Are IKEA Stores Still a Thing?

Same with the money differences in my parents’ families - perhaps even more pronounced, since my mother grew up on a (non-dustbowl) farm and my grandmother was a teacher. My mother once observed that if she hadn’t been told there was a Depression, she would not have known - because they had everything they needed, and wants were pretty simple in a rural town. My dad never spoke of his Depression childhood circumstances, except with humor. He and all his friends ended up doing very well in life. One curious thing I noticed, though, is that he could never understand why I bought an antique, or wanted to live in an old house or condo building. I think to him old meant second-hand … and poverty. He always wanted shiny and new.

3 Likes

Oh no doubt there are equally as many folks who go online exclusively to offend, troll, argue endlessly over the most inane things in an inherent need to be right about everything all the time.

Takes all kinds. I stay away from those who seek drama.

1 Like

But … but. .I am always right about everything. :joy::joy:

5 Likes

I don’t remember the exact term (perhaps @Phoenikia can help out as she seems to have an almost elephant-like memory for these things), but trust it was discussed and explained at nauseam.

I have a pretty low tolerance for assholery on any level, and am generally aware of terms that are considered universally offensive. Can’t speak for all the other non-american (or even American) members, of course.

1 Like

You and everyone else, cupcake :wink:

Curious why you left out this part of her post, which is rather relevant given the accusation of tone deafness on the side of members of my cooking group:

Of course, you weren’t there when it happened so can only go on secondhand information.

As I said. Some will take offense at anything, come hell or high water.

1 Like

Because if someone was deeply offended by the slur meaning, the rest doesn’t really matter enough to dig in on.

Actually exactly why I included the makrut/kaffir lime example. The slur context has little to do with the lime, and yet, most people here prefer to use makrut and would not argue in favor of continuing to use kaffir, even though the offense is in a different context, different country, and non-ingredient related.

I was mostly curious why it was on the offended person to move on from being offended, vs those using the term to consider using an alternative whether or not they thought the offense was legitimate, to accommodate a legitimate sentiment.

It was nothing like kaffir/makrut. The person chose to be offended at a term that SOUNDED like a slur. In a written exchange where the etymology and different spelling were evident and matter. People can use the term niggardly, right? Regardless of how it sounds.

I don’t even remember the person who left, which demonstrates they had little to contribute besides drama. Our group is better off without that kind of nonsense.

2 Likes

package store

Packie. A popular piece of Boston slang, “packie” — short for “package store” — describes a no-frills liquor store. And it’s almost always used in the context of a “quick run.”

I’ll let you figure out the rest.

3 Likes

In San Francisco Ikea just opened one of those downtown Ikea stores that focuses on products that don’t need to be picked up by car or I suppose they deliver. But of more interest to me is the giant Nordic foodhall that Ikea’s parent company is opening next door.

4 Likes

Just ask my students …:smiling_imp:

One of the two words I referred to above. In the UK, the P-word, and the w-word, are as offensive as the n-word.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Spelled differently with zero connection to the slur :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Yep, and we have been here before

(Meanwhile I’m not sure defending the use of an obscure contraction whose homophone is strongly offensive to some is a hill I’d want to fight, never mind die on, vs. just suggesting people use one of many alternative and more common words.)

2 Likes

Really different from my own personal experience! The millionaires I know personally have multiple homes worth multiple millions, drive more than a few very expensive cars, travel and eat out and consume alcohol at luxury levels, pay for coincierge medical care, furnish their homes with expensive antique furniture, rugs, art, etc.

Then again, I only know a few.

Because as it’s spelled, it’s NOT a slur. As @linguafood showed, it’s a Boston-area slang for a package store to buy beer and was explained as such, used since the early 1900s. Different spelling from the UK derogatory word.

4 Likes

Def not a hill I’m gonna die on. The people who want to be offended and read offensive stuff into anything will continue to be offended & will spend an inordinate amount of time & energy to prove that they are right.

I wonder just how satisfying that perceived “gotcha moment” must feel - it must be about as delicious as virtue signaling.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

:raising_hand_woman:t5:

For the record; I want to know if I am being offensive… privately if possible. I may not be able to avoid it, but I would like to try to understand.

I like the word “poverty” because it has a relatively agreed upon definition; including absolute, relative, situational, and generational specifiers, that take a number of things into account.

About IKEA; I helped my daughter there when she lived in Queens and maybe San Francisco. How do people without cars and elevators manage? Somehow even delivery was tricky.

5 Likes