black?

But doesn’t it depend on WHAT lobster and WHAT caviar? Cruising and Carribean island versions opened my eyes to this about “lobster” when compared to a real deal New England “lobster roll”. Not a great deal of experience with what most would consider “caviar”.

2 Likes

I was actually going to say one of my favorite dishes with truffles is actually mac n cheese. lol Talk about a waste of truffles but they do pair so well with the cheese!!! Another favorite of mine is one of my favorite local steakhouses serve popcorn tossed in truffle oil with copped scallions. I would NEVER have believed you could get me addicted to popcorn but my Gawd is that combination delicious.

2 Likes

Making popcorn is when I use my truffle salt. On the popcorn I cook in my wok, then douse with real butter. Most movie popcorn is not worth the money and calories.

Your post makes me believe my truffle salt is no good, it doesn’t smell, taste truffle, not even in ingredient now I read: only aroma. The price misled me in believing it was the real thing.

Well you didn’t hear that from me! :grin: Can’t say why, but I think popcorn is a perfect place for my needs.

1 Like

Exactly and completely! Taking on a whole lobster at a Maine lobster pound. Just drawn butter, and hot corn on the side. Thing’s only been out of the water half an hour.

Second best, its brother, cold the next day. Sitting on the deck with a plate of picked lobster, mayo, a fresh baguette, a bottle of chilled white wine.

Once these, I can give it a pass.

Caviar in very small doses as a garniture I can handle. But not big spoonfuls like a friend enjoys.

Where I am, all kinds of fish eggs get called caviar. I went to a tasting, and they were quite different!

Caviar vs roe on Chowhound.

1 Like

What did they serve in cinemas before that?

oh, YES on truffled Hollandaise and Bernaise!

Oh I’ve got to try that. The truffle flavor profile matched with the nutty oakish flavor of a properly dry aged steak. That might be the new love of my life!!!

Well thanks for the affirmative on that! Enjoy your camping and your food looks beautiful and delicious too!

1 Like

I’m not John, but I happened to read that way back, during the silent film era, there were vendors with carts outside the theatres. They sold popcorn as well as different kinds of fresh roasted nuts. Don’t know what other types of things were on offer. The theater folks, seeing how popular the snacks were for movie guests, decided to bring it all in house and make their own profit.

well thank you!

Yes, I knew this - IIRC in-theater concession stands became more common in the Depression when ticket sales were dropping. I do wonder though what they served in the UK in lieu of popcorn so I hope Harters will answer.

For any truffle lovers out there, see the below link to my post back in April.

1 Like