Are There Any Foodstuffs You Collect/Hoard

Just wondering if there are any particular foodstuffs, condiments, spices etc that you collect. A couple of mine are every type of sugar imaginable and colored sprinkles. Oddly enough I very rarely use any sprinkles, just think they’re pretty in a tacky sort of way. Oh and every size and shape of cupcake liners for every holiday imaginable. These do get used when we make Greek pastries. Ok that is my confession, how about yours? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Such a good question to ask.

We have a large selection of dried spices and herbs. Seems a reoccurring need to purchase more than we could use in a timely way. The freezer contains homemade herb butters and ice cubed sizes.

The rest of our foodstuffs can be lacking but Eggs, bread and fresh produce are always on hand or one of us just stocks up. Many x’s we would arrive home from the work day having bought the exact same items😊.

1 Like

Ohhhh yes. Spicy chilli crisp, and core indian spices.

Generally highly correlated to international market visits :joy: - I have to cull my cart before checkout in Chinatown, or at the japanese market, or more recently at Sahadi.

Editing this a third time. Hoard & collect are different to me.

I hoard cardamom, saffron, other indian spices, and chilli crisp - I never want to run out of the type and quality I have.

I collect interesting-to-me ingredients that I may use infrequently. Recently, dried limes and fenugreek powder, flavored honey (truffle, spicy, cocoa, etc), yuzu kosho in a couple of forms, chili peppers from different regions, etc.

2 Likes

I collect food magazines and cook books. I hoard spices, flours, cereals, chocolate (ready for pastries), wines, ciders, tea…

:weary: Hopless!

2 Likes

If cooking stuff applies, then I need to attend a frying pans anonymous meeting.
And kitchen knives too.
Guilty, your honor.
:frowning:

1 Like

I have a serious cook book collection issue - but I haven’t bought any in a few years so I’m hoping that has passed.

From a food item standpoint, I really try not to hoard too many because I’ve learned that they go bad by the time you finally get around to using them . . . .but I have more salts than any one person should have. Salt doesn’t go bad . . . right :wink:

1 Like

You are right, collecting and hoarding are 2 different things but it’s a fine line! I do tend to want everything I don’t have when going to the various Asian markets. So yes lots of spices for me, pastes, different rices and fllours. Among other things. Probably need a 12 step program…

2 Likes

Lol - it doesn’t! :upside_down_face:

Planning on creating a topic on cookware, dishes, kitchen linens etc! Then I will have more to confess…

This forum is our program :grimacing:

1 Like

There was mention of this on the Korean cuisine of the quarter thread, but there is also a sauce and oil “problem” :joy:

2 Likes

Mustard when it is on sale…say for instance 5 for $10 bucks… We use about a bottle every two months…so lasts us for 10 months to a year.
Canned beans…5 for 5 even if we don’t need them…will take 3 or 4 months to use them
Poterhouse steaks lately at $5.99 per pound…I will buy 8 or 9 at about 8 or 9 bucks per steak… cooked and consumed in approximately 2 months…

1 Like

Phreddy what kind of mustard are you buying? Guldens brown goes on sale here for 88 cents sometimes.

I’m a hot sauce guy so I usually have more than I need, ranging from probably 15-25 different bottles. I use them though and don’t collect them.

Guilty on the Guldens…but we do not eat them straight up…used very often in Vinaigrette…“American Style” and then with Franks & Beans…

2 Likes

I “collect” salts, mustards, vinegars, and nut butters (well, fairly high turnover rate on the nut butters!).

I “hoard” kosher salt, the crunchy black edamame i love, pretzel fish, sunflower seeds, and clif builders crunchy peanut butter (easy mini meal on the go).

My limited storage situation means my “pantry” with any and all food not in the fridge is one good size cupboard so that prevents me from collecting.

1 Like

Pretzel fish?

Pepperidge Farms “Pretzel Goldfish”… always a bag here too!

2 Likes

The only kind of fish i eat :heart_eyes: also great salt to pretzel ratio. And i live alone so i can finish the bag before any go stale.

(Although i just noticed the slogan “the snack that smiles back” which is kind of really creepy!! What?!? )

1 Like