Are there any ingredients that completely ruin a dish for you?

Some purple peppers have streaks of green.

Hmmā€¦happens to my BIL too, so he canā€™t eat green peppers. He can eat other bell peppers, just not the green ones. I personally love green bell peppers, so not something I can relate to.

Oh, itā€™s not like I CANā€™T. Iā€™d just very much would rather not. If I were a guest in someoneā€™s home that had a green bell pepper ingredient that I couldnā€™t escape, I would. But then would whine later.

2 Likes

My sentiments exactly. I donā€™t go out of my way to eat them, but i also wonā€™t bother to pick them out of a dish

2 Likes

When weā€™re out and there are green bell peppers in, say, breakfast potatoes, we call them ā€œlurkersā€ and pick them out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That sounds like my husband with ā€œfatā€. I keep saying Iā€™m going to get him one of those jewlerā€™s loupes.

1 Like

Thatā€™s me and raisins! Canā€™t eat them cause I hate them and if I accidentally do it takes me forever to chew it and get it down!!

Microwaved potatoes. That has to be one of the worst tastes ever!!!

New to the site, so going over these old threads - some of which are really interesting and fun to read.

Brussel Sprouts, but probably due more to bad childhood memories than the vegetable itself.

1 Like

Miracle whip. Is it mayo or frosting? Canā€™t tell. Blech.

3 Likes

I have an aversion to soft fats and gristle in meat, so finding that in my dish will ruin it. Iā€™m good with the crispy fat i.e. well done bacon or crispy chicken skin. But pork belly, short ribs, flabby chicken skin, that fat youā€™ll find all around the interior of a chicken thigh - those make me gag.
Edited to add this applies to overly white charcuterie. The fat part of prosciutto. Salumis with big blobs of white in them. Not my thing.

4 Likes

Head cheese or gelatin type foods I have avoided for the same reason and the sweetness described to me about Miracle Whip kept me away.

5 spice

1 Like

Funny, I donā€™t mind jello, or even meat jello. Growing up, my Russian Jewish grandparents used to serve a dish that was effectively chilled extra gelatinous chicken broth (smooth, like the texture of fruit jello) that had shredded chicken and sliced hard boiled eggs in it. I liked it just fine, although I havenā€™t eaten it since then.

3 Likes

LOVE head cheese, especially the sour kind,

1 Like

Same as @Sasha, but gristle or fine bone fragments in meat. Iā€™ll stop eating at that point, skeeves me out.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a big cilantro fan. It just tastes soapy and overpowers everything. I can tolerate it in some very spicy Szechuan or Thai foods where it is a minor character and might offset some of the heavy spices.

4 Likes

No - I wonā€™t go there. You can have my portion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cilantro
tarragon
5 Spice
zaā€™atar
anything savory that is too sweet (hot smoked salmon with maple sugar)
raw onions
not a fan of chocolate
walnuts and honeydew (allergic)
green bell peppers
lavender and rose
most desserts

Geez - what a picky person!

1 Like

Ah,forgot smoked salmon. Actually, any kind of salmon. Canned isnā€™t too bad if I just think of it as canned tuna and use it accordingly. Basically, salmon is just too rich for me. I canā€™t handle any of the healthful oil-rich fish.