Are IKEA Stores Still a Thing?

In San Francisco Ikea just opened one of those downtown Ikea stores that focuses on products that don’t need to be picked up by car or I suppose they deliver. But of more interest to me is the giant Nordic foodhall that Ikea’s parent company is opening next door.

4 Likes

Just ask my students …:smiling_imp:

One of the two words I referred to above. In the UK, the P-word, and the w-word, are as offensive as the n-word.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Spelled differently with zero connection to the slur :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Yep, and we have been here before

(Meanwhile I’m not sure defending the use of an obscure contraction whose homophone is strongly offensive to some is a hill I’d want to fight, never mind die on, vs. just suggesting people use one of many alternative and more common words.)

2 Likes

Really different from my own personal experience! The millionaires I know personally have multiple homes worth multiple millions, drive more than a few very expensive cars, travel and eat out and consume alcohol at luxury levels, pay for coincierge medical care, furnish their homes with expensive antique furniture, rugs, art, etc.

Then again, I only know a few.

Because as it’s spelled, it’s NOT a slur. As @linguafood showed, it’s a Boston-area slang for a package store to buy beer and was explained as such, used since the early 1900s. Different spelling from the UK derogatory word.

4 Likes

Def not a hill I’m gonna die on. The people who want to be offended and read offensive stuff into anything will continue to be offended & will spend an inordinate amount of time & energy to prove that they are right.

I wonder just how satisfying that perceived “gotcha moment” must feel - it must be about as delicious as virtue signaling.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

:raising_hand_woman:t5:

For the record; I want to know if I am being offensive… privately if possible. I may not be able to avoid it, but I would like to try to understand.

I like the word “poverty” because it has a relatively agreed upon definition; including absolute, relative, situational, and generational specifiers, that take a number of things into account.

About IKEA; I helped my daughter there when she lived in Queens and maybe San Francisco. How do people without cars and elevators manage? Somehow even delivery was tricky.

5 Likes

I do not enjoy the experience of IKEA, but their things are nicely designed and reasonably affordable. I can appreciate the stuff enough to put up with the shopping experience. If you are just browsing, their displays can be kind of fun. The things that require assembly seem to work well and to be thoughtfully designed.

3 Likes

Take out ‘reasonably’, and we march together.

I’m just not much interested in crowd dynamics. Remember when Krispy Kreme came to town?

1 Like

Yeah, crowds can be their own life form, not a friendly one.

An old classmate and I went to see a special Ikea design display at the College Park store maybe 25 years ago. It was several “living small” — and I mean really small — habitats staged in trailers/containers in the parking lot. Like the new micro apartments. The spaces were phenomenal. I’m setting the date at 25 years ago because the TVs they used were 4:3 and not flat-screen. I thought the living spaces they’d created were amazing— and attractive! Had I been a college student or young person just starting out, I would have been thrilled with such a space, tiny as it was. (I’m thinking 200-250 sq feet tops ) I wish my first efficiency apartment would have been even half as nice — or functional.

4 Likes

Whose products were they outfitted with?

Think/live small. Everything you need is at IKEA.

They still have those. But staged in small cubes in the showrooms. You can walk theough a fully-staged flat in aeveral different sizes.

My local one also shows full rooms, along with the budget for the entire room, which is a helpful guideline, I think.

I’m with you. The stuff is nice. The store gives me hives.

2 Likes

Their own. Except for the TV. And the kitchen appliances.

My store even sells appliances