Anyone know what makes DELI tuna & chicken salad special?

Well the capers don’t work with chicken salad I don’t think. Reason why I am not certain is because I used them in the chicken salad, but also used a jar of Hellman’s regular mayonnaise that was at least 4 years old and it had an off smell and taste. It was not bad, just turned towards a rancidity. Typical of manmade fake toxic vegetable oils that they use to make it. Not ever buying Hellman’s again - store kind anyways. They changed their recipe although they DENY it. They did change it and my friend confirmed through much research. It no longer tastes the same, lasts as long or makes those peaks on a spoon including a knife staying straight in the center of the jar when stuck in the middle. So Burman’s is my next choice from ALDI.
My chicken salad next time will be rotisserie breast meat, mayo. pickle relish, celery, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. OR same meat and just mayo, celery, sea salt, and pepper.

That may be them ! Because they were very dark smooth and round not oval and wrinkled like raisins. Huh another ingredient I never heard of using. My grandmother sure knew the old world ways of cooking, and probably healthier too. Cooking like growing a garden is slowly disappearing.

Can you get Duke’s? Because it beats all the others (as an admitted former Hellmann’s snob).

3 Likes

Mayo really needs to be current. Small jars are sometimes more economical if one doesn’t use much. I hate to toss foodstuffs but refuse to use iffy condiments.

5 Likes

I toss my pickles and mayo every 8 months if I haven’t used them up by then. Fresh pickles and a fresh jar of mayo, as well as fresh relish and yellow mustard, at the beginning of potato salad season (usually in May). I buy the medium-sized jar of mayo.

In terms of using up a jar of mayo more quickly, I have used it to grill grilled cheese, and I use it for chicken or fish before rolling them in breadcrumbs.

1 Like

This works really well.

1 Like

This sounds like a colorful euphemism :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Hahaha

Interesting. I thought they might be raisins as the can I use (and @Hungryman8 posted) lists currants as an ingredient.

I think gardening has increased significantly since 2020!

1 Like

At the beginning of tomato season I buy a six pack of Dukes!

7 Likes

Definitely. As has cooking.

3 Likes

Where do you order from?

Too bad it’s in plastic bottles.

I do use a fair amount of mayo in tomato pie,during tomato season!

1 Like

Yeah.

1 Like

Miracle Whip

Is

The

Key

Testing the aging potential of an egg/oil emulsion seems risky. It’s not expensive. Maybe toss after a year. I do refrigerate, but then, I’m a seatbelt guy.

As far as seed oils in commercial mayo, I don’t know what the alternative would be. I was buying avocado oil mayo from Costco but it tasted weird. A blend of kewpie and blue plate is the house go to currently, both seed oil based. Don’t love that but again, try finding a widely distributed olive oil one.

Homemade aioli is a different beast, sure, but nothing touches it. Learned the hard way not to use 100% extra virgin in a food processor. Bitter as a spurned spaniel. It’s the only fitting place for pomace oil.

2 Likes

Miracle Whip

Is lousy mayo

With lousy sweetener

So if you want it sweeter, do it yourself

2 Likes

My local Walmart has it.

In jars too.

I have never seen it at any deli . I would have ordered the chicken salad .