Are there any ingredients that completely ruin a dish for you?

I hope the long run is just around the corner, and I might be a CASA worker…and get food with them. So its on topic!

One thing I just remembered. Don’t really like sweets with any kind of mint really. In fact, if one makes peppermint cookies or chocolate coated mint cookies, etc., they need to be segregated from the other cookies/sweets, elsewise ALL will be tainted with the flavor of mint. I like it in iced tea or even brewed mint tea over ice, but I LOVE it in savory applications. I’m kinda the same way with ginger too - love the savory applications.

The kids both liked mint chocolate chip ice cream, and I was happy to buy it, cause no chance of me diving into it. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Is that you, ( my daughter 's name)?

10/4 good buddy on the mint/chocolate thing…first off I really prefer vanilla to chocolate, my family thinks I am a mutant, which I probably am, but add it to mint…feh!

2 Likes

Vanilla is an underrated flavor IMO.

6 Likes

I like uncooked fresh leek.

Funny, I love fresh fennel bulb in salads especially with Sicilian Blood Oranges and very fine arcs of red onion on a bed of rucola (arugula) and radicchio, however, just do not care for cooked or roasted fennel.

Another pet peeve would be, red rinded cow cheeses and orange cow cheeses. Detest the taste and the waxy texture with a passion …

2 Likes

Why - does she have the same dislikes?!

Several! But she does like chocolate and dessert.

Black liquorice (and the liquers)

2 Likes

I am extremely picky and fussy about labels, additives and anything that is in my food that should not be !

Oh yes, there are some more pet peeves …

Sour notes in any cuisine. (This includes what is called Sour Cream in English). The aromas are dreadful.

Avocado in any cuisine or preparation.

Genetically modified anything.

Pasta made from Canadian Flour … ( Only use Italian Ecological made in Italy ) …

Creamy textures in desserts regardless of their origins.

Cow milk … as a beverage or added to coffee. (Only Italian Espresso)

I buy non industrialed sold in glass bottles for our grandsons …

Cinnamon- if I’m not expecting it. It’s not that I categorically dislike it, but I need some fore-warning. I’ve returned cappuccinos that have been powdered with cinnamon when I wasn’t asked whether I wanted it.

1 Like

I was wondering what was wrong with Canadian wheat. Read a bit on that, Glyphosate before harvest.

1 Like

Me too

1 Like

Cake frosting made with vegetable shortening, although I can tolerate a 50/50 ratio and I definitely tell when it’s cut with shortening. Cake fillings made with dream whip. Bavarian cream that’s mostly corn starch. And I’m getting close to hating American buttercream, although my childhood memories are not letting me.

More idiosyncrazies: refuse to eat cold cake (as in ice cold) even with good meringue buttercream, I swear I can feel the coagulated fat in the frosting and filling.
And I read this here (I forgot from who) and now I do it, I will only eat fresh fruit at room temperature or slightly cooler. Anytime colder or warmer is a hard pass.
I’ve become particularly fussy about technique over the years, sometimes unbearably so.

1 Like

It is also fortified and Gmo developed.

No thanks on this !

Only buy ecological Italian flour products.

Since I will happily eat raisins as a standalone snack, or even if snuck into toast with some cinnamon, I’ve never considered myself a raisin hater. I’ve come to realize, I hate adding raisins into anything in just about anything else. Twice now, I’ve had waitstaff describe a lovely special or favorite dish, and once they get to “it has raisins” I immediately lose interest. No, your raisins in bronzino does not sound good. No, your random raisins in the lamb dish does not make it more enticing. :nauseated_face:

These are both real examples from the last 3 days. Ugh…stop it with the raisins.

6 Likes

Ok… but what about some green or red grapes in your salad…of course you like that they are not raisins
Agreed there are just some foods where people experiment with such as raisins to impart some sweetness or texture …really not required…
Thanksgiving I make one apple pie with golden raisins and I make one without …

Not a fan either. The texture ruins rice pudding.

Grapes are ok in salads or cooked foods. I’m even ok with dried cranberries in salads, but not raisins in salads. Raisins in cookies are acceptable, but have to admit I don’t think I’d try pie with raisins.

1 Like

Fruit in main dishes is just something we didn’t grow up eating in the land of meat and potatoes.
I’ve tried and tried but fruit makes a much better dessert.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes